Volkswagen Pivots To MEB+ Platform — 700 Km Range, 200 KW Charging - Article link

maxkkk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY21
Country flag
Meh. This is in ideal lab conditions. If 25khw/100km, then the battery must be 175 kw… or if the battery is 100kwh, then the consumption must be 14kwh/100km. Unrealistic unless they are able to dramatically reduce weight

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I think the next big thing with batteries is degradation performance; battery charging speed (at least on Taycan, Hyundai/KIA) is fine. What's not so fine is the ±8-10% degradation in 50k Kms.

Batteries should be more resilient than that.

Rik_CT4s

First Name
Rik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo MY22
Country flag
I think the next big thing with batteries is degradation performance; battery charging speed (at least on Taycan, Hyundai/KIA) is fine. What's not so fine is the ±8-10% degradation in 50k Kms.

But the good news is that battery cells can be replaced as opposed to changing the whole battery pack.

Replacable poor performing cells is a big plus in my opinion.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
But the good news is that battery cells can be replaced as opposed to changing the whole battery pack.

Replacable poor performing cells is a big plus in my opinion.
that makes sense if the battery cell degradation is not uniform; i.e. your degradation is 8%, but some specific cells have 30% degradation. Even then that would imply needing to replace 8%/30% = 27% of your battery cells... that's still a likely $10k bill once Porsche mechanics have had a go

Rik_CT4s

First Name
Rik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo MY22
Country flag
that makes sense if the battery cell degradation is not uniform; i.e. your degradation is 8%, but some specific cells have 30% degradation. Even then that would imply needing to replace 8%/30% = 27% of your battery cells... that's still a likely $10k bill once Porsche mechanics have had a go
I think it can be rebalanced also but yeah it remains a black hole for most of us until it really happens while having access to this data at the same time.
It would make sense to (by then) assess which cells are poor performers and decide based on the outcomes what to do (i.e. replace cells with below 85% capacity or so)...it would be rather costly I reckon...
Recent tests show 100k km some 6% degradation on the taycan so I would not worry too much.

Have driven just 2k km in my 4s cross and really do like the driving experience. Bit more power would be nice (but a lot costlier), but that's because I have a 700hp stage 3 RS5 on standby :)

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag

Everything I read seems to indicate those 8-10% is all of the degradation, as batteries settle into a plateau for the rest of their expected lifetime.

Not to be a contrarian, but I would gladly trade gains in weight (erm, that'd be losses, rather) over improvements in any other aspect of batteries. Cost and sustainability would be other important aspects.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Interesting article, thanks for sharing. It seems to attribute the direction of the group to the CEO, casting some aspersions on the recently departed Diess. At the same time, there's a bit of praise for BMW (which is where Diess came from). It's not the first time a BMW guy came in to take VW upmarket, though Pischetsrieder did it better (arguably).

Back on track, things must be dire if VAG is sticking with a 400V architecture - that would pretty much relegate them to the "mass transportation for urban dwellers" segment. Wait..

Fall7St8nd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting article, thanks for sharing. It seems to attribute the direction of the group to the CEO, casting some aspersions on the recently departed Diess. At the same time, there's a bit of praise for BMW (which is where Diess came from). It's not the first time a BMW guy came in to take VW upmarket, though Pischetsrieder did it better (arguably).

Back on track, things must be dire if VAG is sticking with a 400V architecture - that would pretty much relegate them to the "mass transportation for urban dwellers" segment. Wait..
Felt the same about the reference to staying with the 400V architecture… and their continued focus on range more than performance. Interesting approach.
Sponsored