Using Apple Car play for non Apple music streaming (Qobuz) or playing from a USB stick

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Not sure it was you (?) but another thread here (I can't find it) started to criticise Burm vs other options and was at some point discussing PCM indexing from a usb stick.

While it appeared that even large storage sticks were supported if they had some specific file systems, I think that even below 1000 files, indexing was ok but not so fast and if one turned the car off, it would then restart from scratch and not from the track the user last listened to.

Also, while Burm is clearly better than Bose (I have Bose on Taycan and Burm on a Merc G and find Bose is ok for the purpose), it was not fully clear what the specs of DAC are and if they would be up to your demands.
Thanks, it wasn't me in that discussion.

I listen to music at home for hours every day.

I haven't been listening to much music in cars since the dynamic range of the sort of music I like is too great for a car environment, though I thought maybe an EV with added sound insulation may be OK. I certainly hoped so! I usually have the ICE system in my car off unless listening to the news :)
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes, I saw FLAC is supported but ALAC isn't on the list and all my files are ALAC, so unless the similar FLAC decoder works on my ALAC files that will be a no go.

I have currently got the Bose selected but I may stick with the standard system and save a grand!
I don't listen to classical music in the car usually but I though the Taycan may be quiet enough to not ruin the sound, but not being safely able to select what i want to listen to without stopping means maybe not, and I can save another grand by not bothering with the double glazing.

Decisions, decisions.
Man, you dinnae make it easy!

I'm quite certain you'll make all the correct choices!

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I got a free subscription to Apple music last year when I bought a new iPad but found it pretty well useless for finding anything I want to listen to the search is totally rubbish for non-pop genre music.

Anyway I have a Qobuz subscription, which isn't much better for searching really but has a wider choice of music I like and also a huge legacy iTunes library (now lumped into Apple music).
Have you tried other classical music streaming services such as Idagio and Primephonic? I subscribe to Idagio and it includes lossless streaming and concert videos with live events. Apple recently bought Primephonic, and will be adding it to Apple Music, but importantly with a classical music-specific user interface: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/08/apple-acquires-classical-music-streaming-service-primephonic/
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only advantage of USB drives for enjoying classical music in the Taycan might be audio quality, if you can tell the difference from lossless streaming impaired to some unknown degree by the connections from the phone to the PCM to the audio system.

OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Have you tried other classical music streaming services such as Idagio and Primephonic? I subscribe to Idagio and it includes lossless streaming and concert videos with live events. Apple recently bought Primephonic, and will be adding it to Apple Music, but importantly with a classical music-specific user interface: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/08/apple-acquires-classical-music-streaming-service-primephonic/
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only advantage of USB drives for enjoying classical music in the Taycan might be audio quality, if you can tell the difference from lossless streaming impaired to some unknown degree by the connections from the phone to the PCM to the audio system.
Thanks, yes I did see that Apple were due to incorporate Primephonic and I will give it a go once it has happened.

The big gain in streaming is the choice but I have to park somewhere to safely search all the ones I have tried or have a passenger do it, and even then if the car is moving a touch screen exhibits its fundamental talent which is "the unwanted selection" ;).

My USB stick has my own files on, mostly lossless ripped CDs, and easy to navigate and choose the piece to play.
Sponsored