Weird buzzing noise from the dashboard

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Hey guys,

Today I noticed a weird electrical buzzing noise emitting from the dashboard. It sounds like it's coming from the digital instrument cluster screen, or from that area. It's a very quiet sound (around 20db), you can only hear it when you're in a quiet place with the sound system and ventilation off. Sounds pretty much like a voltage adapter/regulator.

I'll try to record the sound and post it here, but I was wondering if any of you noticed something similar in your Taycans?

If you start noticing it because of me than apologies ? But if it's something unusual then I should probably have it checked.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mazithra

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s the heartbeat of the digital cockpit.....
So it's normal? Is that what I should understand? =)

I have a giant-ass iMac in front of me and an iPad Pro right next to it, they don't do any buzzing sounds... So I'm really not OK with screens making a noise in my Taycan...

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So it's normal? Is that what I should understand? =)

I have a giant-ass iMac in front of me and an iPad Pro right next to it, they don't do any buzzing sounds... So I'm really not OK with screens making a noise in my Taycan...
It's not normal, I think the comment was meant to be funny. ;)
When the car is on you can hear some swishing from the cooling pump for the battery and when in gear and held steady you can hear the artificial vehicle pedestrian warning sound, but that's only when in D or R.

OP
OP
Mazithra

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I tried recording it with my phone today. It doesn't sound the same in the recording, but you can hear that there is a sound anyway.

Here it is:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I tried recording it with my phone today. It doesn't sound the same in the recording, but you can hear that there is a sound anyway.

Here it is:
I am sorry, I don't hear a buzzing sound, more of the normal swishing sound from the cooling is all I can detect.

OP
OP
Mazithra

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am sorry, I don't hear a buzzing sound, more of the normal swishing sound from the cooling is all I can detect.
Yeah, but the cooling/ventilation is completely off here :/

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yeah, but the cooling/ventilation is completely off here :/
I understand, I am not talking about HVAC but the cooling/heating for battery & power electronics temp management. I have the same thing on my Chevy Bolt EV. Two pumps run when the car is turned "ON" and not in drive.

But that said, I agree you may have some other noise that is not expected or desired.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Mazithra

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm going to try and find another Taycan to see if this is something special to my car.

I will keep you guys posted.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I am an audio professional/engineer and haven’t noticed a buzzing/voltage converter sound in mine. I will pay close attention next time I am in the car. Can you localize where you think its coming from so I can pay closer attention?

OP
OP
Mazithra

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am an audio professional/engineer and haven’t noticed a buzzing/voltage converter sound in mine. I will pay close attention next time I am in the car. Can you localize where you think its coming from so I can pay closer attention?
It sounds like it's coming from the instrument cluster right in front of me

Let me know if you notice something

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Just searched weird sound and found this post.…. so I guess I will just add it here.

The sound I have now had 2-3 times is like an electronic drop or chirp. Seems to come from the instrument cluster as well.

It happens when I start the car and back up and then goes away after 4-5 sounds. (And no it is not the sensors telling me I am too close to something).

Anyone had something like this?

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Just for fun, turn off your fan from the AC. That's what my chirping noise was in my Macan.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have a sound in my Turbo, that is only present when the AC is on. It is a rattle type noice, that emanates from under the cowling under the hood, near or below the VIN plate in the windshield (but the noise is under the hood, not inside, but it is heard inside the car). Going to the dealer tomorrow, will keep you posted.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have a sound in my Turbo, that is only present when the AC is on. It is a rattle type noice, that emanates from under the cowling under the hood, near or below the VIN plate in the windshield (but the noise is under the hood, not inside, but it is heard inside the car). Going to the dealer tomorrow, will keep you posted.
Interested to know what the rattle is - I have the same as you describe.
Sponsored