Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Has anyone heard/seen/read anything regarding future capabilities for V2L/G (Vehicle to Load/Grid).
Sponsored

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I can't even get personal solar panels to sell back to the grid where I live.....I think VTG is a long way off and think of it almost like block-chain, where you would need a large 'n' and this be integrated, but distributed for any effect to take place on the grid when demand cycles are needed.
The other thing that is challenging to me is what was originally a free market in the US and there were benefits to switching over to 'smart' thermostats and meters, are now being manipulated by governments already to throttle back electricity during the day/peak hours.
If this trend keeps up, unfortunately, this will cause too much skepticism with the consumers and no one will want to switch over to these integrated devices. Then, we have to look to 'government mandates', which will cause even more resistance.
I think it is a great idea, if it actually has a cost/benefit in the end and you can say; sell back during the day when you are WFH and don't need to make a trip somewhere and then recharge over the evening price/break hours. However, again this would have to be a on a large scale to have societal benefit.
I think we have rolled out clean electric power in the complete opposite way to get mass adoption. With mandates, subsidies, etc. it causes everyone to be in a religious camp of 'existential threat' or 'climate denier'.....of which, I don't think either is really true of those that have common sense. However, common sense is becoming an uncommon virtue and words and subscribing to a philosophy has taken over being objectively focused on data and true benefit of implemented changes.
Allowing competition and clean-tech to become cheeper and more efficient and reliable I think advances this and other new ideas much more rapidly. Unfortunately, it seems to me that the current trend is get governments to back an idea, and then force standardization. This will limit iterative growth and something like this may never get off the ground as it empowers the consumer vs. keeping control with the utility networks/going concerns.
Apologies, if this seems counterproductive to your OP, but I see a multi-variate system here that has to operate more like a true free-market before this comes to fruition and you can actually get a credit for selling back to the grid.

OP
OP
Gubbjaevel

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Wow. I don't even... eh.... wow.

Thank... you..(?) for your input.

Seems V2L is a long way off for you, indeed.

Remember now; the US is not the world. Far from it, in fact. Things are pretty different "out there".

mangobay

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST 2023. Cayman GT4 (981); BMW X5 40i
Country flag
I think the vehicle to grid concept is a great one in theory, especially when you look at the cost of adding a storage battery to a hone solar system, which currently doesn’t make a lot of economic sense everywhere. If you have a battery sat on the drive it could be excellent.

My biggest concern though is impact on warranty. We all know what Porsche are like but for all car manufacturers, they will not have built in regular cycling of batteries on home systems into their use case or warranty cover. I can’t see them being keen sponsors of it either.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I think it is a great idea, if it actually has a cost/benefit...
That's what I think. Interesting idea, but big cost and hardly any benefit. I think its dead and will never come.

Just do the math how much investment it requires to add this to all new EVs now and change all chargers now and smarten the infrastructure to make use of this - compare to a large battery farm hooked up to the grid.

Same with H2. Talked and researched for 30 year - Nothing, why? Small benefit, insane costs.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
I think the vehicle to grid concept is a great one in theory, especially when you look at the cost of adding a storage battery to a hone solar system, which currently doesn’t make a lot of economic sense everywhere. If you have a battery sat on the drive it could be excellent.

My biggest concern though is impact on warranty. We all know what Porsche are like but for all car manufacturers, they will not have built in regular cycling of batteries on home systems into their use case or warranty cover. I can’t see them being keen sponsors of it either.
https://www.thedrive.com/tech/40695...ntire-house-for-three-days-on-a-single-charge
Sponsored