W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
First of all, I do not now, nor have ever owed a Tesla. Both my son and son-in-law do, however the vast majority of their travel is local. They both have installed charging equipment at their home with the 'Tesla plug'.

However in my experience there are only a couple of reasons why a company would create a requirement that one of their key product features is something unique in the marketplace. The first is a belief that their particular product feature works better than anything in the marketplace. The second is to keep any existing customer in the fold using the proprietary feature. I have not heard any discussion about how the Tesla plug is superior in terms of charging ability to another type of plug. Therefore I must assume that the real reason is to keep exiting customers getting something that continues to use the proprietary architecture when they upgrade. I have no problem with this strategy as it has a place in a quest for marketing dominance - especially when tied to an outstanding product. I am just not convinced that having a unique way for charging a vehicle is going to continue to be a deciding factor over the long haul.

If you think it makes a difference now then by all means have it be one of your top criteria in buying a BEV. For me, 99% of my trips are going to be local with charging overnight at home. Thus roadside charging stations did not even make the top 20 in terms of my criteria for choosing a new ride.

Finally, in terms of Musk opening up the supercharger network, I don't understand how that would work without one of three things happening - 1) he changes all of his plugs, 2) the other car manufacturers have a recall to change all of their sockets, or 3) there is a great opportunity for yet another adapter. I don't really see either of the first two happening so guess I'll watch for a new adapter.
In Europe they were forced to adopt the CCS (CCS2) plug or they would not be allowed to sell their cars.

When access is permitted then thank heavens for specing the 150kW 400V DC booster!
Sponsored

Beardo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BluTack 4S CT
Country flag
In the UK at least the Tesla Supercharger network is head and shoulders above all the others currently. I have an older Model S and have purchased a CCS->Tesla adapter as all the more recent superchargers are CCS only. There are a few remaining with both a CCS and Type 2 connector. This is the adapter:

Porsche Taycan Use of Tesla superchargers 1627374705249

This will be a massive win for all other electric cars in the UK, I'm sure existing Tesla owners will think less of the decision however.

The main issue as someone else mention further up the thread is cable length. They will only reach to a car with the charge port on the back corner of the car, i.e. Teslas. They certainly will not reach a Taycan charge port even if you go nose in.

So even the CCS compatible Superchargers will not work as it stands in the UK/Europe without an extension cable at a few hundred quid no doubt, but then company should be able to make one of those?

Beardo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BluTack 4S CT
Country flag
However in my experience there are only a couple of reasons why a company would create a requirement that one of their key product features is something unique in the marketplace. The first is a belief that their particular product feature works better than anything in the marketplace. The second is to keep any existing customer in the fold using the proprietary feature. I have not heard any discussion about how the Tesla plug is superior in terms of charging ability to another type of plug. Therefore I must assume that the real reason is to keep exiting customers getting something that continues to use the proprietary architecture when they upgrade. I have no problem with this strategy as it has a place in a quest for marketing dominance - especially when tied to an outstanding product. I am just not convinced that having a unique way for charging a vehicle is going to continue to be a deciding factor over the long haul.
There wasn't any other "standard" adapter when Tesla launched their cars/supercharger network. I don't think CCS was even an approved connector at that point never mind used anywhere. It's not an evil plan to lock people out, there was nothing else capable of the high charge speeds required.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Overall still of limited value where I live / travel so can't get overly excited about it (good for all however). Soon we'll be spoiled for choice as the race quickens pace to rollout ultrafast everywhere - coming to a forecourt near you (soon).

My nearest Tesla one is beside the Porsche Centre who somewhat frustratingly park non-EVs in the customer charging stations (new 150kW 960V ((800V) - no 150kW 400V DC booster required) which when available will be quicker than Tesla ;-)

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
I hope Musk really means this statement "Our goal is to support the advent of sustainable energy," he said. "It’s not to create a walled garden and bludgeon our competitors."

Also how others will use the charging stations "Tesla vehicles have a different connector in North America (which Musk hailed as "the best connector") to the charging port, so non-Teslas will need to use an adapter. Tesla will provide those at the Supercharger stations unless there's a theft problem, Musk said."

Looks like pricing will be variable "Tesla will also introduce dynamic pricing, charging more for electricity at rush hour, for example. When a station is empty it'll be cheaper than when it's "jam-packed," as Musk put it."

These remarks are reported to have come up during the 2nd quarter earnings call.

Gonna be fun to watch I imagine......

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I hope Musk really means this statement "Our goal is to support the advent of sustainable energy," he said. "It’s not to create a walled garden and bludgeon our competitors."
based on his history of bluff, bluster and plain old BS I don't think your hopes will be fulfilled.
in the US retrofitting their network to accommodate non teslas will be a very costly and time consuming effort that I just don't see tesla undertaking.
the EU nations are a different story because of tesla being forced to use the CCS standards, converting their chargers there could just be a matter of adjusting software.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
based on his history of bluff, bluster and plain old BS I don't think your hopes will be fulfilled.
in the US retrofitting their network to accommodate non teslas will be a very costly and time consuming effort that I just don't see tesla undertaking.
I'll stick with EA. They work well for me now and with their 5-year expansion plan I'm confident in their abilities to handle my road trip charging needs - especially with 350kw units.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
_IF_ the supercharger network is made available to non-Tesla EV’s this will be good for all EV’s and push this whole thing forward…given this is Musk it’s hard to sort fact from vision…

but the network is already physically compatibility in Europe - so easier there…in North American a physical adapter will be required…

Tesla wil probably charge the owners of non-Tesla EV’s for the adapter pushing the cost of “converting” the network on them - example: Tesla already has a $500 chademo adapter for existing Tesla owners so they can use Chademo chargers if they need/want to.

I’d guess a $749 CCS adapter with some extra cable length so you can plug you CCS EV into a SuperCharger - plug&charge support (via the CCS plug&charge protocol) I’d given a 30% chance of happening - they will just say “use the app” to activate your session.

charging session activation will be accomplished via an “app” (probably a new feature of the Tesla app)

charging speeds will be good, reliabilty will be high as the existing network works really really well and is well monitored and maintained

there are 3 speeds of Tesla chargers in North American

72 kW
150 kW
250 kW

Taycan owners who thought they were making a great decision by saving $460 on a $150,000 because they did not option the 400V/150 kw charging option will be slightly mifffed to be limited ot 50 kW at a Supercharger - but we can’t say it wasn’t well discussed.

Porsche will take 3 or 4 years after this network being physically available to integrate it on their PCM navigation routing/planning - cause you know Porsche rocks the software and IT integration tasks…
Well, in Canada, I didn't opt for this option because I needed to keep the cost of the car below $150k or else the tax would jump from 20% to 25% on the entire car ($7500 in additional taxes). I spec'd the car all the way to the last penny with options that I valued, and I didn't want to use up $500 for this option which I may or may not use. It's a gamble that I will get more utility out of the Porsche embossed headrests over the 150kW 400v option, and I just hope it pays off.

Yes the Chademo adapter for Tesla currently limits the charging speed at 50kW, and maybe this is because of overheating with speeds any higher than this. I'm not 100% sure, but if an adapter is required to use Tesla superchargers, I wouldn't be surprised if it caps the speed well below 150kW, therefore rendering the $500 option useless.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
the EU nations are a different story because of tesla being forced to use the CCS standards, converting their chargers there could just be a matter of adjusting software.
They already explicitly stated that in the US customers will have to buy an adapter.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
There wasn't any other "standard" adapter when Tesla launched their cars/supercharger network. I don't think CCS was even an approved connector at that point never mind used anywhere. It's not an evil plan to lock people out, there was nothing else capable of the high charge speeds required.
Maybe?

Seven car makers (Audi, BMW, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Porsche and Volkswagen) agreed to introduce CCS in mid-2012. The prototype implementations for up to 100 kW were shown at EVS26 in Los Angeles in May 2012

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Yes, on two occasions. Not a huge sample size, I'll admit.
I'll figure out in two weeks whether that experience + the multitude of comments on the forum are a fair indication or not.
Excellent, please report back! :)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I'll stick with EA. They work well for me now and with their 5-year expansion plan I'm confident in their abilities to handle my road trip charging needs - especially with 350kw units.
Sounds like a smart move. Also cheaper, right?

Plugs are also compatible in China. I guess it was one of the conditions to build the Shanghai factory, changing the plugs to the Chinese standard. Now I have an adapter for my MS90D.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
They already explicitly stated that in the US customers will have to buy an adapter.
you seem to take elon at his word. those of us who have owned tesla's cars or stock a long time know better than to trust any of his promises. even if tesla is able to accomplish the task of opening their chargers, it is a long ways off.
as others have noted that while having the option to use a tesla charger is great, expanding the places to charge that they will stick to the EA system.

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Completely agree with sticking with EA. They already have plenty of chargers along routes of any road trips I could see doing.

Once PorscheID connection began working 2 weeks ago, I'm now 8 for 8 with Plug and Charge. Can't get much easier.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
She adds additional information. I wouldn't worry too much about some of the concerns expressed. Bad behavior by Tesla will attract the attention of antitrust and politicians.

Sponsored