Wait times for Taycan Service Apt....what are you hearing?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I was able to schedule one as soon as the next day. I wanted my dealer to pick up the car, since I don’t need a loaner, so I had to wait a week.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
This is indeed a good question. I suspect they're jittery with OTA updates and drivetrain electronics. If something goes poorly they risk bricking the car and would then have to have it towed to the dealership to be fixed.

There are many ways around this problem of course, but I doubt we'll know more unless Porsche decides to talk about it.
what tesla usually does is send a small amount of updates to subsets of like cars, they look for bugs and if all goes well they will send out another blast to a different subset. it could take them a few weeks to update every car. on the telsa forums you'd always have people wanting to know why their updates are delayed, they don't grasp tesla's methods.
porsche has a lot that can be learned from tesla

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
yes, some dealerships have higher status than others
That’s interesting. I assumed a brand like Porsche would have the same bar set for all their dealerships.

How do you know if a dealership has “Premier” status?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
That’s interesting. I assumed a brand like Porsche would have the same bar set for all their dealerships.

How do you know if a dealership has “Premier” status?
dealerships will use it in their promos like this

The Porsche Premier Dealer Program here at your Porsche dealer Orlando, identifies the top 25 Porsche Dealers in the United States. It recognizes and rewards those Porsche Dealerships that best embrace the 'Porsche Business Model' - achieving the highest performance among their peers in Brand utilization, product representation and the development of key 'Porsche business drivers'; and in doing so, succeed as independent entrepreneurs who routinely exceed the expectations of their Porsche customers near Central Florida at our Florida Porsche Dealership.
PhilosophyPorsche is a prestigious, authentic brand with a unique heritage and a fervent core of enthusiasts. Porsche owners near Orlando, FL are passionate about their automobiles in a way no other automotive marque can match. Those who purchase a new or pre-owned Porsche car are buying more than a car-they are buying a legend. Porsche enthusiasts are driven, successful people who demand the very best. Owning a Porsche is a reflection of their values. Driving a Porsche-- like the new Porsche Cayenne-- connects with the very essence of their psyche. This deep-rooted link between car and driver must also be forged between the company and the customer in order to create an ownership experience that is every bit as satisfying as the Porsche driving experience itself.
Since earning Porsche Premier Dealer status requires a total team effort within a dealership, please join us in congratulating the entire Porsche team at Porsche Jacksonville here in Jacksonville, FL- a Porsche Premier Dealer.
Have any questions regarding your next luxury vehicle? Contact our Jacksonville Porsche dealer at (866) 834-5455 and a member of our sales staff will be happy to assist you. We look forward to serving you soon!

here's an older list
https://stuttgartdna.com/2019-premier-porsche-dealers-list-announced/

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
My recent service appointment (picked up the car today) was for the AMB5 update and checking out the LCA feature which got disabled when the mirrors were removed during my PPF installation.

I had to wait 27 days for the appointment, but the reason for that was my desire for a loaner car. If I hadn't wanted the loaner, they could have gotten me in within the week.

Having to wait until December is obviously completely unacceptable. I'm glad they were able to get the OP in sooner but being able to service just one Taycan a week is pretty ridiculous. Sounds like the dealership needs to get it's technician's training up to speed.

mokre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
what tesla usually does is send a small amount of updates to subsets of like cars, they look for bugs and if all goes well they will send out another blast to a different subset. it could take them a few weeks to update every car. on the telsa forums you'd always have people wanting to know why their updates are delayed, they don't grasp tesla's methods.
porsche has a lot that can be learned from tesla
Yeah flighting like this is a good way to gain confidence in the updates. Let's hope Porsche finds their confidence and competence in software updates so we don't ask have to visit dealerships in the future.

OP
OP
TycanNewHampshire

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
@schad I will be interested to see what wait time you have when you call in for the software update...mine was December. I also have the seat vent/fan stop working on the drivers side, which is why I called for a service appointment. They were able to get me in late in this month and said they would take care of both.

However, it was still troubling with the 'we only have a slot for 1 Taycan a week', comment.

@DerekS sorry if I sounded snappy, I just understood where you were coming from from the first post; it is unacceptable and you would make that known and go to another dealer. I get it, I just don't have the time to drive 2-hours round trip and deal with a dealer that I did not purchase the car from.
As far as 'training', what I am trying to figure out is if they only have one-Taycan slot per week because they have only trained one technician and if this is a dealer problem (they had the opportunity to train more, but chose not to for their P&L or other reasons), or if this is a Porsche thing and they limited training to a limited number in the beginning to ensure that it is not feast or famine and ensure that all dealers have at least one tech certified.

All of the posts are really helpful in getting a barometer of what type of support Porsche is giving the Taycan. Is it possible for future posts to put in a month data of when you called for your service apt? In the beginning, they could schedule just fine. I feel that now they have the largest selling model on the road, they still only trained the techs for a small adoption rate and then add in the update that everyone needs to get, we may just be in a perfect storm?

Derek, I agree it is unacceptable, however I just don't think my complaint alone will change anything, however if this is systemic and there is a challenge across the board, perhaps multiple complaints will trickle-up and they will ensure that more techs are trained and it benefits more as a community and help address many saying 'it is new and we still don't have an expert trained on this, we will have to check with Germany and get back to you', on this and future problems.

Hope this is more helpful with clarification and again, apologies if you thought I was snapping at you as that was not my mindset when responding. I did ask for thoughts....fair enough.

wishing you all the best,

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
My wait time to schedule the recall update was three days. It was completed in less than two hours.
I originally had a 6 week wait (wanted loaner)..then the car had the problem (total loss of power) and they took it the same day! We will have to see how long it takes but I prefer not to drive it until AMB5 is applied (duh!).

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Funny enough, my local dealer (Porsche Marin) is a “premier dealer” but I had a better experience at Porsche in Santa Clara ?‍♂
It's all about management and staff.....

ampitup

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My dealer is about two weeks out for service appointments.

OP
OP
TycanNewHampshire

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
so it seems like 2-6 weeks is the norm right now....Trying to remember with my Panamera GTS I believe it was on the lower end of 1-2 weeks, perhaps 3 at the most if I needed a loaner or they needed to do a mileage service apt (ex. 40k service).
I am hoping that they train more of their staff to all be Taycan certified and that these numbers go down over time. With the potential of other models (Macan, etc.) going electric, we may just be on the front end of the adoption curve.
It makes sense that Tesla would have lower times, as this is their only vehicle as an EV, with different shells. Sort of like if they started making a diesel for the first time....however, in that case they could pull from other diesel certified mechanics in the area.
Does anyone know the ins-and-outs of being a mechanic? I am wondering if ASE has a certification for EV's and or if the computers are so specific that they can only be trained with the dealers?
It also begs the question around many 'right to fix' laws and if there will be some specialty repair shops that start to pop-up that focus on EV's? As the market grows, I am guessing that there will be more and more used EV's on the market that will need/want an independent mechanic to perform the repair.
until then........

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
so it seems like 2-6 weeks is the norm right now....Trying to remember with my Panamera GTS I believe it was on the lower end of 1-2 weeks, perhaps 3 at the most if I needed a loaner or they needed to do a mileage service apt (ex. 40k service).

Does anyone know the ins-and-outs of being a mechanic? I am wondering if ASE has a certification for EV's and or if the computers are so specific that they can only be trained with the dealers?
Definitely not the norm - depends on region and dealer. I owned a shop for 10 years and ran other shops prior. ASE tests do not offer specific EV computer training, that is completed with the manufacturer. In regards to Porsche, my dealer sends techs to training in Atlanta and/or Germany. They currently have 1 master Taycan tech and another is in the process of completing training.
Sponsored