Watch collectors - let's talk watches here!

Jsherid!

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 CTS-V Wagon (M6), 928S4
Country flag
I have an Omega Speedmaster Professional, Omega Constellation, Citizen Sailhawk, an Apple Watch and a couple of Mercedes branded watches purchased from the MB showroom at Green Park Station in London when I lived there.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Replaced the leather strap on my SBGM241 with a compatible factory GS bracelet I sourced from Asia.

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! FB-IMG-1647562183579

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! FB-IMG-1647562180847

Overall pleased with the look, think I'll keep it this way for a while, but if I get bored I'll throw the leather back on.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
In the market for an AP Royal Oak and the market is just frustrating. Will only sell based on “relationships” - meaning I need to buy an in stock watch to get the one I actually want.
Rolex have been successfully manipulating the collector market for quite a while now by limiting the supply of what are, actually, very nice but mass produced steel cased watches.

It has been very successful for them in terms of image and price compared to back when they were readily available from a local jeweller.

It looks like Audemars and others are climbing on this very profitable bandwagon as well in recent years.

In the end if that is what you want you are rather stuck with this marketing strategy and it does keep your watch's resale value high.

OTOH if you want a really nice watch to use and keep there are plenty of alternatives.

I actually dislike the big watch case fashion. As an engineer I was always impressed by watchmakers making clever watches barely bigger and thicker than the movement itself, and actually still am!

At least Rolex still make sensible watches with an excellent movement!

vaelin

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 RS, G550, EQS580+
Country flag
Latest two from earlier in the week.. was not expecting to be called for one, let alone TWO.

All four have been in the last nine months.

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! 1648240702193

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
New Speedmaster 57 starting to grab my eye and may steer me away from a Speedy Pro [emoji848]

What's your opinion on the two@

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! b4d48484daefe7b6081b6a0014be3fa5
Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! 367054c50d0409607cb1034eed0ba3b5

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
New Speedmaster 57 starting to grab my eye and may steer me away from a Speedy Pro [emoji848]

What's your opinion on the two@

b4d48484daefe7b6081b6a0014be3fa5.jpg
367054c50d0409607cb1034eed0ba3b5.jpg
I'm of the mind you can never go wrong with a Speedy Pro because it's such a classic and so versatile. I wear mine as a daily and have it on a Snoopy strap because I prefer it to the heft and clunkiness of a metal band for day in and day out.

My more "fancy" watch is a GMT Master II Pepsi, which I break out only for special occasions. Omegas are great, though.

Visceral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 Turbo S. Spyder and CT4S on the way
Country flag
Love to see all these cool watches. I've got a somewhat chaotic collection, but recently purchased a Seiko SNR051 Spring Drive GMT in titanium. It's a fun watch. Also have a 1971 Speedmaster 145.022, a couple Seamasters from over the years, some fun Hamilton pilots watches, etc.

I was always "anti-rolex" but have really begun to appreciate the low profile of the GMT Master as a everyday, beat it up, tool watch. The SNR051 was my hope for that, but it's pretty tall on the wrist. I still wear it, but the older I get the more I appreciate wearability and size over looks.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Love to see all these cool watches. I've got a somewhat chaotic collection, but recently purchased a Seiko SNR051 Spring Drive GMT in titanium. It's a fun watch. Also have a 1971 Speedmaster 145.022, a couple Seamasters from over the years, some fun Hamilton pilots watches, etc.

I was always "anti-rolex" but have really begun to appreciate the low profile of the GMT Master as a everyday, beat it up, tool watch. The SNR051 was my hope for that, but it's pretty tall on the wrist. I still wear it, but the older I get the more I appreciate wearability and size over looks.
I was never anti-rolex, but the black sub thing is a bit of a cliche for me given their ubiquity among a certain set of men. The GMT Master is very wearable even relative to a speedmaster. As you said, a good, everyday watch that can also be saved for special occasions. It's just a classic.

Visceral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 Turbo S. Spyder and CT4S on the way
Country flag
in case you have to make choice, go for this one!!!!
The new auto 57 and a Moonwatch are really different watches. The Speedy pro is a (very) mechanical feeling smaller wearing manual wind watch without a date or even hacking seconds but is one of my favorite watches on earth.
The 57 is similar to the Dark Side, Grey side, and occasional other automatic Speedmaster. It’s thicker, wears larger, is slightly more “three dimensional” in its face presentation, and has the smooth brilliant accuracy of Omegas co-axial movements. These watches do not hold their value typically like manual speedies.

The good thing is that when you have them in your hands it’s very easy to feel and see the difference.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The new auto 57 and a Moonwatch are really different watches. The Speedy pro is a (very) mechanical feeling smaller wearing manual wind watch without a date or even hacking seconds but is one of my favorite watches on earth.
The 57 is similar to the Dark Side, Grey side, and occasional other automatic Speedmaster. It’s thicker, wears larger, is slightly more “three dimensional” in its face presentation, and has the smooth brilliant accuracy of Omegas co-axial movements. These watches do not hold their value typically like manual speedies.

The good thing is that when you have them in your hands it’s very easy to feel and see the difference.
The new Caliber 9906 used in the 2022 Speedmaster 57 is a manual wind, not the same automatic movement that's found in the other models you mention above. That may be some source of confusion. Here's a stock image of the case back in case you're skeptical:

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! Omega-Speedmaster-57-Calibre-9906-2022-13
Sponsored