DeciusCaeciliusMetellus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Country flag
They are doing the highway run in Sports Plus mode. I thought this is a "Track Mode". Is this really useful for just going fast on a highway, e.g. no hard turns or so?

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I was just about to post this video and saw you beat me to it.

What’s amazing to me is how quickly he passes the cars he has to wait to pull over. Looks like they are doing 90mph. That’s some serious highway passing power.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hey, that dude got a 10km/h higher average speed than I got in the night - darn :)!!!

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Car performance - impressive. Driving maturity less so.. im afraid this is exactly the kind of driving and SoMe activity that will make german politicians inflict the 130 kmh speed limit at all autobahns. Two lane autobahn is not suitable for these speeds when there is as much traffic (trucks) as seen here.

btw looks like the power usage was about 75 kwh/100 kmh - just shows that ICE cars have the egde on fast travelling as it is now.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Nice vid! Nothing immature in this video in my opinion. On the contrary, there was not a lot of traffic, so he was able to drive fast relatively safely. I've seen quite a few autobahn videos and he was able to drive at max speed 90% of the time which is not that often possible. Left lane was almost empty and the right land had pretty much only trucks, which are less likely to just pop in front of you to pass.

Based on my own limited experience in the autobahn the dangerous situations happen when there are regular cars just suddenly popping from the right to make a slow pass of a truck without understanding how fast the car coming from the left is going. That can be very dangerous and is done with less care in Germany in my opinion than in Finland where it isn't as dangerous to begin with due to much slower speeds and lower speed differences. But there was overall minimal risk of that happening in this run.

Of course driving at 260km/h can't exactly be considered safe in any situation. Any type of issue and it's potentially a fatal crash. But this run specifically being immature? No. That was almost as solid as it gets driving fast on the autobahn. Traffic was low, weather and visibility was fine, driver was solid. Simply driving that fast brings inherent risks but nothing especially reckless about this run.

Not arguing it wouldn't be safer with similar traffic in a 3-lane autobahn, no question about that. But still nothing especially reckless about this.

Last edited:

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
I agree with @JacobDK, because this is about risk taking. Risk is probability times consequences. @Singularity, you may say there is low traffic and the probability for someone popping from the right is low. However, the consequences are severe if it happens. Generally, you become more averse to risk with age. So, immature is probably the right word for this behavior;)

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree with @JacobDK, because this is about risk taking. Risk is probability times consequences. @Singularity, you may say there is low traffic and the probability for someone popping from the right is low. However, the consequences are severe if it happens. Generally, you become more averse to risk with age. So, immature is probably the right word for this behavior;)
agree. Remember some of truck drivers are underpaid from the less fortunate / rich EU countries, not obeing the regulations regarding rest/sleep due to the shipping companies are under a lot of pressure on price and delivery speed. OK there you have a tired trucker and he want to overtake (which they often do on the Autobahn regardless of their speed difference only being very little) and the speed the Porsche goes with here makes their speed difference about 40-50 m/s. A good bet is that the trucker through bends etc may have about 2-300 meters of rear visibilty which equals around 6-8 seconds of time to see a fast car approaching. In that time he needs to asses your position twice to make out the speed you are travelling and decide to make the pass or not. And sometimes no matter the speed you are going they take that decision. Now in the porsche you have to brake (you cannot change lanes/emergency lane because they are bumber to bumber) and from 261 kmh to 100 kmh, you also have to react and apply brake pressure. My bet is you need 300-400 meters to do that in a Taycan. The physics are not your friend in that situation and my best bet is an accident can not be avoided. I have actually done quite a lot of high speed driving on the Autobahn. Always lower my speeds passing trucks on 2 lane Autobahns. Keep it safe, it’s only a good experience if we all get safely to our destinations :)

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
It is never without risk to travel at such high speeds, but I wonder if that A30 going to/ from Osnabrück has a ban on on lorries overtaking during day time. I have driven that stretch several times and I can not remember for certain. There is of course a risk that the lorry driver will fall asleep or just loose attention for a short time.

But I tend to agree with Singularity that this does not look so dangerous. I would also be more worried about the normal cars that suddenly pull out from the right and in particular drivers from countries that have very little motorways in their road network. These drivers just lack experience to drive on fast motorways.

These speed trials are best performed on old runways or on the track, I agree, but these speeds are not that uncommon on the road as shown in the video.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
I have to say, I agree with the criticism, after thinking it over. 269km/h on a two-lane Autobahn with some traffic is challenging... especially as there are alternatives. We have the Garmischer Autobahn here, which is famous to be very empty early in the morning, and various stretches of 3-lane Autobahns. If you are on the left lane there, with the only traffic on the right lane, i.e. with a whole middle lane as "buffer", it feels a lot safer.

Just my opinion...

Cheers,
Henrik

FrankN

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Macan GTS
Country flag
Impressive.... and the autobahn is the perfect place for the Taycan to stretch its legs! As for danger/risk I would say if everyone on the road was German there's little risk since they all know and follow the decorum - staying out of the left passing lane except to actually pass). But all it takes for a disaster is someone unfamiliar with the Autobahn to pull into the passing lane with the Taycan going 200 kmh. :eek:
Sponsored