TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’ve been using waze frequently in CarPlay. I noticed that it always says my speed is 2-3mph slower than the dashboard. That’s a huge difference. Which would you bet is correct, and why? Anyone else notice the same?
Sponsored

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
I’ve been using waze frequently in CarPlay. I noticed that it always says my speed is 2-3mph slower than the dashboard. That’s a huge difference. Which would you bet is correct, and why? Anyone else notice the same?
This is pretty standard for all cars these days; there's liability for the manufacturer if the speedo tells you you're going slower than you're actually going. Some may read only 1-2 under but 3 isn't surprising at all. My 2008 BMW read 3mph faster than GPS/Waze as well.

With an analog speedo you can have it recalibrated to be more accurate if it annoys you but I have no clue how you'd do this with a Taycan. If it bothers you a lot, ask your dealer to check/adjust it but don't be surprised if they give you a flat no.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
German cars will always read high, because the law there is pretty harsh for reading low.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Out of the four Porsche’ we have owned, only the 2016 GT4 has an accurate dash mph reading. The others switch from being accurate at about 20 mph and then read 2 mph faster than actual. Our 2015 Macan Turbo adaptive cruise control sets itself to 20 mph when you flick it on below 20. When it nears 20, it has a hard time trying to decide if it wants 18 or 20 mph.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
The speedometer of any car normally shows a higher speed than reality. In my Taycan I've measured it to be only 1 km/h, which is the lowest of any car I've owned to date.

At least in 80-100kmh speeds it's only 1 kmh. At higher speeds it may be more.

My measurement is not based on GPS but rather public speedometers present in certain places in Finland. In my experience they are very accurate. From those I can exactly calculate how fast I can drive into a speed camera.

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
The speedometer of any car normally shows a higher speed than reality. In my Taycan I've measured it to be only 1 km/h, which is the lowest of any car I've owned to date.

At least in 80-100kmh speeds it's only 1 kmh. At higher speeds it may be more.

My measurement is not based on GPS but rather public speedometers present in certain places in Finland. In my experience they are very accurate. From those I can exactly calculate how fast I can drive into a speed camera.
Anytime I get a new car, I check the accuracy of the speedometer. I have a GPS I used for years for my non-navigation cars. My Cayman S and my Tesla Model S are both off by 1.5 mph. The Taycan Turbo I test drove was 1.0 mph. With my Model S, I set up the Adaptive Cruise Control to default to 2 mph over the speed limit sign. Has been quite accurate with the radar systems which show your speed - at least with the truncated speed they post. In other words, the radar system will flash 55 mph when going 55.6 vice rounding up to 56.
Sponsored