Watch collectors - let's talk watches here!

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
So after half a year of bracelet wear, I took the bracelet off my GS SLGH009 to change things up and turn it into another strap beast.

First with a 19mm Barton brand rubber strap

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! PSX_20220615_101438

Then with another custom made leather strap with gold deviated stitching courtesy of HD Straps 👍🏼

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! PSX_20220707_081943

WaltB

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981Spyder, 958.2 GTS, 991.2 TTS, Taycan Turbo,
Country flag
3- pretty exclusive.

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! IMG_4137.JPG

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! IMG_2270

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! IMG_3264.JPG

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
looks perfect, I think I want to buy a new watch
Timing is good. The new cherachrome GMT IIs are all down about rough 20%+ since their highs a few months back. Loads of them for sale as the speculators are spooked.

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Timing is good. The new cherachrome GMT IIs are all down about rough 20%+ since their highs a few months back. Loads of them for sale as the speculators are spooked.
Since Rolex embraced manipulating the collector market their value is probably more volatile than brands that never did in times of financial unpredictability.
The new approach by Patek and Audemars may afflict their appropriate models similarly.

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
I think you missed the “timing is good” window by around 6 years.. 😀

If buying, I’d wait a while as the market is on a downward trend. Unless you can pick up at RRP, then you’re fairly safe.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Don't pay above retail.

Wait for all this hype to die down and cost of living crisis to really bite. Then buy one new.

I got mine in April 2014 but don't wear it any more because of all the hype and thefts nowadays.
I preferred it when fewer people knew what they were.....before the hype went like Bitcoin.....
makes me think I should have sold a few months ago....except it was a 50th present.

Here's how values have tracked for that watch (Rolex GMT ll BLNR) since I got mine....... Madness.

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! Screenshot_20220711-104115_Chrono24

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I preferred it when fewer people knew what they were...
Since Rolex were set up as a marketing company they have always been advertised as a premium watch and I think most people have recognised them as a status symbol for decades.

The amazing increase in what people pay for a stainless steel one is due to Rolex recognising how easy it is to manipulate the collector’s market by restricting supply.

Back in the 1960s I wanted a Rolex Daytona or an Omega Speedmaster and eventually went for the Speedmaster (ie asked for it as a 21st present from my Dad) because NASA chose it and which I still have.
It was my every day watch for many years but I don’t wear it any more.

Not sure which would have been worth more these 50+ years later!

proficient_mathematician

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Since Rolex were set up as a marketing company they have always been advertised as a premium watch and I think most people have recognised them as a status symbol for decades.

The amazing increase in what people pay for a stainless steel one is due to Rolex recognising how easy it is to manipulate the collector’s market by restricting supply.

Back in the 1960s I wanted a Rolex Daytona or an Omega Speedmaster and eventually went for the Speedmaster (ie asked for it as a 21st present from my Dad) because NASA chose it and which I still have.
It was my every day watch for many years but I don’t wear it any more.

Not sure which would have been worth more these 50+ years later!
Probably the Daytona. They are exorbitantly expensive on the secondary market. Whereas you can actually go to an AD and be able to buy a Speedmaster new…

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Probably the Daytona. They are exorbitantly expensive on the secondary market. Whereas you can actually go to an AD and be able to buy a Speedmaster new…
Indeed
I looked at chrono24 and yes 1960s Daytonas go for 10x similar aged Speedmasters except the super rare ones.

I don’t think it has much to do with current availability new though, more rarity. Rolex didn’t have a chronograph movement back then so they were made in tiny numbers with a Zenith El Primero movement whereas the Speedmaster Pro was a regular Omega model at the time As it still is in various forms now after several years of not being a big seller.
The model has been reissued with the re-manufactured version of the 1960s movement and is much more expensive new than the current version has been.

Wrtflyr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
3- pretty exclusive.

IMG_4137.JPG

IMG_2270.jpeg

IMG_3264.JPG
Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! FBBFD103-09D4-4CA8-8389-6D16F78FF20D

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! C6F9336C-5CFA-40C2-85DE-9A19807C39CF

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! E3EA9AAE-0175-4DAC-ABFF-15E380FB15A3

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! 1A11EAFF-873A-4AF8-81E3-66C7DECD6CDD

Flying and high performance autos just seem to always go together! Here is my first watch I got for my 16th birthday and a few exclusive flying oriented watches I collected over the years. I have found memories fighting west coast F-14’s back in the early 80’s!

Last edited: