First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Model 3 Perf.
Country flag
Hi,

Has anyone heard when the over the air update will come to enable bi-directional charging?

I found this article
https://zecar.com/post/porsche-tests-bidirectional-charging-on-the-taycan
But has TBC in the date column.

With the energy crisis it would be great to use the Taycan to power the house on work from home days and charge it with cheap electric at night (less than 20% of the daytime rate and helps balance the grid). Next question will be what V2H charging device?
Thanks
Sponsored

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
That was NOT about discharging the Taycan battery into the home or grid. It was about coordinated charging of multiple Taycans to help stabilize the grid. Each car had a timer set with a target SoC and date/time, and the charging algorithm of all connected chargers and Taycans optimized the charging process of all to not consume power at the same time but in a way that was also beneficial to the grid network.

The Taycan OBC and the PMCC or PWCC can NOT discharge power back out of the EV. The hardware does not support this scenario.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi,

Has anyone heard when the over the air update will come to enable bi-directional charging?

I found this article
https://zecar.com/post/porsche-tests-bidirectional-charging-on-the-taycan
But has TBC in the date column.

With the energy crisis it would be great to use the Taycan to power the house on work from home days and charge it with cheap electric at night (less than 20% of the daytime rate and helps balance the grid). Next question will be what V2H charging device?
Thanks
My guess is 'never' (not for a long time). Porsche are just experimenting.

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
That was NOT about discharging the Taycan battery into the home or grid. It was about coordinated charging of multiple Taycans to help stabilize the grid. Each car had a timer set with a target SoC and date/time, and the charging algorithm of all connected chargers and Taycans optimized the charging process of all to not consume power at the same time but in a way that was also beneficial to the grid network.

The Taycan OBC and the PMCC or PWCC can NOT discharge power back out of the EV. The hardware does not support this scenario.
Is that 100% correct that the hardware support is missing from the Taycan?

I can understand that the PMCC/PWCC does not support reverse current, but are you sure that the Taycan charging circuitry hardware does not support V2G.

As I understood it, the CCS standard includes V2G and mandatory compliance is expected by 2025.
Also, charging circuitry manufacturers have stated that V2G support in CCS charging circuitry could be enabled by a software update.

Also, as I am informed an energy supplier (in the UK) is trialling V2G with Porsche. The trial is using a new version of the Indra Charging Device that supports V2G.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
Yes, I am 100% positiv that the hardware in the Taycan does not support bi-directional charging. Please note that V2G has multiple use cases, besides bi-directional charging the coordinated charging for grid stability is another use case of V2G. Sadly most times when V2G is mentioned, this is not made clear.

Please check the following press release text closely: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...-grid-vehicle-to-grid-applications-27528.html

On the note of bi-directional charging support requirements:
- The OBC software needs to support either ISO15118-20 (which is not final yet) or custom extensions via VAS (vendor added services) to ISO15118-2. Neither is implemented for this use case in the OBCs
- The electronics would also need to support it and they would need to decide wether to support this via DC (as VW is heading towards) or via AC. None is implemented.

This interview mentions the non existent bi-directional support: Vehicle to Grid (V2G): Porsche Taycan meets IE2S (Pufferspeicher) (German only)
The statement is in German: "Da bidirektionales Laden, ..., noch nicht technisch unterstützt wird im Taycan" which roughly translated to: "As bi-directional charging, ..., is not yet technically supported in the Taycan"

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes, I am 100% positiv that the hardware in the Taycan does not support bi-directional charging. Please note that V2G has multiple use cases, besides bi-directional charging the coordinated charging for grid stability is another use case of V2G. Sadly most times when V2G is mentioned, this is not made clear.

Please check the following press release text closely: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...-grid-vehicle-to-grid-applications-27528.html

On the note of bi-directional charging support requirements:
- The OBC software needs to support either ISO15118-20 (which is not final yet) or custom extensions via VAS (vendor added services) to ISO15118-2. Neither is implemented for this use case in the OBCs
- The electronics would also need to support it and they would need to decide wether to support this via DC (as VW is heading towards) or via AC. None is implemented.

This interview mentions the non existent bi-directional support: Vehicle to Grid (V2G): Porsche Taycan meets IE2S (Pufferspeicher) (German only)
The statement is in German: "Da bidirektionales Laden, ..., noch nicht technisch unterstützt wird im Taycan" which roughly translated to: "As bi-directional charging, ..., is not yet technically supported in the Taycan"
Thanks for the detailed response. 👍

I will try and check with the UK energy supplier as to what they are trialling with Porsche. May or may not find anything !

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Thanks for the detailed response. 👍

I will try and check with the UK energy supplier as to what they are trialling with Porsche. May or may not find anything !
what supplier was it?

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
It is Octopus Energy and they are (closed group) trialling such things with their Kaluza platform.
Today there was another announcement of their tie up with National Grid on a V2G setup.
Cheers. Thought it may have been Octopus.

OP
OP
Silverback

Silverback

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Model 3 Perf.
Country flag
Thanks all for the replies. I see this as something that will get some serious attention, as the number of electric cars increase and the associated pressure on the grid, the cost of buying a battery for electric storage is too high so this seems like part of the solution.
it looks like other manufacturers are enabling bi-directional charging with a software update. I have not read anything that suggests the Taycan is any different. The actual charger will do the conversion not the converter in the taycan that does ac to dc, so as long as bi directional is enabled a third party charger should work, I guess the issue is you may lose the warranty?
I am with Octopus so it will interesting to see what they can do.

Andrewedensco

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Cheers. Thought it may have been Octopus.
I think there was a bidding competition for government funding and OVO won it. Next month we find out if the OVO trial will be extended yet again. At least after 2 years the bi-directional charging Inverter became mine.

Pe4ivko

First Name
Andrii
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F30
Country flag
Hi, guys.
So I understand correctly it is still impossible to use car as "power bank" for home?
Does the car have standard socket to deliver power for small fridge for example?
I can't find this on web or putting wrong search requests.
Thank you

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Hi, guys.
So I understand correctly it is still impossible to use car as "power bank" for home?
Does the car have standard socket to deliver power for small fridge for example?
I can't find this on web or putting wrong search requests.
Thank you
there is no AC power support with Taycan - the most/best you could do would be to purchase a 12V AC inverter - although I'm not up to speed on what those do in the euro markets - in North America I had a small 1,500 watt inverter that provided household AC power via the 12V power outlet in all cars - I used this with my Chevy Bolt - which could be in park and left on - the 12V inverter would draw power from the Bolt's 12V battery - and the "big battery" in the Bolt would recharge the 12V battery - the Bolt had 60 kWh of power if it was full - so drawing 1,500 watts would allow you to run small appliances and charge devices for about 40+ hours…

I'm not recommending this, but it would be better than nothing in a pinch.

Pe4ivko

First Name
Andrii
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F30
Country flag
Thank you for answering.
I hope maybe facelift gonna bring AC plug or bidirectional charging possibly.
It is really important for me, considering buying new car, as at the place where is my house located there are often grid electricity outages, so having a car-"power bank" is the best/optimal option.
And of course I really love the taycan and was looking for buying one in the nearest time)

n3ophyte

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Nissan GT-R
Country flag
I’d be concerned what daily V2H use did to the service life of my Taycan HV battery! Or is it just a problem for the next owner 🤔
Sponsored