DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I live in Texas, and it gets very hot. Yesterday I had a good extended drive and it seemed like setting the AC to 72/auto (which is what I always do) just didn't keep up. I had to crank it down to 60 and even use Max AC a few times to remain comfortable.

Is this due to it being an EV and trying to retain battery? The glass greenhouse?

Just me?
Sponsored

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I live in Texas, and it gets very hot. Yesterday I had a good extended drive and it seemed like setting the AC to 72/auto (which is what I always do) just didn't keep up. I had to crank it down to 60 and even use Max AC a few times to remain comfortable.

Is this due to it being an EV and trying to retain battery? The glass greenhouse?

Just me?
Were you in range mode? That turns A/C to eco mode to conserve battery. You may also find the A/C more effective if in Focused mode as opposed to Diffuse. Check your A/C settings in the PCM.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Normal/Sport modes...it's just really hot here in Texas, I think.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I live in Texas
I found your problem. ?

No issues for me yet, but it’s only low 90s here so far. I usually set to 71.

I was just in Mesquite a couple weeks ago and it was really nice out. Looks like it warmed up some.

Did you open the AC menu to check setting? Not in eco (eco plus is only range mode, but there’s an eco available in other modes). Recirculation? Max AC?

Do you have a pano or metal roof Thermal glass? Window tint?

I have metal roof, thermal glass, and window tint with max UV protection.

@submatrix +1 for focused instead of diffused.
Manual settings are worthless though...

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
From a prior thread on this topic, it seems that you have a refrigerant leak. Note that the cabin and battery thermal management systems are connected, so if you have a refrigerant leak affecting cabin cooling, it may result in vehicle shutdown due to inability to control battery temperature. @TontoTaycan posted, "It is URGENT that you take the car in if indeed you have the same problem. I was told at a certain refrigerant level, the car will simply shut off. I don't know if this would happen if you were driving, but I would not take the risk."
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/air-conditioning-problem.1831/post-23727

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag

Just me?
Hard to tell. We live in Granbury and drove to Keller yesterday between 3:30PM-5:00PM - 95 on the outside temperature gauge. Glass roof, no coating or insulation. Normal drive mode, air set to 70 with the fan at '3' and moved it to '4' a couple of times and then back down to '3'. Never had a need to move to '5' or Max at all. Drove back home late this AM leaving at 11:30AM and getting home around 1:00PM - temperature guage showed 93. Same setting as yesterday and wife and I were both fine. Hard to tell if that is 'just us' or 'just you'.?

As a check, we set our internal home temperature to 76 and are comfortable.

We also have the air conditioned seats. You?

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely keep an eye on it. I drove all day in Sport, when I put it into Normal I found the AC became comfortable quite quickly.

Maybe Sport nerfs the AC to give a little extra performance?

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely keep an eye on it. I drove all day in Sport, when I put it into Normal I found the AC became comfortable quite quickly.

Maybe Sport nerfs the AC to give a little extra performance?
Switch to focus mode and set vent direction for ac. It makes a huge difference

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Im in Italy right now with good 26-30 Celsius and I have to leave it mostly at one bar, sometimes two. A/C on normal at 22 Celsius. 3 Bars and more would freeze me to death.

Edit: forgot to mention I got my little doggo in the back seats so the A/C there is also on. Maybe that helps cooling the car better?

TS-Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 TTS
Country flag
It gets pretty toasty here in South Carolina, but the a/c has not been an issue for me. However, the inability to quickly and easily direct the flow of air using a traditional vent system can contribute to making me warmer than I otherwise might be. I find the air flow controls challenging to get just right when the vehicle is moving, so I wait for a stop to zero in the flow of air. The point being, for me, it’s not the a/c it’s the position of the vents that makes it feel ”warmer” until I can get it dialed in.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Uber humid season starting now here in S. Florida and 73 AUTO works great. I have HVAC system set to diffuse mode.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
From a prior thread on this topic, it seems that you have a refrigerant leak. Note that the cabin and battery thermal management systems are connected, so if you have a refrigerant leak affecting cabin cooling, it may result in vehicle shutdown due to inability to control battery temperature. @TontoTaycan posted, "It is URGENT that you take the car in if indeed you have the same problem. I was told at a certain refrigerant level, the car will simply shut off. I don't know if this would happen if you were driving, but I would not take the risk."
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/air-conditioning-problem.1831/post-23727
This is on my radar as an important thing to watch for now, thanks. I am not concerned it's a leak though because it does blow cold air - in his issue he showed 100 degrees at the AC vents which seems like a total coolant failure.

I'm pretty sure running in sport was my cause as I ran in normal yesterday and found it to perform much better.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I did some digging and it's not sport mode but it may have been PIRM which I did recently enable. (Strangely the only FOD I've been able to turn on.)

I don't think PIRM will last long for me in Texas if it's jacking with the A/C!

ilsaair

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S, 1989 560SL, 2020 Range Rover Velar
Country flag
I'm here in Boca Raton and I find the AC works great. Definitely keep it out of RANGE mode. I run it at AUTO and let the computer do the cooling. Do play around with the vents - it makes a big difference where you have them aimed.