Vehicle Key FOB Caps

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
When I ordered my Taycan I didn't order the painted key fobs. After I took delivery, I decided that a key fob to match the car might be nice. Most of the aftermarket options were disappointing. First issue was that most of the cheap covers on the internet were for the Porsche version 1 key fobs. The Taycan has a version 2 key fob. I was also looking for a Mamba Green cover/cap. The only one available was the Porsche OEM cover/cap. It was a bit pricey (US$119.95 + tax), but I bought it online through Suncoast Porsche. There were no installation instructions. To remove the black caps, remove the spare key from the fob. Then push outward from the space where the spare key was. The black trim caps will pop out. Install the new caps by pushing them in place. The quality is excellent, including the metallic flake on the new pieces. The parking valets (when we are able to go to restaurants and events again) will have no problem knowing which key belongs to my car.

Porsche Taycan Vehicle Key FOB Caps Taycan Key
Sponsored

glennkreisel

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Roadster, taycan turbo
Country flag
When I ordered my Taycan I didn't order the painted key fobs. After I took delivery, I decided that a key fob to match the car might be nice. Most of the aftermarket options were disappointing. First issue was that most of the cheap covers on the internet were for the Porsche version 1 key fobs. The Taycan has a version 2 key fob. I was also looking for a Mamba Green cover/cap. The only one available was the Porsche OEM cover/cap. It was a bit pricey (US$119.95 + tax), but I bought it online through Suncoast Porsche. There were no installation instructions. To remove the black caps, remove the spare key from the fob. Then push outward from the space where the spare key was. The black trim caps will pop out. Install the new caps by pushing them in place. The quality is excellent, including the metallic flake on the new pieces. The parking valets (when we are able to go to restaurants and events again) will have no problem knowing which key belongs to my car.

Taycan Key.jpg
Oh I like that! And my color too!
I’m ordering one. Thanks pal

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I got my painted too.. so nice!

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Can't beat the perfect color match. Awesome.

My experience with the aftermarket ones on Amazon or Ebay has been good. Obviously expect it to be hit or miss, bit even if it's a miss, for <$20 it's worth a try. I have two version 1 keys and one version 2 key covers from Amazon and they have all fit very well and have lasted years.

Guess it all depends on how closely you want to match the color.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nice!

Do you have any experience with how well the paint holds up since I will be putting in my pockets along with change, some knives, and other things that may scratch it up?

Is it very durable?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Nice!

Do you have any experience with how well the paint holds up since I will be putting in my pockets along with change, some knives, and other things that may scratch it up?

Is it very durable?
Knives?? Haha, out on a rampage?

• Haha
Reactions: Reg
OP
OP
wemct

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Nice!

Is it very durable?
I'm not sure on the durability since I installed the painted caps a few days ago. I carry the key in my pocket. So far no scratches. I had no other options (other than the OEM part) because there were no aftermarket options in Mamba Green. I have touch up paint in Mamba Green, so if it does get damaged, I can repair it.

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Nice!

Is it very durable?
There is a certain part of the key that is most susceptible to wear and tear. It's the top of the roof line along the two sides. As mentioned above, these are all Amazon specials. Key on left is 6 years old. Blue key is 4 years old. Carbon fibre (v2) is 8 months old.

If it actually bothered me, I'd just order a new set. I believe the v2 key will be more durable, especially the with the redesigned roof line of the car and how the two sides adjoin the centre. Hope that helps!

Here's the actual item for the v2 key:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F6F31ZX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Porsche Taycan Vehicle Key FOB Caps IMG_0431

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There is a certain part of the key that is most susceptible to wear and tear. It's the top of the roof line along the two sides. As mentioned above, these are all Amazon specials. Key on left is 6 years old. Blue key is 4 years old. Carbon fibre (v2) is 8 months old.
thanks. that was very useful. appreciate it.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
@Chowster do you use the key to start your vehicles? Or is the wear just from being in your pocket?

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
@Chowster do you use the key to start your vehicles? Or is the wear just from being in your pocket?
@dryii All my cars have Entry and Drive. So that is wear and tear from my pocket over the years and regular usage in and out of the drawer, etc. When it wears out after a few years, spend another $15, no big deal.
Sponsored