Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
I couldn’t find another thread on this topic, but if there is one please point me to it…

I’m debating the air suspension option on my ordered RWD.

I’m not really concerned about R&H or clearance as much as the profile look of the car. I’ve looked at MANY pictures of Taycans to try and figure out some aftermarket wheel combinations, and vehicles have varied greatly in tire to fender gaps. Even when comparing Taycans with the same wheel and tire options. So this begs the question:

What is the vehicle / suspension height of the spring suspension relative to the nominal/low/high suspension height of the air suspension?

I would have thought that the spring would have equalled the nominal of the air, but based on many comparisons I’m not sure anymore….
Sponsored

T4YC4N

First Name
VB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, BMW 730, Mini
Country flag
I couldn’t find another thread on this topic, but if there is one please point me to it…

I’m not really concerned about R&H or clearance as much as the profile look of the car. I’ve looked at MANY pictures of Taycans to try and figure out some aftermarket wheel combinations, and vehicles have varied greatly in tire to fender gaps. Even when comparing Taycans with the same wheel and tire options. So this begs the question:

What is the vehicle / suspension height of the spring suspension relative to the nominal/low/high suspension height of the air suspension?

I would have thought that the spring would have equalled the nominal of the air, but based on many comparisons I’m not sure anymore….
I am glad you have asked this question as I have wondered the same thing. I have ordered my RWD with just the standard suspension and the 21“ Gloss Black Exclusive wheels. Look forward to seeing the replies....

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Fortunately, I think this is all easily found by looking at Porsche's technical specs for each trim, specifically height.

Base RWD 54.9"
4S (comes with air suspension) 54.3"
All other sedans and ST 54.4"
All CT 55.5""

Not sure why the 4S listed as 0.1" shorter, but it seems safe to say that the spring suspension has about 0.5" more ground clearance than the air suspension, which would put it at right about 5.5" total clearance

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Fortunately, I think this is all easily found by looking at Porsche's technical specs for each trim, specifically height.

Base RWD 54.9"
4S (comes with air suspension) 54.3"
All other sedans and ST 54.4"
All CT 55.5""

Not sure why the 4S listed as 0.1" shorter, but it seems safe to say that the spring suspension has about 0.5" more ground clearance than the air suspension, which would put it at right about 5.5" total clearance
Maybe because the 4S comes standard with 19” wheels?

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Maybe because the 4S comes standard with 19” wheels?
That probably explains it. The 19" wheels would be about 0.35" wider total radius than the 20" without any load, and the load likely compresses the tires on the 19" wheels significantly more.

OP
OP
Marcad80

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
These are some of the pics that have me wondering…. I’m comparing the lower fender line to the centerline of the wheel hub. Very different relative vertical positions.

The rose one is RWD with confirmed air suspension

The blue one is air suspension with CETE modification (from what I understand that would be the lowest air suspension position)

The white one I believe is a RWD spring based on other pics. But I can’t verify that for sure. Finding profile pics of RWDs with verified spring suspension has proved to be difficult.

If the difference is that big I will probably option the air suspension.
Anyone have a confirmed RWD spring profile pic?

Porsche Taycan Vehicle height: spring vs air suspension 28118577-DB23-42DB-AD40-2B0BB159C18E

Porsche Taycan Vehicle height: spring vs air suspension A0E042D0-4A62-495B-90F6-76A3DB7AE51C

Porsche Taycan Vehicle height: spring vs air suspension 326F5A18-AC5B-401E-B6FF-41C56C218D85

OP
OP
Marcad80

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
Btw nickmbp, great idea on how to find the difference of 1/2”.

And that’s a big visual difference if your talking a 1 1/2” fender gap vs a 1” one.

Question, can the vehicle be lowered while parked with the air suspension option? Or does this require the CETE kit.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Edit - Correction pasm is STD.

Don't forget that you will also not have PASM (adjustable shock absorbers) in addition to self -leveling ride height with STD springs.

Last edited:

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Don't forget that you will also not have PASM (adjustable shock absorbers) in addition to self -leveling ride height with STD springs.
I think this is incorrect. PASM is standard on all vehicles, including the ones without air suspension.
Without air suspension you still have the possibility to change the stiffness of the suspension. You can only not change the height.

Personally I did not order air suspension. I have it on my Tesla now and I find it rather useless. It is a typical example of a feature you play with the first week and than forget about, and never do the effort of using it again. It is always in standard height. I also did not notice any noticeable improvement of the range when lowering the car.
Also some reviewers noted that the air suspension gives an unpleasant disconnected feeling while cornering. Because the air suspension compensates for the weight pushing down on the wheel on the outside of the corner.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
Wouldn’t be without air, gets me out of scrapes pretty much everyday, kerbs, inclines, speed humps…..

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I think this is incorrect. PASM is standard on all vehicles, including the ones without air suspension.
Without air suspension you still have the possibility to change the stiffness of the suspension. You can only not change the height.

Personally I did not order air suspension. I have it on my Tesla now and I find it rather useless. It is a typical example of a feature you play with the first week and than forget about, and never do the effort of using it again. It is always in standard height. I also did not notice any noticeable improvement of the range when lowering the car.
Also some reviewers noted that the air suspension gives an unpleasant disconnected feeling while cornering. Because the air suspension compensates for the weight pushing down on the wheel on the outside of the corner.
Yes you are quite correct - PASM is standard with steel.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
These are some of the pics that have me wondering…. I’m comparing the lower fender line to the centerline of the wheel hub. Very different relative vertical positions.

The rose one is RWD with confirmed air suspension

The blue one is air suspension with CETE modification (from what I understand that would be the lowest air suspension position)

The white one I believe is a RWD spring based on other pics. But I can’t verify that for sure. Finding profile pics of RWDs with verified spring suspension has proved to be difficult.

If the difference is that big I will probably option the air suspension.
Anyone have a confirmed RWD spring profile pic?

28118577-DB23-42DB-AD40-2B0BB159C18E.png

A0E042D0-4A62-495B-90F6-76A3DB7AE51C.jpeg

326F5A18-AC5B-401E-B6FF-41C56C218D85.jpeg
Air suspension seems to be one of the high-priority options on an RWD anyway, along with the larger battery.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Btw nickmbp, great idea on how to find the difference of 1/2”.

And that’s a big visual difference if your talking a 1 1/2” fender gap vs a 1” one.

Question, can the vehicle be lowered while parked with the air suspension option? Or does this require the CETE kit.
If I remember correctly, you can put the air suspension in its lowest configuration when parked. Apparently, photographers do this when taking pictures of the Taycan.

OP
OP
Marcad80

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
I did just verify on a you tube video. You can move it to the lowest position at least while parked

I did also find a picture of a RWD verified without the air suspension. The alignment of the fender line and wheel centreline is clearly higher. And the wheel to fender gap is clearly larger. I plan on changing the stock rims out with aftermarket 21 or 22” rims. This gap would then be to big for my preferences. Looks like a $2300 option for me.

Porsche Taycan Vehicle height: spring vs air suspension A5881D96-602F-40C6-9668-34E136CF372B
Sponsored