Used MY20 Taycan Turbo, new 4S, or e-tron GT?

Mandersoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model S LR (w/ the dumb yoke and everything)
Country flag
Hello!

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I'm currently in the process of having Tesla buy back my car (long story), and currently browsing the market for options. I've always had my eyes for the Taycan and, to a lesser extent, the e-tron GT.

Are there any quality concerns or specific things I'd be missing out on getting an MY20 Taycan vs a new one? My understanding is that they're ~95% the same, with even the MY20s have gotten updates to PCM 6 so they can get things like wireless Android Auto (very important to me), so the big thing just being the MY20 having fit/finish issues associated with the first run of the car? I think I read some things about charging speed and/or Plug & Charge, but I haven't been able to discern what's fact & fiction here, and talking to Porsche dealerships have been.... less than helpful.

Within the same price category, I've been looking at a couple used Turbos, a couple new MY23 4Ss, and the e-tron GT.
Assuming there aren't major downsides to an MY20...
  • Used MY20 Turbo seems like the most logical(? lol) choice, given the price to performance ratio + I won't end up forgoing the power from my current 2022 S LR.
  • e-tron GT would be next, getting a fully loaded Prestige and likely leasing that just knowing the market right now.
  • New 4S seems like the "worst" choice between the 3, just because ready-to-buy options around CA seem to be generally sparse and not with the options I want, and I don't really have months to wait to custom order one (especially with the whole heater thing recently).
So specifically: any thoughts/concerns I should be aware of on getting an MY20? And/or any other thoughts on choices between the 3?
Sponsored

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
I suspect the fit and finish on a first model year Porsche will be far superior to anything Tesla can produce after 12 years of trying.

It will be interesting to read opinions on new 4s v 3 year old Turbo. Right now I think I’d be in the used Turbo camp, assuming I found a spec close to what I wanted. I’ve never been as hung up on having a warranty as some are. You’ll still have plenty of warranty on the powertrain, at minimum.

If you order today, it seems unlikely you’ll get a 4s in less than six months, so that might be something to consider.

Welcome to participation on the forum.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If power output is an important consideration for you I would opt for a Turbo / Turbo S, in particular if you are used to the Model S.

I bought a 4S last summer and love pretty much every aspect of the car and find the performance sufficient, but now sometime catch myself wanting a bit quicker acceleration on the highway.

Have had no issues with MY20 including fitting/finish, and the PCM 6 update has worked perfectly. Plug & Charge would be handy but between the RFID card and the Porsche App it's definitely not a big deal.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
The Premium market with Taycans selling over list has gone.
My Low Spec Nov 2020 4S was £90k - I sold it Jan 2022 for £96k
It was for sale at a dealer for £106k (they didnt get that!)
Its trade value now is optimistically £65k and it would be on a Porsche forecourt for a little over £70k
I feel sorry for those who couldnt wait last year who bought fully loaded showroom cars
such as a GTS (105) with 25 extras for 20 over list - £150k
Those 2020 cars are currently worth £100k trade in max
That is a hell of a kick in the nuts!
Definitely time to take advantage of the price crash/normalisation
Unless you have huge tax benefits for getting a new car or you are OCD fussy about an exact spec you MUST go nearly new all day long
There is huge selection available and massive savings to be had
The only problem is you wont get much for your trade in, but that's the same if you buy new
Go for it

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
New 4S or used turbo: depends on how specific you are on colors and options, and how "badly" you want the performance. I have a GTS, in-between the two, and appreciated ordering it from factory with my spec. The performance is fine, although a turbo would add a bit of punch. (The turbo S only adds a bit again in launch mode.) Maybe your driving would also work well with a 4S. In today's market a lot is to be saved if buying used.

Taycan or e-tron GT: I had an RS e-tron GT before the GTS. The Taycan is better on the road, with much better steering feel, and still plenty comfortable. The e-tron GT seems more made for less engaged driving, and is maybe a tiny bit more comfortable. And I can turn off the fake sound in the Taycan, that's impossible in the e-tron GT - to me a very important factor.

Sedan or turismo: beware of the rather small boot (same in Taycan and e-tron GT), two standard size suitcases don't fit. But that may of course be unimportant to you.

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
Used turbo market is getting really soft, even on low mileage cars. You should be able to find a well equipped 2020-2021 turbo for less than MSRP on a 2023 4s pretty easily. Most under 10,000 miles are out there at around 25% off their original MSRP’s and many with CPO.

OP
OP
Mandersoon

Mandersoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model S LR (w/ the dumb yoke and everything)
Country flag
I guess the other question I forgot to ask: Are there any major differences in model years from MY20 to MY23 that would influence my decision? Is it just Plug & Charge? (it's a small thing but if I'm spending this much on a car I want to minimize the # of compromises lol) I'm coming from 5 years of Tesla so fit/finish is going to be automatically better if I went to literally anyone else, hahaha.

Performance-wise, GTS would honestly be fine but there aren't used GTSs in my price range whereas there are Turbos so that's where we're at. I'm basically looking at older car w/ more performance, or newer car w/ less performance.

And I can turn off the fake sound in the Taycan, that's impossible in the e-tron GT - to me a very important factor.

Sedan or turismo: beware of the rather small boot (same in Taycan and e-tron GT), two standard size suitcases don't fit. But that may of course be unimportant to you.
That's good to know, thank you! I loved the sound in the Taycan when I drove it (and the e-tron for that matter), but also knowing me I'd eventually want to turn it off. Same re: the boot, I knew it was small but didn't know it was that small. That's one thing I love about the S is the amount of space I have, but given my end goal is an EV 718 in a couple years, I'll just give up on the cargo dream. 😂

yankeedoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
The Premium market with Taycans selling over list has gone.
My Low Spec Nov 2020 4S was £90k - I sold it Jan 2022 for £96k
It was for sale at a dealer for £106k (they didnt get that!)
Its trade value now is optimistically £65k and it would be on a Porsche forecourt for a little over £70k
I feel sorry for those who couldnt wait last year who bought fully loaded showroom cars
such as a GTS (105) with 25 extras for 20 over list - £150k
Those 2020 cars are currently worth £100k trade in max
That is a hell of a kick in the nuts!
Definitely time to take advantage of the price crash/normalisation
Unless you have huge tax benefits for getting a new car or you are OCD fussy about an exact spec you MUST go nearly new all day long
There is huge selection available and massive savings to be had
The only problem is you wont get much for your trade in, but that's the same if you buy new
Go for it
I'm in this situation where my car is scheduled to be delivered in the next 4 weeks, but since its a new Taycan, there's 40% tax on top for being a new vehicle. If I don't take delivery, worst case is I lose my deposit and just shop for a used Taycan?
Sponsored