akcpvzk

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Has anyone tried this for their Taycan (assuming you have the upgraded 19.2KWh onboard charger)? I have a Tesla Gen 2 charger in my garage for my Tesla. I got it off of Ebay for the longer hose (their new Gen 3 charger has a shorter hose and can only output 48amps which is all the later model Tesla's can handle). I can't find the particular video but a youtube channel by a guy named Tom Moloughney reviewed Tesla->J1772 adapters, and there is definitely an 80amp adapter available for Tesla -> J1772. Since we paid for the upgraded 19.2KWh onboard charger for L2 home charging, this seems like a viable solution. To try this, I need to rewire the Tesla charger with a 100amp circuit, so it's not something I can easily try. Before I call in an electrician I wanted to see if anyone else has had success with this.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I have 100 amp Gen2 Tesla chargers wired to my home (master & slave - shared 100 amp circuit)

they have charged my Model S w/Dual chargers at 80 amps (19.2 kw) - 100 amp breaker
they have charged my Model X @ 72 amps (90 amp load)
they have charged my Bolt @ 32 amps
they have charged my Taycan @ 48 amps
they have charged my friend’s eTron @ 48 amps (2021)

I do not personally have access to a 19.2 kW Taycan so I can’t test, but likely outcome is it will work - there is no reason to believe it will not achieve the 19.2 kW charging rate.

it is important to note Porsche’s internal battery software on the car “reports” the amount of power being added the battery, not the amount of power coming from the charger. so I would expect the car to show something like 18.23 kW or 17.97 kW on the main console while charging from a north American 100 amp charger.

there are lot of Tesla destination chargers all over the place, and many are 80/100 amp chargers - I’d suggest you look around on plug-share and see if anyone near by has a Tesla destination charger that shows 80/100 amps - and trot your taycan over there and see how it goes...

you’ll need the 80 amp JDapter/TeslaTap to avoid melting the adapter

good luck!

but unless the charger is faulty it will probably work at the full charge rate but until tested there is a chance it won’t.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP
OP

akcpvzk

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
for example - these Tesla chargers are 100 amp chargers near me in Santa Cruz

Seascape Beach Resort
1 Seascape Resort Dr. Aptos CA. 95003

https://www.plugshare.com/location/58737
https://maps.apple.com/?ll=36.950653,-121.876968&q=Unknown Location&_ext=EiQpAAAAAK95QkAxAAAAQCB4XsA5AAAAAK95QkBBAAAAQCB4XsA=

I’m not saying this locaiton does you any good, but rather showing you they are out there and you can test if you can find one.
Great idea! That's enough reason for me to get an 80amp adapter. By the way, I found the video. It wasn't on Youtube. He doesn't mention the 19.2KWh charger specifically but he does review the adapter and references the 80amp option. https://insideevs.com/news/466928/charging-non-tesla-on-tesla-charging-stations/

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Has anyone tried this for their Taycan (assuming you have the upgraded 19.2KWh onboard charger)? I have a Tesla Gen 2 charger in my garage for my Tesla. I got it off of Ebay for the longer hose (their new Gen 3 charger has a shorter hose and can only output 48amps which is all the later model Tesla's can handle). I can't find the particular video but a youtube channel by a guy named Tom Moloughney reviewed Tesla->J1772 adapters, and there is definitely an 80amp adapter available for Tesla -> J1772. Since we paid for the upgraded 19.2KWh onboard charger for L2 home charging, this seems like a viable solution. To try this, I need to rewire the Tesla charger with a 100amp circuit, so it's not something I can easily try. Before I call in an electrician I wanted to see if anyone else has had success with this.
I have the 80A TeslaTap and have connected my MY2020 Taycan to a friend's Gen 2 Tesla Wall Charger and charged at 11kW, which is the fastest my car is able to accept and faster than the best you can do with the PMCC. I have no reason to doubt that if your car can handle 19.2kW then that's what you'd see.

Last edited:

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
It should work. I will be able to confirm in April when my 19.2kW equipped Taycan arrives. I’ll be charging at home with a Tesla Gen2 HPWC @ 100A.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I bought a TeslaTap Mini 60AMP to use with my Tesla Gen 2 charger.

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=146

As for the Tom Moloughney You Tube video and the specific content, click below and go to 37:48. The entire video is worth watching though.

Sadly, haven't got my Taycan yet to test it out, but from what I've read it should work.

Last edited:

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have 19.2kw on my Taycan and have ordered the Teslatap mini 60A.
My neighbor has a Tesla charger at 60a which I can try next weekend (if I receive the Teslatap) and report the charge rate.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have 19.2kw on my Taycan and have ordered the Teslatap mini 60A.
My neighbor has a Tesla charger at 60a which I can try next weekend (if I receive the Teslatap) and report the charge rate.
Tesla charger with a 60 amp breaker? or Tesla charger with a 60 amp charge rate (so an 80 amp breaker?)

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Tesla charger with a 60 amp breaker? or Tesla charger with a 60 amp charge rate (so an 80 amp breaker?)
I think (will confirm next weekend) he has Tesla Charger with 80 amp breaker to get 60a charge rate.
PS: Anything else I should record for data ?

Update: Just talked with my neighbor, and he made me a liar :) he has Tesla charger with 60 amp breaker (not 80amp as I initially believed). Not sure if there will be any useful data if I use his charger

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if the Tesla charger is a 60 amp breaker - you should get a 48 amp charge rate - which will result in approximately a 10.4x kW charge rate in the vehicle

see photo below

Porsche Taycan Using Tesla Gen 2 Charger with 80amp adapter to get full 19.2KVh 4D82CD24-A31E-476E-B180-C49AA4203618

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think (will confirm next weekend) he has Tesla Charger with 80 amp breaker to get 60a charge rate.
does your Taycan have the 19.2 kW charger option, if not your maximum charge rate is 48 amps (about 10.4x kW).

if you do have the 19.2 kW charger you maximum charge rate is 80% of 80 amp breaker, which is 64 amps.

240 * 64 = 15.36 kW raw potential - given charging overhead I would expect the Taycan to report 14.2x kW (in that area) of charge rate for a 64 amp charge rate from an 80 amp breaker…

so you should see either a 10.4x kW charge rate _OR_ a 14.2x kW charge rate depending the charger and the Taycan.

Last edited:
OP
OP

akcpvzk

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
One of my main concerns is that, even with the 80amp TeslaTap adapter, my Tesla Gen 2 is currently on a 60amp circuit (so effective 48amps). Since (a) my Taycan has a 19.2KWh (e.g. 80amps) onboard charger and (b) The Tesla Gen 2 is capable of pushing out 80amps, then I'm wondering if it's possible that the Taycan will try to "suck" 80amps through and trip the circuit.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
One of my main concerns is that, even with the 80amp TeslaTap adapter, my Tesla Gen 2 is currently on a 60amp circuit (so effective 48amps). Since (a) my Taycan has a 19.2KWh (e.g. 80amps) onboard charger and (b) The Tesla Gen 2 is capable of pushing out 80amps, then I'm wondering if it's possible that the Taycan will try to "suck" 80amps through and trip the circuit.

[I edited my original entry as my oversimplification was factually misstated]

The EVSE will advertise the rate it can send. The car has no idea about the breaker you are connected to or what's upstream, it merely relies on what the EVSE tells it. If your EVSE is configured to be on a 60A circuit but is actually on a smaller breaker you could run into trouble. Be sure to configure the Tesla Gen 2 to manage the draw to your wiring and breaker.

For example, on the PMCC you can tell it precisely how much to draw up to a max of 40A. If you have the charger misconfigured and plugged in to a lower amperage circuit and plug in the vehicle will accept the max and that could overload the circuit. Ask me how I know :)

If you don't tell the Tesla charger the max Amps to draw (you can, see @daveo4EV 's posts below to learn how) I would certainly update the breaker before plugging my 19.2kW Taycan into it.
Sponsored

Last edited: