Vibration and rattle sounds from the interior . . .

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
The Taycan is a quiet car especially because it is an electric vehicle, at least with the Star Wars sound off, and even more so with the option of the extra insulated windows. That makes every off-sound like vibrations or rattling from loose plastic, metal, screws, or things stored in the car itself, rather noticeable and sometimes very annoying. According to my wife, I go almost mad trying to find where it comes from, and I usually don't give up before I succeed finding the "bastard" raising those extra decibel when I'm trying to enjoy my ride cruising around.

I've read on the forum that several complains about the area around the loudspeaker, and so have I unfortunately. In addition to this, I've discovered that one of the rattling reasons I thought came from one of the door sides, actually were from the front headrest when they are in pulled out position and become a little loose. I will of course make Porsche aware of these things, and they will sure solve the areas and tighten loose mountings. No doubt about it, and I'm fully confident with my Porsche Center Son in Norway which is more than eager fix whatever is the matter with my new Turbo S. I think I mentioned more than a few times how pleased I am with my purchase and their service. Enough commercial for now . . .

The difficult thing is somewhat to explain to the technicians where the sounds actually are coming from, so they can fix it. Without any good cause, it's almost impossible and the like searching for a needle in a haystack. So my job is to locate and explain in detail as good as I can, and even propose solutions or good ideas on how to solve the issues. In this matter a came over a video, I might thought other in this forum might would find interesting. So here´s the tip:

Sponsored

Last edited:

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Simple way to find resonating things is to use sine wave simulator software. Start with 20hz and gradually move up. Also try different volume.

OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Simple way to find resonating things is to use sine wave simulator software. Start with 20hz and gradually move up. Also try different volume.
Regarding resonance and vibration from music, that's a good tip I will definately try!

(When it comes to other reasons like loose panels or interior parts, it's often mor difficult as it is only noticeable in different driving conditions).

Last edited:

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Regarding resonance and vibration from music, that's a good tip I will definately try!

(When it comes to other reasons like loose panels or interior parts, it's often mor difficult as it is only noticeable in different driving conditions).
you will be pleasantly surprised that this method will help you find loose panels, because driving conditions are causing similar vibrations. Therefore, loud volume and sine wave generator will help to replicate the noises and dealer will have evidence on what is wrong.

OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Jancha: Thx for the input - I will give it shot :like:

OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have anybody else than me discovered vibration/rattling sounds from both the front headrest when driving (especially when they are pulled out)?

Reactions: MD1

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Have anybody else than me discovered vibration/rattling sounds from both the front headrest when driving (especially when they are pulled out)?
I do have a slight rattling sound coming from the passenger area when I hit a rough stretch of road. It could come either from the headrest or from the B-pillar. Hard to tell. I just informed my dealer who immediately offered a full service session this coming Tuesday (with loaner car etc.) to try and find the cause of the rattle and fix it. That will hopefully also give them an opportunity to download any software updates which may have come available since I collected my car mid-October.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had a rattle from passenger door panel which the dealer fixed using felt tape on the wire harness and the door light strip.
The plastics' and built quality of the interior is below my expectations for this price point. It is unfortunate that you have to add insulation or felt tape to eliminate rattles in a brand new luxury car.

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
I had a rattle from passenger door panel which the dealer fixed using felt tape on the wire harness and the door light strip.
The plastics' and built quality of the interior is below my expectations for this price point. It is unfortunate that you have to add insulation or felt tape to eliminate rattles in a brand new luxury car.
Couldn't agree more...
Had the same problem with the loose lighting strip in both doors. Felt tape did the job... until some other plastic sqeaking noise started to appear with cold weather and rough roads...

Pepperkake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Couldn't agree more...
Had the same problem with the loose lighting strip in both doors. Felt tape did the job... until some other plastic sqeaking noise started to appear with cold weather and rough roads...
Agree. I have rattling from the back-right door, and they tell me it is most probably due to loose wires and something with the adhesive/glue that has been used. Will be corrected together with the charge-port error, but both these issues are below expectations.

OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I´ve now located squeaking on both front doors and both headrest. It's all going to be fixed next week already, and I´ll get a loaner meanwhile.

As long as this is solved, I'm happy as one can be - cause I love the car, and look forward to drive it whenever I can!

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I´ve now located squeaking on both front doors and both headrest. It's all going to be fixed next week already, and I´ll get a loaner meanwhile.

As long as this is solved, I'm happy as one can be - cause I love the car, and look forward to drive it whenever I can!
Good luck. The rattles from my passenger door were fixed for only 2 weeks with felt tape around the recessed light led strip connector. But it came back. The rattle comes from inside the connector so you cannot add felt there. The best you can do is to minimize the connector's movement to reduce the rattle.
There are also rattles from other panels that happen intermittently.
Felt tape is no substitute for poor interior built quality. My car has only 500 miles and am worried that rattles will become a big issue over time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arno

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@chrisk: Thank you - Ill keep that in mind!

My Porsche Center Son in Norway usually don't give up until I'm satisfied, so I have good hopes this being solved. Against conjecture, If they don't succeed, I just turn up the music and keep driving ;)

Last edited:

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Jancha: Thx for the input - I will give it shot :like:
Tried on mine today. It is equipped with Burmester and 2+1 rear seat config. Conclusions:

1) driver door panel rattles as crazy with 60hz+ and sound 20+
2) rear shelf vibrates a lot on 30hz+ at 20+ level

resume: I am considering doing sound vibration insulation mod on front doors and something has to be done with the shelf as well. Not yet convinced about the rear doors but might redo those as well.

overall good sound system, but vibration insualtion is very poor.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
@chrisk: Thank you - Ill keep that in mind!

My Porsche Center Son in Norway usually don't give up until I'm satisfied, so I have good hopes this being solved. Against conjecture, If they don't succeed, I just turn up the music and keep driving ;)
How'd it go? I have an appointment with the service center here in Bergen on the 27th to fix a broken park assist and misaligned spoiler. Will be informing them of the rattles at high-ish volumes and showing them the vid you posted. It's very annoying.

Try blasting FISHER - Stop It. :swear:
EDIT: Lyrics are funnily enough just about what I experience from the doors. Hah.
Sponsored