Vancouver to Rockies Road Trip Experience (1,964km)

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
This post will be of interest primarily to Taycan owners in BC and Alberta (and other car geeks), mainly around car performance and charging. I just returned from a loop road trip from Vancouver to the Rockies (with wife, golf clubs and luggage in the car).
Day 1 - Vancouver to Shuswap…440km
Day 2- Shuswap to Jasper…464km
Day 3 - Jasper to Vancouver via Ice Fields Parkway and Hwy 1… 1,060km (662 mi)
Total - 1,964km (1,227mi)

The stats from Day 3 (1060km, 662mi) might be the most interesting for those considering a long trip.
  • Drove mostly in Range mode, with cruise control half the time
  • Combination of mountains and flat
  • Temps ranged from 10 - 35 C (50 - 95F)
  • Speed ranged from 80-130 km/h (avg was 86 km/h), or 50-80 Mph
  • Consumption over the whole day was 19.0/100Km or 5.26km/KwH (3.3 mi/KwH). At that rate, and driving reasonably, I could squeeze 425 km (265mi) out of the car starting at 100% SOC with room to spare.
  • Started the day at 100% charge, and stopped 3 times for total charging time of approximately an hour. The DC charging infrastructure was generally good on the whole route. Had a few problems with Petro-Canada chargers stopping after a few minutes.
  • The 350 Electrify Canada DC charger in Kamloops output 250 Kw at the beginning of the session, which is the highest I have seen from EC or Petro-Canada.
  • I deliberately planned to arrive home with 5% SOC to check performance. The Taycan calcs are conservative and you have more in the battery in the final hour than it is telling you, and it counts down more slowly in the final hour as a result (remaining range and SOC%)
  • The PIRM works well, and its calcs are accurate if a little on the conservative side (a good thing). EXCEPT, the charging station database used by the Taycan is not up to date for Canada so you probably want to look at EC, Petro-Canada and BC Hydro apps also. Amazing that it doesn’t know about all EC charging stations even though they are owned by the same company!
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
OT but lets see photos of the 56! Nomad?

Terra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many
Country flag
This post will be of interest primarily to Taycan owners in BC and Alberta (and other car geeks), mainly around car performance and charging. I just returned from a loop road trip from Vancouver to the Rockies (with wife, golf clubs and luggage in the car).
Day 1 - Vancouver to Shuswap…440km
Day 2- Shuswap to Jasper…464km
Day 3 - Jasper to Vancouver via Ice Fields Parkway and Hwy 1… 1,060km (662 mi)
Total - 1,964km (1,227mi)

The stats from Day 3 (1060km, 662mi) might be the most interesting for those considering a long trip.
  • Drove mostly in Range mode, with cruise control half the time
  • Combination of mountains and flat
  • Temps ranged from 10 - 35 C (50 - 95F)
  • Speed ranged from 80-130 km/h (avg was 86 km/h), or 50-80 Mph
  • Consumption over the whole day was 19.0/100Km or 5.26km/KwH (3.3 mi/KwH). At that rate, and driving reasonably, I could squeeze 425 km (265mi) out of the car starting at 100% SOC with room to spare.
  • Started the day at 100% charge, and stopped 3 times for total charging time of approximately an hour. The DC charging infrastructure was generally good on the whole route. Had a few problems with Petro-Canada chargers stopping after a few minutes.
  • The 350 Electrify Canada DC charger in Kamloops output 250 Kw at the beginning of the session, which is the highest I have seen from EC or Petro-Canada.
  • I deliberately planned to arrive home with 5% SOC to check performance. The Taycan calcs are conservative and you have more in the battery in the final hour than it is telling you, and it counts down more slowly in the final hour as a result (remaining range and SOC%)
  • The PIRM works well, and its calcs are accurate if a little on the conservative side (a good thing). EXCEPT, the charging station database used by the Taycan is not up to date for Canada so you probably want to look at EC, Petro-Canada and BC Hydro apps also. Amazing that it doesn’t know about all EC charging stations even though they are owned by the same company!
NIce.. I will be leaving just after the long weekend. Vancouver-Kamploos-Jasper-banff-lakelouise-calgary with a day trip to drumheller and then back. Haven't decided on the return route yet. Anything I should look out for range wise? Cheers ?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
56 is my favorite year tri-five. That is gorgeous my friend! I had a 63 Bel-Air a few years ago - 1 owner AZ car with 55K miles. Aqua/aqua with factory A/C.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
About the Chevy - You asked, here it is! Old school. Belair with a big block 454 and dual four barrels.
DE6ACF61-4FF8-44E7-B519-E2D22AA2855A.jpeg

Man, global warming has done a number on Vancouver since I was last there a couple of years ago!!!! I don't remember the native cactus growing that large!

Seriously a gorgeous car, and perfect for Arizona in January or February.

OP
OP
NormF

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
Man, global warming has done a number on Vancouver since I was last there a couple of years ago!!!! I don't remember the native cactus growing that large!

Seriously a gorgeous car, and perfect for Arizona in January or February.
The car resides in AZ! A big contrast driving the 56 compared to my Taycan.