Paulo

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1898 Porsche P1
Country flag
and, even about a year ago, with the 992 there was a hell of a lot more information comparing to the taycan

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
It’s funny you make a post throwing the entirety of its users into the camp of complaints, then proceed to complain yourself.

Ludicrous.

Most, if not all of us, are well vested into this car.
The critiques we use is not to be confused as “complaining”.
This is an object of desire sold on part truths and not much else.
Every single one of us has put a deposit down based on the mission E, as that is the time Porsche themselves opened up the pre orders.

The car was over promised.
Between the cayenne and the panamera was supposed to be the pricing, 600hp and 500km range, 350kwh charging - we now know is no longer true. This is reserved for what will be a ridiculous priced “turbo”

On top of all that, the price ( between cayenne and panamera) is now only for the base model which makes less horsepower than a model 3 at twice the price, the charging is significantly slower than stated and they have not shown or hinted at the final design, leaving us only to speculate the mules are what we will get.

If I am wrong, I will simply just buy the Taycan that I already have money towards. If not, myself and others will simply buy a new toy or daily.
There is plenty to be had for $120k+
I agree completely. Porsche has been “flexible “ with their claims. I understand business and remain a loyal Porsche enthusiast, but I’m still disappointed by the process I.e. pricing, styling, performance

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
I agree completely. Porsche has been “flexible “ with their claims. I understand business and remain a loyal Porsche enthusiast, but I’m still disappointed by the process I.e. pricing, styling, performance
Being a Porsche and a premium car, I don't so much mind the first. I mean, a 918 costs £672,000. Maybe a mistake Porsche made was to pit the Taycan against the Tesla Model S and constrain it, whereas what they should have done was launch the Mission E (suicide doors and all), rename it, and market it as a standalone electric supercar-sedan. An aspirational, unchained, incredibly premium, super-fast electric four-door coupe with an interior based off a Pagani or a Bugatti (perhaps) - a truly aspirational car which would help Porsche make further, more affordable electric vehicles. With a price in the hundreds of thousands of pounds, but looking identical to a Mission E.

The deficiencies in the last two though, in my mind, are unforgivable. With the styling we must remember that the mules we see still have a lot of camo and fake panels on them, and the front does look athletic and sporty, and once all fake panels are removed and the final product revealed on September 4th, I am confident the rear will be good looking as well. But the performance deficit is unforgivable - this is a Porsche, for heaven's sake! They should have focused on styling and performance first, to hell with just about everything else! Though at least the performance is something a tuning company can fix.

MPawelek

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1919 Ford Model T, 1931 Ford Model A, 1957 Nash Metropolitan, 2017 Mercedes SL, 2018 Ford F250
Country flag
I am familiar with tuning a carbon burner but how does one tune something with electric motors? More software manipulation?

Taycan-Deroga

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Country flag
I am familiar with tuning a carbon burner but how does one tune something with electric motors? More software manipulation?
Yeah, I'm a little confused about that as well. But since I have never owned an electric car and never seriously considered it until Porsche unveiled the Mission E, do you get what you get or can it be upgraded by a software update?

MPawelek

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1919 Ford Model T, 1931 Ford Model A, 1957 Nash Metropolitan, 2017 Mercedes SL, 2018 Ford F250
Country flag
I assume software upgrades are the trick. Did not Tesla add battery mileage to the Model S at one time with software manipulation?

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Being a Porsche and a premium car, I don't so much mind the first. I mean, a 918 costs £672,000. Maybe a mistake Porsche made was to pit the Taycan against the Tesla Model S and constrain it, whereas what they should have done was launch the Mission E (suicide doors and all), rename it, and market it as a standalone electric supercar-sedan. An aspirational, unchained, incredibly premium, super-fast electric four-door coupe with an interior based off a Pagani or a Bugatti (perhaps) - a truly aspirational car which would help Porsche make further, more affordable electric vehicles. With a price in the hundreds of thousands of pounds, but looking identical to a Mission E.

The deficiencies in the last two though, in my mind, are unforgivable. With the styling we must remember that the mules we see still have a lot of camo and fake panels on them, and the front does look athletic and sporty, and once all fake panels are removed and the final product revealed on September 4th, I am confident the rear will be good looking as well. But the performance deficit is unforgivable - this is a Porsche, for heaven's sake! They should have focused on styling and performance first, to hell with just about everything else! Though at least the performance is something a tuning company can fix.
I don't think anyone has driven the production car (outside of Porsche) so I think the performance comments are speculation. By "performance deficit", are you strictly referring to 0 to 60 MPH times? I think you can still find cars cheaper than a 911 with better 0 to 60 times, but how many of them are more satisfying to drive as a sports car?

As for the direction Porsche may be going with respect to EVs, I think the main issue you hear indirectly against the car is that it's heavy due to the batteries (I think even Mark Webber was quoted as saying how well the Taycan mule handles given it's weight). My gut feel is that while the Taycan is Porsche's first effort in EVs, they are hard at work at finding lower-weight batteries (maybe solid state). Although I could be wrong, I would be very surprised if Porsche made a super car with the current technology Li-ion batteries.

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
I don't think anyone has driven the production car (outside of Porsche) so I think the performance comments are speculation. By "performance deficit", are you strictly referring to 0 to 60 MPH times? I think you can still find cars cheaper than a 911 with better 0 to 60 times, but how many of them are more satisfying to drive as a sports car?

As for the direction Porsche may be going with respect to EVs, I think the main issue you hear indirectly against the car is that it's heavy due to the batteries (I think even Mark Webber was quoted as saying how well the Taycan mule handles given it's weight). My gut feel is that while the Taycan is Porsche's first effort in EVs, they are hard at work at finding lower-weight batteries (maybe solid state). Although I could be wrong, I would be very surprised if Porsche made a super car with the current technology Li-ion batteries.
Another user mentioned a performance deficit, and as you say, nobody outside Porsche have driven the car yet, so they are speculation at the moment. I've read reports about the base Taycan having 322 bhp, which even for a base model, I don't think is enough for a Porsche, though at least the Turbo and Turbo S will have good power figures, and maybe those reports concerned me slightly. I hope that the 0-60 time is still good for the Taycan, and you're very right, 0-60 times aren't always indicative of driving feel and performance, I'm just hoping and trusting in Porsche very much to do the right thing. And it's absolutely right that they focus on lower-weight batteries, I admired so much Porsche's foot garages solution, although I think they should use that opportunity to make the roofline more rakish. I just really want Porsche to get this right, and one of the good things I suppose is the ambiguity surrounding the looks and the performance, but I really am just hoping for something very good.

OP
OP

PP4EH

First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera E hybrid
Country flag
But they keep promoting the Taycan using the Mission E images. Which is why people expect the Mission E, why the Taycan already has so many orders.

It's understandable that it may not 100% resemble the Mission E, but when you keep using Mission E images, there's a certain expectation that the Taycan will look so like the Mission E that people shouldn't be able to easily tell the difference.

Besides, I mentioned in an earlier post it would be flouting the German Act Against Unfair Competition (as Misleading advertising is prohibited) and the mules still have a lot of fake panels, so I think Porsche has a pleasant surprise in store for us.
How are they supposed to Promote the car according to you?, when there is no car to show before september, they have teased it.. using the real car.
Every time the letters and the word taycan is used they show the real car ( barely).
The concept is what it is based on its their full right to show that as a concept, no where can you find one official word from porsche saying how much of the concept will be in the real car.
So is it Porsches fault that some of you wish for things that you were not promised and then get sad?

And dont forget Agent Rex Dasher with the Mission E on Playmobil Movie!
Wtf does that have to do with things? Plenty of car makers put their concept cars in movies, real movies not even animat

and, even about a year ago, with the 992 there was a hell of a lot more information comparing to the taycan
And again, it is their own choice on how much and when to reveal, the Taycan is a brand new model with new tech, you have competition to worry about, the 911 has been around for ages, no one is gonna copy anything from that since its so iconic.

Ahh so they should have made a car that around 1000 people would afford and buy? How great, how long do you think this thread will be then of people that cry?

Amazing that you seem to believe whats the route for porsche to go, when they are the most profitable car brand in the world.

Might want to step down from that high horse sir?

Eisbärenhöhle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
... clearly too many of them
Country flag
... I don't think is enough for a Porsche, though at least the Turbo and Turbo S will have good power figures, and maybe those reports concerned me slightly. I hope that the 0-60 time is still good for the Taycan ...
I own a BMW i3s ... 0-62 time is 6,9 s ... in numbers nobody is amused ... but in reality the i3s feels much much (!) faster than 6,9s ... so I would guess even a base Taycan with 4 s is a beast .... even my i8 hybrid (with 4,4s) feels not much more responsive than the i3s .... (I'm talking about the feeling )

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Who at porsche AG promised you a Mission E?
Well...almost 4 years ago Borkkert, Korner, and even Mauer seemed proud of all the work they'd put into every detail of the E......making it...."the new icon for Porsche"......and one that...."will carry us into a new era".

Anyway.....pretty obvious (to me at least) that they were announcing to the world that they'd conceived more than just an electric car on that design floor. Of course I could be wrong.....can't look into their soul's, can only watch & listen to their words.
Much for the company & the 'E' changed in the fall of 2017.....Herr Blume announced the design was 'fixed'. We heard no more from the design team and the mule body hit the roads.

All that said....the car will do fine. It will be a success, and it certainly will be head-n-shoulders above most of what's available in the near term.
I am sympathetic to those who had expected something different, something exceptional.....I get it.
As I've said before, I'll take my #1 slot. Ours will be relegated to dog-hauler status for the wife... at least for a year.
The E would have been different but it's not the end of the world :) .

Parting thought....does it grind anyone else's gears when people tell you...."It's just a car". :facepalm:

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
This just happened to my car. While it was parked. While I was eating at my favorite taco joint with friends and family for my dinner.

Of course the person fled the scene...

I've been hearing..."could've been worse" "it's just a car" for the past week now.

Porsche Taycan Wailing Wall of Taycan Forum 48468285272_8c4e835f21_h

MPawelek

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Those black tire smudges that high up on your car might be from a commercial type truck.....

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Those black tire smudges that high up on your car might be from a commercial type truck.....
Witnesses said an early 2000's model Explorer/Mountaineer. They got a plate number, but the detective that has the case said the one lead he had didn't match up. He's running variations on the plate, but my guess is that it was a stolen plate.
Sponsored