Wattage of USB C ports

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
I recently mounted an Apple Magsafe charger on my MY22 CT4 console. I saw some posts where forum members were using the rear seat USB C ports because they were concerned that the console USB C ports did not have adequate power to drive the Magsafe charger. Others were using a USB C charger in the 12v accessory socket in the console compartment.

I purchased a small VA meter to measure the output of the USB C ports. The photos with readings that show 13+ Watts were taken with an iPhone 13 mini plugged into the port. The rear seat ports ands console ports did not show a significant difference with the iPhone 13 mini attached to the ports. The reading with 0.30 Watts is for the Magsafe charger with no phone mounted, in other words no charging load. With the iPhone 13 mini mounted on the Magsafe charger, the meter indicated 10+ Watts.

Based upon the readings I took I am confident that I can safely use the console USP C ports with the Magsafe charger. According to what I read on the Apple website, the iPhone 13 mini can be charged with up to 12 Watts with the Magsafe charger. When I have a chance to try a larger iPhone 13 or 13 Pro I will update this post.

Plugable brand VA meter:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAWYSVK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Porsche Taycan Wattage of USB C ports RearRightWithiPhone13mini.JPG

Porsche Taycan Wattage of USB C ports RearLeftWithiPhone13mini.JPG

Porsche Taycan Wattage of USB C ports ConsoleTopWithiPhone13miniJPG.JPG

Porsche Taycan Wattage of USB C ports ConsoleTopWiithMagsafeNoLoad.JPG

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
All I know is that I only charge with the rear seat ports and my iphone 12 charges INSANELY fast.

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All I know is that I only charge with the rear seat ports and my iphone 12 charges INSANELY fast.
I wonder if there is a difference in the console ports between the MY21 and MY22 Taycans. The charging rate with a Magsafe and iPhone 13 mini in the console port is completely acceptable in my car.

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
QFT, my wife uses the USB-C in rear seat and it is easier to pull to disconnect than opening the armrest. (straight shot from rear seat to front seat).

As reluctant as she is to do it, I prefer we keep nothing visible in car whatsoever, that includes anything at all (paper, coins, drink cups, clothing, etc.)

Last thing I want is a broken window over a charging cable.

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For people plugging in the phone cable every time they drive the car I agree that even though it would be a nuisance that it is easier to use the rear seat ports than to wrestle with the console compartment lid. My primary motivation for measuring the current values in the console was to confirm that the USB C port supplied enough power for the MagSafe charger. If it did not, I would have installed a 20 watt charger into the 12v socket. Ease of inserting the MagSafe cable into the USB C port is not an issue since it only had to be done once.

ct-andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT (eta Feb)
Country flag
Great! I want to use MagSafe too. Looks like I dont need to buy 20W charger into the 12v socket

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Thank you for doing this! I have a 2020, and I have been using a MagSafe in my console since they came out. It is superior to the built-in charging cradle due to its precise mounting.

optik382

First Name
Fletcher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bolt, 2023 XC90 PHEV, 2022 Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
What is a good MagSafe charger that mounts nicely in the Taycan? Do share pics!

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Cyberdriver888

First Name
Håkon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
I recently mounted an Apple Magsafe charger on my MY22 CT4 console. I saw some posts where forum members were using the rear seat USB C ports because they were concerned that the console USB C ports did not have adequate power to drive the Magsafe charger. Others were using a USB C charger in the 12v accessory socket in the console compartment.

I purchased a small VA meter to measure the output of the USB C ports. The photos with readings that show 13+ Watts were taken with an iPhone 13 mini plugged into the port. The rear seat ports ands console ports did not show a significant difference with the iPhone 13 mini attached to the ports. The reading with 0.30 Watts is for the Magsafe charger with no phone mounted, in other words no charging load. With the iPhone 13 mini mounted on the Magsafe charger, the meter indicated 10+ Watts.

Based upon the readings I took I am confident that I can safely use the console USP C ports with the Magsafe charger. According to what I read on the Apple website, the iPhone 13 mini can be charged with up to 12 Watts with the Magsafe charger. When I have a chance to try a larger iPhone 13 or 13 Pro I will update this post.

Plugable brand VA meter:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAWYSVK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

RearRightWithiPhone13mini.JPG

RearLeftWithiPhone13mini.JPG

ConsoleTopWithiPhone13miniJPG.JPG

ConsoleTopWiithMagsafeNoLoad.JPG
A question remaining is what is the maximum 'Power Delivery' that can be drawn from the USB C ports?

The MagSafe and the iPhone can only take up to ~15W, so the USB C ports can likely provide more than that. Anyone tested the ports with other USB C equipment with a higher draw?

What USB PD revision is the USB C ports in the Taycan?
USB hardware - Wikipedia

diegomedinaf

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have attached it here. Works well and I don’t have to look down when I drive 👍🏼

5C62C980-CF04-4D7D-A78A-140DEC10F60B.jpeg

C4DB80CD-49EC-49D7-92C6-FB004A01E8FB.jpeg

Can you shoot the links of what you are using?

I think this a very good solution. I want to order mine and seat on it......... my RWD delivery just went from 54 days to 122..........

Deleted member 7736

Has anyone tried charging an iPhone 13 Pro Max using a MagSafe charger in the center console? Any issues with power draw?

MaWW

First Name
MaWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CS 4S (Nov ‘22 🙏🙏🙏)
Country flag
Nice!

What parts did you buy to get this sorted? (Links or names?)
Sponsored