ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I understand. THe question is why, with a charge station set as the destination, with a two hour drive, wasn't the battery at an optimal temperature upon arrival at the charger. And not just once, but three times.
David, may I ask how you navigated to the charger. Simply searching for it may end up giving a waypoint that it does not recognize as a fast charger. What I have had the most success with is doing a find, select fuel icon, select Porsche Charging Service and find the charger that way. If it is far away and there are many others closer than the technique is to find some other business nearby then using the teardrop icon you can indicate you wish to do a find near destination and then use the fuel icon technique above and it should show your desired a charger on top of the list. I have had very good success with it performing the preheating as long as you are at least 30 to 45 minutes from the charger. But I have only been in 50F weather.

You may want to see my new charging video:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taycan-charging-sessions-full-video.3929/
Sponsored

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
What I have had the most success with is doing a find, select fuel icon, select Porsche Charging Service and find the charger that way.
Well aware, that's exactly what I did...

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well aware, that's exactly what I did...
Great you are aware, also I saw you posted the battery was only at 60F, which seems very odd if you've driven on a freeway as my battery will generally be heated to 75F when driving 65 and driving 80 will bring it over 80F.
May I ask what the outside temperature was during your tests where you saw the low battery temperature on arrival?

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We're in the Northeast in winter, so the temperature was in the high 20s or low 30s (below freezing).

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
We're in the Northeast in winter, so the temperature was in the high 20s or low 30s (below freezing).
Ahh, as I was thinking. Well I think the information we need is the experience of other Taycan drivers in such conditions. Sorry I cannot help there, it very rarely gets to 32 where I am.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
I understand. THe question is why, with a charge station set as the destination, with a two hour drive, wasn't the battery at an optimal temperature upon arrival at the charger. And not just once, but three times.
I hate to ask this, but does your car have the Intelligent Range Optimizer option? I ask because I heard that the preconditioning of the battery based on your destination depends on this feature. I haven't been able to confirm...

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I hate to ask this, but does your car have the Intelligent Range Optimizer option? I ask because I heard that the preconditioning of the battery based on your destination depends on this feature. I haven't been able to confirm...
Interesting, I did get that feature BTW; however, I do disable all of its adding of charging stations as it's too conservative for me and also picks bad locations in my opinion.
I am hoping this will improve in time and I will then use it more.

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It does, yes.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
In my experience today, once you find the charging station in the navigator and set that destination, the battery will preheat. Today at about 10 to 12 C the battery was at 19 C before setting destination. At arrival about 35 minutes later it had heated up to 29 C and charged at 150 kW at 40% SOC! Ionity charger started through the Connect app and stopped through the same app. works a treat! And I do not have the Porsche “”Intelligent”” Range Manager

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In my experience today, once you find the charging station in the navigator and set that destination, the battery will preheat.
I think it probably did preheat, but perhaps not enough. It was definitely sub-freezing out...but you'd think that it would be able to accomplish the task given a charger destination, selected properly, and quite a lot of driving. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Right - so the question remains...why didn't my battery heat up, if it likes it to be 88F, over so long a period, when there was a charger selected as a destination each time? That's what I'm wondering.
Sponsored