Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
As someone with 4 electric cars (Mach-E, MYP, MS Plaid), including a 22 RWD, you're wrong. It's worlds above in terms of handling and driving feel than 99% of mid-size cars. The "weakest" one still throws down with 85% of cars on the road.
As someone with RWD PB+ who came from a BMW M2, the Taycan is faster real world driving than the M2 was. With the one exception of cornering, due to weight difference and just possibly 0-60 if you got the gear selection spot on and it was dry.

Rolling starts / overtaking etc, the Taycan is far superior to the M2.

In fact, pretty close to the 4S in these situations - where less weight (not traction) helps.
Sponsored

OP
OP
4sCT21

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 MK 2 MR2 GT T-Bar, 2002 Volvo S80
Country flag
As someone with RWD PB+ who came from a BMW M2, the Taycan is faster real world driving than the M2 was. With the one exception of cornering, due to weight difference and just possibly 0-60 if you got the gear selection spot on and it was dry.

Rolling starts / overtaking etc, the Taycan is far superior to the M2.

In fact, pretty close to the 4S in these situations - where less weight (not traction) helps.
I went to see the BMW i4 M50, very nice car, but in the nicest possible way, it just felt like a BMW, same as with the E tron GT, that didn’t feel special enough when I sat in it. For me, when I sat in the Taycan, it felt on another level, unique and very special.

I think with the BMW, coming from the current one series, it didn’t feel much of an upgrade over my M135i and not quite as posh as my previous 6 series.

Following my second Porsche dealer visit, I decided I had to have the Taycan no matter which model and the RWD is a more than capable car.

The kick down in the Model 3 performance was mind blowing and yes I‘d love that kind of acceleration available to me, but at this point, I can’t afford to have everything.

My only real concern is owning a Taycan for a year without being covered by warranty.

Reactions: B61

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
After a substantial rethink, I’ve had a change of heart and cancelled my original order for a CT4S.

I‘ve literally spent hours researching and looking around. I’ve decided that given my long motorway commute (although only once a week) I needed to prioritise range over performance, so with that in mind I’ve ordered the following.

Taycan RWD Performance Battery Plus

Exterior Design

Deletion of Model Designation

Door Mirrors
Electrically Folding Exterior Mirrors

Interior Design
Automatically Dimming Exterior and Interior Mirrors

Suspension
Adaptive Air Suspension including Porsche Active Suspension Management - PASM

Parking Assistance
ParkAssist Including Surround View

Sunroof
Fixed Glass Panoramic Roof

Audio
BOSE Surround Sound System with 14 Speakers Including Subwoofer and a Total Output of 710 Watts

Performance Options
150kW DC On-Board Booster
Supply Cable for Red Industrial Electrical Outlet - 400V 32A 5 Pin

Steering
Heated Steering Wheel -i.c.w Leather Interior

EXTERIOR
Paint - Metallic - Volcano Grey
Wheels and Tyres
20in Alloy Wheels - Taycan Turbo Aero

OPTION PACKS
Comfort Seats Front 14-Way Electric with Memory Package

INTERIOR
Upholstery - Partial Leather with Leather Interior - Two Tone - Black-Chalk Beige

Regarding the power steering plus, having not driven a Taycan, I didn’t want to commit to it on the RWD fearing I wouldn’t like it. I know it costs more, but I’ll purchase at a later date If needed.

I think it’s a sensible spec, that ticks most of my boxes and comes in at roughly what I ultimately wanted to pay.

I had to order in Volcano grey, what a colour ?

I won’t be the quickest, but I’ll look good going relatively slowly ?
Not sure the range calculation is correct - 4S vs RWD with 20" wheels and PB+ - 4S obtains 2 miles additional range (228 vs 226 miles) whilst not material is 'more'.

Do you have a 400V (3 phase outlet to use the supply cable chosen)?

Porsche Taycan Well I’ve gone and changed my mind…. 1640789542467

Porsche Taycan Well I’ve gone and changed my mind…. 1640789574262

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I went to see the BMW i4 M50, very nice car, but in the nicest possible way, it just felt like a BMW, same as with the E tron GT, that didn’t feel special enough when I sat in it. For me, when I sat in the Taycan, it felt on another level, unique and very special.

I think with the BMW, coming from the current one series, it didn’t feel much of an upgrade over my M135i and not quite as posh as my previous 6 series.

Following my second Porsche dealer visit, I decided I had to have the Taycan no matter which model and the RWD is a more than capable car.

The kick down in the Model 3 performance was mind blowing and yes I‘d love that kind of acceleration available to me, but at this point, I can’t afford to have everything.

My only real concern is owning a Taycan for a year without being covered by warranty.
I've had my fill of traffic light drag races etc... I am too old and it really doesn't bother me any more.
And on UK roads nowadays, you never get the chance to max out any modern performance cars (and I don't do track days).

I did however always enjoy my RWD cars more than any 4WD ones.

So I bought the Taycan RWD as something to treat more akin to a GT car ( Bentley Continental et al).
Knowing its bigger and heavier than all my previous cars.

In that respect the ride and comfort (air suspension) is so far beyond anything I've had before.
It is quite simply, sublime.

With the additional surprise that it does drive like a sports car / Porsche when needed.
The steering particularly is fantastic.

I honestly couldn't be happier.

I love my Taycan!

Porsche Taycan Well I’ve gone and changed my mind…. 20210915_175554

Last edited:
OP
OP
4sCT21

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure the range calculation is correct - 4S vs RWD with 20" wheels and PB+ - 4S obtains 2 miles additional range (228 vs 226 miles) whilst not material is 'more'.

Do you have a 400V (3 phase outlet to use the supply cable chosen)?

1640789542467.png

1640789574262.png
I compared in great detail, given 90% motorway, 10*c AC off (typical autumn / winter weather) and 20” wheels, the difference was between 20 and 25 miles.

The figures do tend to jump around somewhat on the range calculator however.

I thought I read the 400v 32a cable was the one to go for?

The lease company supply the home charger and I was lead to believe you need to buy a separate public charging cable anyway?

Porsche Taycan Well I’ve gone and changed my mind…. D979A70E-34CD-4AC6-9AC2-74F9ECBB1ED5

Porsche Taycan Well I’ve gone and changed my mind…. 74D2AE76-B218-430B-85D6-6A24ECA22766

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
In the Fifth Gear Recharged episode last week Jason Plato and karun Chandhok? tested the Taycan Turbo v RS Etron GT.

Three tests and the Taycan won all 3.
The last two were flawed imo, but the first was just driving the two cars and comparing.

The Taycan won hands down.

They particularly said the steering was superb in the Porsche and numb in the Audi. This was always my issue with my previous Audi's.
Amazed they haven't sorted it for the Etron GT.
And the Taycan RWD is supposed to have the best steering of the bunch due to less weight over the front - more akin a 911.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4sCT21

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In the Fifth Gear Recharged episode last week they tested the Taycan Turbo v RS Etron GT.

Three tests and the Taycan won all 3.
The last two were flawed imo, but the first was just driving the two cars and comparing.

The Taycan won hands down.

They particularly said the steering was superb in the Porsche and numb in the Audi. This was always my issue with my previous Audi's.
Amazed they haven't sorted it for the Etron GT.
And the Taycan RWD is supposed to have the best steering of the bunch due to less weight over the front - more akin a 911.
I sat in a RS e tron valued at approx £145k, most expensive car I’ve sat in and I felt nothing, just meh tbf. Each to their own obviously. I’m sure it’s still an amazing car, but piano black trim is not my thing.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I compared in great detail, given 90% motorway, 10*c AC off (typical autumn / winter weather) and 20” wheels, the difference was between 20 and 25 miles.

The figures do tend to jump around somewhat on the range calculator however.

I thought I read the 400v 32a cable was the one to go for?

The lease company supply the home charger and I was lead to believe you need to buy a separate public charging cable anyway?

D979A70E-34CD-4AC6-9AC2-74F9ECBB1ED5.png

74D2AE76-B218-430B-85D6-6A24ECA22766.png
I get 231 miles with the 4S Cross Turismo using the same parameters as above and 250 miles for the RWD. Sometimes I've noticed you have to switch some settings on and off again to make sure the adjustments you make have been recalculated.

Not sure you can compare a CT body to a saloon to get a fair comparison - aerodynamics are different. Substituting the RWD for the 4 CT and the range is identical - 231 miles.

Also, you will never drive the car with the AC in 'OFF' mode as this would ultimately be unpleasant and not practical in winter / wet / damp periods.

The reality is that the range will vary dramatically depending on the actual conditions and so the range calculator is a help in understanding the 'best case' and assumes a 100% charge (not recommended by Porsche and if there is no option but to charge to this level then it should be used on the same day). Recommendation is 85% (or 80% depending) and at this time of year (in UK) that will derive no more than 185 miles of range BEFORE you power the car on and set the AC - many miles can quickly disappear so be mindful of that too.

RANGE drive mode helps to a degree - 8 - 10 miles (or so) can be recovered when this is in use - e.g. motorway driving.

The standard supply cable supplied with the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (standard EVSE supplied with the car) is an industrial 230V 32A good for single phase home charging to provide up to 7.4kW (ideal for home charging). Check with your dealer and your installer if you need to upgrade this but if charging at home then I can't imagine you would need to. You should tick the option for the Public Mode 3 charging cable (just in case solution for untethered charging points). The EVSE will also come supplied with a 3 pin domestic plug (13A) which is for portable or dire emergency use (very slow charging capability).

If you've not installed 3 phase electric at home and have not optioned the 22kW AC on board charger then the max you can get on AC (home or public charging) will be 7.4kW - home, 11kW - Public (hence the nature of the supply cable).

OP
OP
4sCT21

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I get 231 miles with the 4S Cross Turismo using the same parameters as above and 250 miles for the RWD. Sometimes I've noticed you have to switch some settings on and off again to make sure the adjustments you make have been recalculated.

Not sure you can compare a CT body to a saloon to get a fair comparison - aerodynamics are different. Substituting the RWD for the 4 CT and the range is identical - 231 miles.

Also, you will never drive the car with the AC in 'OFF' mode as this would ultimately be unpleasant and not practical in winter / wet / damp periods.

The reality is that the range will vary dramatically depending on the actual conditions and so the range calculator is a help in understanding the 'best case' and assumes a 100% charge (not recommended by Porsche and if there is no option but to charge to this level then it should be used on the same day). Recommendation is 85% (or 80% depending) and at this time of year (in UK) that will derive no more than 185 miles of range BEFORE you power the car on and set the AC - many miles can quickly disappear so be mindful of that too.

RANGE drive mode helps to a degree - 8 - 10 miles (or so) can be recovered when this is in use - e.g. motorway driving.

The standard supply cable supplied with the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (standard EVSE supplied with the car) is an industrial 230V 32A good for single phase home charging to provide up to 7.4kW (ideal for home charging). Check with your dealer and your installer if you need to upgrade this but if charging at home then I can't imagine you would need to. You should tick the option for the Public Mode 3 charging cable (just in case solution for untethered charging points). The EVSE will also come supplied with a 3 pin domestic plug (13A) which is for portable or dire emergency use (very slow charging capability).

If you've not installed 3 phase electric at home and have not optioned the 22kW AC on board charger then the max you can get on AC (home or public charging) will be 7.4kW - home, 11kW - Public (hence the nature of the supply cable).
Cheers.

As was pointed out in another thread, you can get a good quality public 3 for less money elsewhere, so was planning to do that.

Once the order is placed with the dealer, I’ll confirm with them as suggested. Who knows which dealer that is at this stage.

I compared the CT4s vs RWD as that is the model I would have purchased ahead of the 4S coupe.

I did notice the range calculator is a tad “fiddly.”

What put the S out of reach was I was originally planning on base paint and wheels, but I had a change of heart and that ramped costs up. As mentioned, I am price sensitive and have had to go for best value for me.

Its by far the most expensive car I’ve purchased by some £30k.

FMO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD (MY21)
Country flag
After a substantial rethink, I’ve had a change of heart and cancelled my original order for a CT4S.

I‘ve literally spent hours researching and looking around. I’ve decided that given my long motorway commute (although only once a week) I needed to prioritise range over performance, so with that in mind I’ve ordered the following.

Taycan RWD Performance Battery Plus

Exterior Design

Deletion of Model Designation

Door Mirrors
Electrically Folding Exterior Mirrors

Interior Design
Automatically Dimming Exterior and Interior Mirrors

Suspension
Adaptive Air Suspension including Porsche Active Suspension Management - PASM

Parking Assistance
ParkAssist Including Surround View

Sunroof
Fixed Glass Panoramic Roof

Audio
BOSE Surround Sound System with 14 Speakers Including Subwoofer and a Total Output of 710 Watts

Performance Options
150kW DC On-Board Booster
Supply Cable for Red Industrial Electrical Outlet - 400V 32A 5 Pin

Steering
Heated Steering Wheel -i.c.w Leather Interior

EXTERIOR
Paint - Metallic - Volcano Grey
Wheels and Tyres
20in Alloy Wheels - Taycan Turbo Aero

OPTION PACKS
Comfort Seats Front 14-Way Electric with Memory Package

INTERIOR
Upholstery - Partial Leather with Leather Interior - Two Tone - Black-Chalk Beige

Regarding the power steering plus, having not driven a Taycan, I didn’t want to commit to it on the RWD fearing I wouldn’t like it. I know it costs more, but I’ll purchase at a later date If needed.

I think it’s a sensible spec, that ticks most of my boxes and comes in at roughly what I ultimately wanted to pay.

I had to order in Volcano grey, what a colour ?

I won’t be the quickest, but I’ll look good going relatively slowly ?
I have an almost identical spec ;) save I have hard roof and PSCB - it’s wonderful and in real world driving feels faster than my RS6 performance … enjoy ?
Porsche Taycan Well I’ve gone and changed my mind…. EB1DCD9A-2D3F-4B69-BD76-511F9759D37B

OP
OP
4sCT21

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have an almost identical spec ;) save I have hard roof and PSCB - it’s wonderful and in real world driving feels faster than my RS6 performance … enjoy ?
EB1DCD9A-2D3F-4B69-BD76-511F9759D37B.jpeg
Beautiful ?

Bazza

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne hybrid V6 (Taycan on order)
Country flag
This is almost exactly my spec too here in the US, with a couple extra bits- Mission Es, RAS, etc.
Mine arrives in a few days! Longest wait ever since September!
Yours arrives in a few days!!
I also ordered mine (spec very sim to yours) early Sept in UK and apparently won’t see it till March maybe April.
So your wait has only been 4 months while mine will be 7-8 months.
Did you bribe the dealer and if so how much will that cost me??

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Yours arrives in a few days!!
I also ordered mine (spec very sim to yours) early Sept in UK and apparently won’t see it till March maybe April.
So your wait has only been 4 months while mine will be 7-8 months.
Did you bribe the dealer and if so how much will that cost me??
That is a typical wait back then here in the US I think. Now might be a bit longer. And I did get the last allocation for 2021 at our dealer. Trying to make our tax credit here in US that may expire end of year- very long shot at this point.

Bazza

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne hybrid V6 (Taycan on order)
Country flag
That is a typical wait back then here in the US I think. Now might be a bit longer. And I did get the last allocation for 2021 at our dealer. Trying to make our tax credit here in US that may expire end of year- very long shot at this point.
Please post pics when it arrives - sounds like a copy of mine.
Sponsored