We are famous: "Porsche Taycan heater fix confirmed for owners left in the cold"

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Clarkson he is not!

No mention of Audi (even Tesla) having or having had similar issues.- to the extent that cars have not been shipped.

Some manufacturers are changing the HV heaters to capacitive which are less efficient but work. Tesla redesigned their own. No one will think to recalibrate the range for these models if the tech introduced is less efficient either.

OP
OP

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
Seems a little crazy that you have to take wheels off and remove trim to get at the heater. Remember when cars had a bonnet and you could open it and fix simple things in no time at all? I get that the design progress has been huge but they could not make these things more difficult maintain!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Seems a little crazy that you have to take wheels off and remove trim to get at the heater. Remember when cars had a bonnet and you could open it and fix simple things in no time at all? I get that the design progress has been huge but they could not make these things more difficult maintain!
Just wait until you need a wheel alignment on a Taycan - removal of bumpers, loosening of radiator hoses, recalibration of cameras etc.

Designed for simple maintenance not but maximum dealership revenue, yes!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Just wait until you need a wheel alignment on a Taycan - removal of bumpers, loosening of radiator hoses, recalibration of cameras etc.

Designed for simple maintenance not but maximum dealership revenue, yes!
"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"
- Napoleon Bonaparte

While it may seem this is purposefully designed to maximize dealer profit, I personally just assume the current generation of engineers just doesn't bother considering such "trivial" things like ease of repair. As designs get more and more complex, the humans are not keeping up, beside the fact that the demand for engineers is also diluting the field competency. You'd be shocked how many things get missed in the design process, where all that matters is showing something working to the bosses. I am very glad we have certification standards to which auto manufacturers choose to adhere to (as mind-numbing as they are to apply) so at least things such as safety are taken care of. No "ease of repair" standards that I know of, which auto manufacturers are following.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"
- Napoleon Bonaparte

While it may seem this is purposefully designed to maximize dealer profit, I personally just assume the current generation of engineers just doesn't bother considering such "trivial" things like ease of repair. As designs get more and more complex, the humans are not keeping up, beside the fact that the demand for engineers is also diluting the field competency. You'd be shocked how many things get missed in the design process, where all that matters is showing something working to the bosses. I am very glad we have certification standards to which auto manufacturers choose to adhere to (as mind-numbing as they are to apply) so at least things such as safety are taken care of. No "ease of repair" standards that I know of, which auto manufacturers are following.
Perhaps, but dealer revenues post sale on an EV are a concern for most dealerships - there's nothing really to service (a handful of moving parts), right?

Still we are presented with a variably priced bill after 2 years of ownership (or 20,000 miles) for a service which does exactly what (brake fluid change + drain inspection)? On average this is £700 - no different to what I paid on my Panamera BUT at least I felt like they'd have to do more and check more.

I am being cynical but wages have to be paid regardless and as more models become EV only then these folk still need paying along with all other overheads and so despite less actual hands on maintenance the revenues have to be maintained where reasonably you'd expect a reduction. To demonstrate labour times (11.25 hours for a full wheel alignment due to the work involved to strip and recalibrate the car, 2.5 hours for a 20K service to change brake fluid) then these are necessarily engineered into the design by design and not for any other reason.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps, but dealer revenues post sale on an EV are a concern for most dealerships - there's nothing really to service (a handful of moving parts), right?

Still we are presented with a variably priced bill after 2 years of ownership (or 20,000 miles) for a service which does exactly what (brake fluid change + drain inspection)? On average this is £700 - no different to what I paid on my Panamera BUT at least I felt like they'd have to do more and check more.

I am being cynical but wages have to be paid regardless and as more models become EV only then these folk still need paying along with all other overheads and so despite less actual hands on maintenance the revenues have to be maintained where reasonably you'd expect a reduction. To demonstrate labour times (11.25 hours for a full wheel alignment due to the work involved to strip and recalibrate the car, 2.5 hours for a 20K service to change brake fluid) then these are necessarily engineered into the design by design and not for any other reason.
Tesla is all EV, they continue to expand their service centers and hire more techs. There is obviously enough work around EV's to keep a good number of folks employed. Last I checked, dealerships have a shortage of techs and wait times to get into the shop, especially for a EVs, like Taycans, are ridiculously long, so it doesn't seem making things easier to service would make any jobs disappear. Even if it did, there is no sane reason to make things difficult to service just to keep some people employed - it would be an argument akin to "we should let out a bunch of criminals from jail, perhaps encourage people to commit crimes by enacting "crime tax incentives" in order to protect police jobs". I can see the headline already "Protect Police Jobs Act" - "all illegal income is yours to keep tax free after you serve your time" ;) .

Dealers can keep the same business model of pricing based on how much they think they can gauge the customer (you may feel more was done on your Panamera, but that is very subjective) and see if they can compete with that. It's worked for years, maybe it will continue to work. If it doesn't, someone else will fill the void.

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag

Tend to agree with you, one of the great things about our i3, bought new in 2014, sold in 2021, was that it cost us almost nothing in 7 years bar insurance, 4 MOTs at £40 a time, no vehicle tax, no London Congestion Charge, one tyre c. £120 and servicing at BMW was free because there was never anything to check, they just did software updates and topped up the screen wash.

We swapped it for an ID3 in July 21 and similarly that has cost us nothing so far. It's going in for it's software update and 12v battery upgrade this month but that's also free.

I sense the Taycan might end that run.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
2021. I'll dig out the production date when I'm home if that's useful info
Thanks. Don’t need an exact date, was curious to see which model years are reporting the failures, whether Porsche has a permanent fix (so new cars should not be experiencing this) or just swapping them out for now expecting to probably do it again in the future.
Sponsored