Use of Tesla superchargers

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Is not pedantic, when I bought my first Tesla in 2012, S85, included $2000 dollar for life use of superchargers, in fact we paid for it. At that time Chademo was 25-50 kw/h and Tesla knew the industry was playing games with compliance cars that no one want. Tesla back them has sold 12.000 cars and they already builded supercharger with 120Kw/h and everyone else was laughing. They started in the west and east regions, this is call vision like Apple. VW group an every other legacy automakers know that their nice cars will suck once they go for fast charging. Just imagine when we reach 1M cars EV non Tesla, how are we going to charge? The fact they are getting better isn’t enough, something has to be done and for me is all the rich automakers opening their wallets and build reliable superchargers plug and play.
maybe you are unaware that you were not the only person who bought an early tesla.
as for that 2k fee for charging, I never paid that, granted my first car was #33xxx.

today's EA network currently in place far exceeds the early supercharger network in both locations and speed of charge.

you seem to have some sort of hatred of big car makers that incites a high level of rage. if you are so infatuated with tesla and their way of doing things maybe you should never have strayed off their reservation.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
In the long run, if the adoption of EV's is the favored path, then eventually the standards will converge either due to customer demand or fiat. Other wise it would be like Exxon and Shell and BP using different nozzles. Selling the same fuel but you can't get it into your car without the right fuel inlet. And if someone wants to argue that communication protocols make it impossible, that's just a standard that can be changed or modified or made backwards compatible.

Until then Tesla will milk it for all its worth 'cause they have one that works.
that is why I call the tesla North America superchargers the betamax of ev charging. it may be a better system but nobody is adapting it.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The comparison with the VHS/Betamax format wars doesn't really work all that well. Sony had to rely on studios/content owners and also the retail chain to support their standard, and to do that it had to have enough market share not only for its own commercial viability, but every other participant in that chain. Tesla can do this on their own. It costs money of course, but nobody else is needed.

This is closer to usb-c vs. lightning connectors on phones (except, given how clunky those huge CCS connectors are, it's usb-A vs. lighting). As long as the most important accessories are available w/ lightning options, and/or there are adapters, Apple is in the clear. And then they can use the fully integrated model to deliver a better experience - vs being forced to the lowest common denominator on different aspects (for the charging network: having to support cars that max out at 100kw or even 75kw; supporting payment via screen/credit card).

I'm really looking forward to driving the Taycan, but nothing about not having access to the Tesla network is appealing. If we didn't already have a Tesla in the household for the longer road trips, I'd really be having second thoughts.

It's going to be interesting to watch this space. My bet is that premium car companies will all decide to have their own networks (likely in addition to EA in the US, or in addition to Ionity in EU).

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
It's going to be interesting to watch this space. My bet is that premium car companies will all decide to have their own networks (likely in addition to EA in the US, or in addition to Ionity in EU).
setting up separate networks is costly and pointless.
think of gas stations that would have separate nozzles for a ford, for a gm product, for a toyota and on and on.
the EA network and the smaller ones take the risks and costs out of the equation for new EV manufacturers and that is probably how the EV world will evolve. currently ford, VW audi porsche, volvo and I think hyundai are all going to EA and GM is going with EVGo.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
setting up separate networks is costly and pointless.
think of gas stations that would have separate nozzles for a ford, for a gm product, for a toyota and on and on.
the EA network and the smaller ones take the risks and costs out of the equation for new EV manufacturers and that is probably how the EV world will evolve. currently ford, VW audi porsche, volvo and I think hyundai are all going to EA and GM is going with EVGo.
That is perhaps different here in Europe. It seems Porsche, Audi, VW and BMW? are setting up their own network in addition to Ionity. Audi just released their vision for some charging stations exclusive for Audi,owners with facilities and coffee etc. Porsche roll out HPC at Porsche centres as well as Audi at Audi centres. But the fact remains that they are all using the standard CCS2 connectors. So in theory you could charge a Zoe at the Audi station, so it will remain to be seen how this will pan out. Maybe by pricing structures like Ionity to scare away the Zoe’s?

There is a lot of movement around new HPC networks now with Total, Shell, BP and many others, throwing their hat in the ring. Exciting times for people that want to take their EV on a longEuropean Tour!!

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Increasingly in the UK, the Tesla network is gradually being overtaken, certainly in terms of speed and gradually in numbers.

I travelled up to the West Coast of Scotland from the South Coast of England, a distance of 600 miles. I planned carefully, only selecting 100 kW+ charging units for my journey stops. Due to this, and the fact that my Taycan Turbo S has 40 miles more range than the Tesla Model S P100D I owned previously, I calculated that I saved an hour and a quarter in charging time.

Where I saved time is that most of the Tesla Superchargers are the old V2 on the major motorway routes and, due to their popularity, you end up sharing a pair. This means that charging to 90% can take up to an hour, due to th fact you kick off at 28 kW when sharing. In contrast, my stop at Ionity Gretna Green took 25 minutes to go from 17 - 92%.

in the UK I have never looked back having sold my Tesla. There is fantastic progress in the UK with fast multi bay sites being added all of the time. The only problem is making sure you find them, which means some planning in advance!

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tesla is the only manufacturer who makes cars compatible with its high speed chargers. Every other manufacturer either does CCS or Chademo and the latter seems to be declining in popularity. If the other manufacturers can produce competent and popular cars how do you think this turns out? CCS is just a standard and free for anyone to build while you would have to pay Tesla to use its standards.

Maybe Apple is a better computer but there are a lot more Microsoft/Intel ones out there because it mostly gets the job done.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
There is a lot of movement around new HPC networks now with Total, Shell, BP and many others, throwing their hat in the ring. Exciting times for people that want to take their EV on a longEuropean Tour!!
the difference between all those networks and the north american tesla network is that the HPC networks all use the same CCS protocol, not the proprietary one used by tesla in North america

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Correct, Tesla use CCS2 in Europe from Model 3 and Y. And V3 chargers are fast and extremely reliable. Much better than most CCS2 chargers

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I have had enough past conversations with people at a Tesla supercharger elaborating on Elon Musk's latest tweet, or his most recent bowel movement, to be super thankful to have moved to a CCS charger supported vehicle. Is Electrify America as reliable as Tesla, no. Are the bulk of Electrify America locations in "interesting" Walmart parking lots, they sure are. But, my days of being approached by some nut-job Tesla owner who thinks that St. Elon walks on water are way over, thank goodness.

Imagine the hysteria and vitriol that would come out of the pro-Tesla crowd if Elon Musk accepted a large container ship of money to open up the Tesla charging network to a non-Tesla vehicle?? I just laugh thinking about the bulging jugular vein on the Tesla super fan hearing that news if it ever happens!!!! That is what access to the Tesla network for a non-Tesla vehicle would cost - a container ship full of money.

Anyway, this thread has provided a breakfast worth of entertainment for me on a Sunday morning, so thank you everyone!!

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have had enough past conversations with people at a Tesla supercharger elaborating on Elon Musk's latest tweet, or his most recent bowel movement, to be super thankful to have moved to a CCS charger supported vehicle. Is Electrify America as reliable as Tesla, no. Are the bulk of Electrify America locations in "interesting" Walmart parking lots, they sure are. But, my days of being approached by some nut-job Tesla owner who thinks that St. Elon walks on water are way over, thank goodness.

Imagine the hysteria and vitriol that would come out of the pro-Tesla crowd if Elon Musk accepted a large container ship of money to open up the Tesla charging network to a non-Tesla vehicle?? I just laugh thinking about the bulging jugular vein on the Tesla super fan hearing that news if it ever happens!!!! That is what access to the Tesla network for a non-Tesla vehicle would cost - a container ship full of money.

Anyway, this thread has provided a breakfast worth of entertainment for me on a Sunday morning, so thank you everyone!!
I would take a Tesla-fan over a Walmart crazy any day of the week. The former is far less likely to actually be a real issue or threat to me, my family or my property.

With a Taycan on order, I really do hope there's some way for us to use Tesla's charging network, because EA truly does suck. Don't get me started "this is better than early days of Supercharger", I'm not interested in a reprise of 2013. All that matters to me is whether I can reliably travel in 2021. All I see is locations I'm not a big fan of, often only 4 or so stalls, and then often 1-2 out of order. If you add to that that the majority of non-Tesla EVs are 75-125 or maybe 150kw, this has the potential to really really suck when all those id.4s and mach-es start flooding in.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I, for one, would immediately fully commit if even a portion of the Tesla network became available. I don't want a Tesla but the network in the US is legitimately 5-10 years ahead of the 3rd party network.
Is it really? What charging speed would you get out?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Correct, Tesla use CCS2 in Europe from Model 3 and Y. And V3 chargers are fast and extremely reliable. Much better than most CCS2 chargers
Is this the usual fanboy talk or do you have data?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
With a Taycan on order, I really do hope there's some way for us to use Tesla's charging network, because EA truly does suck.
and your opinions are based on what facts? the same facts that someone who shops in a wal mart is a danger to you?
Sponsored