Watch collectors - let's talk watches here!

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
After being on the list for over a year, I got the call from my Rolex AD. I wanted a Submariner or Daytona (Daytona is basically never going to happen) two tone. The AD is holding a Sea-Dweller for me to pick up tomorrow. It is basically a Sub on steroids & I'm concerned it will be too big & heavy for my 7in. wrist. Anyone familiar with it? Thoughts on it as compared to a Sub? Concerned if I don't take this one that the AD is offering, that at 77 years old I will never get a Rolex.
I would wait.

There will be more availability with the state of the global economy soon.

The Seadweller is a big old unit.

I had a steel Skydweller (black face) ordered, which the AD got for me. I adored the watch, but when I tried it on it was just too big, so I turned it down.

Wait for the one you want, as you won't be happy with something you don't really want.
👍
Sponsored

proficient_mathematician

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Sea-Dweller is a chunky boy. But at least you’d be getting a Rolex at retail. If it doesn’t fit your wrist I suppose you could flip it without taking a hit? Would buying the watch bump you up on a waitlist at the AD for a Sub?

Ipercool

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan GTS ST - 22 BMW i3S - 18 MINI Countryman
Country flag
Unfortunately here (Italy) it is now strongly recommended not to have watches or valuables at home due to the very frequent thefts.
So the watches and the rest are in the bank. I watch the time on my smartphone or use a Garmin Fénix.
What a shame.

However I like automatic chronographs with three counters, I have several, my favorites are a Blancpain Villeret 1185, a Cartier Pasha, a Panerai Luminor and a Daytona (R Serial - El Primero - 200 km/h bezel scale).:cool:
My wife too likes watches, but she is more jewerly oriented... :D Panthere, Hermes padlock, Blancpain too, Chanel etc.

If in the end they will finally give me my taycan I have optioned a Tag Heuer Carrera with red writing to celebrate. 🤞

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
After being on the list for over a year, I got the call from my Rolex AD. I wanted a Submariner or Daytona (Daytona is basically never going to happen) two tone. The AD is holding a Sea-Dweller for me to pick up tomorrow. It is basically a Sub on steroids & I'm concerned it will be too big & heavy for my 7in. wrist. Anyone familiar with it? Thoughts on it as compared to a Sub? Concerned if I don't take this one that the AD is offering, that at 77 years old I will never get a Rolex.

tempImagef3mSXS.png
43mm is chunky, only way youll know if it's too big for you is to try it on at the AD and walk away if you feel it's too big for you.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
43mm is chunky, only way youll know if it's too big for you is to try it on at the AD and walk away if you feel it's too big for you.
I passed on the watch without looking at it. I was not in love with the Sea-Dweller & knew it was not a forever watch for me & looking at resales appears very likely that I would loose money by flipping the watch. I realize you should not buy a watch as an investment, but if you do not plan to keep it for the long run, resale value would be important to me. The secondary market has had a significant correction lately. My AD was fine with my decision.
Will keep waiting for a Sub or Daytona. If that never happens, I'm content with watches that I have.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Unfortunately here (Italy) it is now strongly recommended not to have watches or valuables at home due to the very frequent thefts.
So the watches and the rest are in the bank.
Seems to be very much a growing problem in London (Around Mayfair etc). People having high end watches taken at knife point or followed home and mugged there. I wonder to what extent it is junkies and how much is stolen to order to some extent. The artificial shortages of rolexs etc in part to blame too i guess. Maybe the global slow down and second hand market easing up will reduce this pressure - but i guess if people have gotten 'skilled' at stealing easily transportable trinkets worth £000s then it will continue.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I passed on the watch without looking at it. I was not in love with the Sea-Dweller & knew it was not a forever watch for me & looking at resales appears very likely that I would loose money by flipping the watch. I realize you should not buy a watch as an investment, but if you do not plan to keep it for the long run, resale value would be important to me. The secondary market has had a significant correction lately. My AD was fine with my decision.
Will keep waiting for a Sub or Daytona. If that never happens, I'm content with watches that I have.
Would you consider the 40mm Yachtmaster instead? I'm actually putting myself on a wait list for one of those instead of a Sub
Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! rolex-yachtmaster-40-blue-dial-mens-watch-126622blso-m1266220002

Wrtflyr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My favorite Rolex to wear as an every day watch is the Platinum 40 mm Yachtmaster! To me it can be dressy and a tool watch all in one!

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! 53F935F5-34AB-4826-80C2-5947A01822C0

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! CE969BAB-71BA-4195-AD83-C0330A4E2FCD

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! 38B81F0C-C493-4FFE-91A8-8AEB022AD898

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I would sooner have the Yacht master (YM) than a Submariner personally, having owned both over the years.
The case is less bulky, more rounded and comfortable to wear. Also far less common.

It was originally designed to replace the Submariner for Rolex.

I am currently thinking of getting another, a Slate YM (pic 1) and am on the wait list.

I did have the original platinum 40mm YM decades ago, which I managed to smash (pic 2). Those platinum dials are not cheap!
The platinum dial version was also not very legible either to my eyes, so it got sold.

My wife still has the 35mm version (pic 3).

My only real issue is that the platinum bezels can scratch quite easily. But I would be less hard on a watch nowadays.

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! DSC_4638

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! watch

Porsche Taycan Watch collectors - let's talk watches here! 20190518_141925

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I would sooner have the Yacht master (YM) than a Submariner personally, having owned both over the years.
The case is less bulky, more rounded and comfortable to wear. Also far less common.

It was originally designed to replace the Submariner for Rolex.

I am currently thinking of getting another, a Slate YM (pic 1) and am on the wait list.

I did have the original platinum 40mm YM decades ago, which I managed to smash (pic 2). Those platinum dials are not cheap!
The platinum dial version was also not very legible either to my eyes, so it got sold.

My wife still has the 35mm version (pic 3).

My only real issue is that the platinum bezels can scratch quite easily. But I would be less hard on a watch nowadays.

DSC_4638.jpg

watch.jpg

20190518_141925.jpg
How long is the waiting list?