Use of Tesla superchargers

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
This has been brought up for a long time, that Tesla could offer paid access to other EVs and actually make good money. BUT Tesla would lose what is still a strong advantage for their cars until the US network becomes good enough. And by then it may not be worth it.
elon has had an open offer to any EV car company to use his superchargers for a price, not one has taken him up on the offer and all, excepting nissan use the CCS system. I think it is safe to say that porsche will never adapt their cars to use Elons system, especially in N. america because the units are incompatible.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
elon has had an open offer to any EV car company to use his superchargers for a price, not one has taken him up on the offer and all, excepting nissan use the CCS system. I think it is safe to say that porsche will never adapt their cars to use Elons system, especially in N. america because the units are incompatible.
where there is a will there is a way - there is no will on either parties front - Tesla or Porsche - currently the Tesla Supercharger network in North America has the wrong shape connector, but that could be fixed if there was a business agreement - electricity is electricity - and we already know the SC network “just works” in Europe when Tesla had some SC’s mis-configured.

I doubt we’ll ever see this come to pass - but Tesla supercharger network is _NOT_ incompatible - it’s not yet supported and is unlikely to be supported anytime soon - a physical adapter would be easy and affordable if anyone wanted to make this work with support from both Tesla and the auto manufacturers…

we are not lacking technology - we are lacking business agreements.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
where there is a will there is a way - there is no will on either parties front - Tesla or Porsche - currently the Tesla Supercharger network in North America has the wrong shape connector, but that could be fixed if there was a business agreement - electricity is electricity - and we already know the SC network “just works” in Europe when Tesla had some SC’s mis-configured.

I doubt we’ll ever see this come to pass - but Tesla supercharger network is _NOT_ incompatible - it’s not yet supported and is unlikely to be supported anytime soon - a physical adapter would be easy and affordable if anyone wanted to make this work with support from both Tesla and the auto manufacturers…

we are not lacking technology - we are lacking business agreements.
this is so pedantic.
as currently configured in north america the tesla superchargers are incompatible with any other ev.

could that be fixed by creating an adaptor, yes.

however not one EV manufacturer has chosen to take up elon on his pledge to allow usage of the tesla supercharging network.

as more an more non tesla EVs get on the road the North American tesla supercharging will become the betamax of the EV industry. it may be a superior system but it will never gain traction in the marketplace

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
this is so pedantic.
as currently configured in north america the tesla superchargers are incompatible with any other ev.

however not one EV manufacturer has chosen to take up elon on his pledge to allow usage of the tesla supercharging network.

as more an more non tesla EVs get on the road the North American tesla supercharging will become the betamax of the EV industry. it may be a superior system but it will never gain traction in the marketplace
this was covered before, Tesla’s offer was only a PR stunt and was never serious. His “conditions” were designed so no sane company would ever take them up. We don’t need to circle this again to be honest.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35030461/why-other-car-companies-dont-use-tesla-superchargers/

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
this was covered before, Tesla’s offer was only a PR stunt and was never serious. His “conditions” were designed so no sane company would ever take them up. We don’t need to circle this again to be honest.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35030461/why-other-car-companies-dont-use-tesla-superchargers/
nonetheless if a company was interested in partnering up with tesla the door was open. sure the initial offering was a bit outrageous but if a manufacturer was interested it is pretty certain that a more reasonable agreement could have been reached. however every other EV manufacturer had chosen the de facto CCS system for fast charging. and they are all negotiating deals with suppliers of chargers, most notably EA, I think GM is working with EVGO.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
what elon would charge for access would impact porsche
Imagine how many people would jump to Porsche with that amazing network support and been able not to even think about charges planning. VW can pay any money.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
@kort , @RickDC i agree with you both and wish it was a real option. I think it would be good for Tesla and for other manufacturers. But the point is it was never a real thing. No agreement could be reached because Tesla is not serious in opening up access. And in my view I don’t blame them, it is one of their big differentiators and they have no incentive to help their competition. Despite any statements make by Mr Musk Tesla is NOT altruistic, its a business.

Tesla created their standard when the others weren’t really in use, and it supported much higher rates. Now it no longer has that advantage, and reminder in EU they have to support standard by law and they do. I can’t see a compelling reason for them to switch here.

SDSoccerdad

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My Taycan will be my 4th EV (if you count my i8) and I've never so much as seen a public charger let alone used one. Over 70% of EV owners simply charge at home...

...and why would you think that Tesla is "stubborn" if they built and paid for that network for the benefit of their owners? (a Model X is my daily driver) Would you let everyone/anyone in your neighborhood swim in your pool?
If we were both single
this is so pedantic.

David - question from a new owner of a 4S, when using an adapter, is a Tesla destination charger the equivalent to a Level 2 charger when charging a Taycan? Thanks in advance

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
If we were both single

David - question from a new owner of a 4S, when using an adapter, is a Tesla destination charger the equivalent to a Level 2 charger when charging a Taycan? Thanks in advance
A Tesla destination charger is a level 2 charger.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
@kort , @RickDC i agree with you both and wish it was a real option. I think it would be good for Tesla and for other manufacturers. But the point is it was never a real thing. No agreement could be reached because Tesla is not serious in opening up access. And in my view I don’t blame them, it is one of their big differentiators and they have no incentive to help their competition. Despite any statements make by Mr Musk Tesla is NOT altruistic, its a business.

Tesla created their standard when the others weren’t really in use, and it supported much higher rates. Now it no longer has that advantage, and reminder in EU they have to support standard by law and they do. I can’t see a compelling reason for them to switch here.
Agreed, Tesla started building the supercharger network when they have no money, just an idea. VW group has the money, the richest with Toyota, they should build it, just a remainder, the money the spent with EA was a fine for cheating emission, so they have not excuse.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
If we were both single

@dickp and @kort answers are correct - Tesla Destination chargers are L2 chargers (much like PMCC’s) that vary from 20-80 amps installed at businesses - with the adapter your Taycan can use these L2 chargers.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
this is so pedantic.

Is not pedantic, when I bought my first Tesla in 2012, S85, included $2000 dollar for life use of superchargers, in fact we paid for it. At that time Chademo was 25-50 kw/h and Tesla knew the industry was playing games with compliance cars that no one want. Tesla back them has sold 12.000 cars and they already builded supercharger with 120Kw/h and everyone else was laughing. They started in the west and east regions, this is call vision like Apple. VW group an every other legacy automakers know that their nice cars will suck once they go for fast charging. Just imagine when we reach 1M cars EV non Tesla, how are we going to charge? The fact they are getting better isn’t enough, something has to be done and for me is all the rich automakers opening their wallets and build reliable superchargers plug and play.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In the long run, if the adoption of EV's is the favored path, then eventually the standards will converge either due to customer demand or fiat. Other wise it would be like Exxon and Shell and BP using different nozzles. Selling the same fuel but you can't get it into your car without the right fuel inlet. And if someone wants to argue that communication protocols make it impossible, that's just a standard that can be changed or modified or made backwards compatible.

Until then Tesla will milk it for all its worth 'cause they have one that works.
Sponsored