tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Porsche enthusiasts – potential owners, current owners and dreamers have one thing in common – we appreciate attention to detail.

So I thought you'd enjoy this small detail that I noticed.

Remember the hotel "EV" trip I took earlier?

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2335

The hotel roof tiles have the same pattern:

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2434

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2435

They care – and I noticed.

?

Bluebeauty

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Such a great thread! Look forward to the next installment. Thanks for posting.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Echoing others, love the updates and especially the photos of parts of Europe I will never be able to cruise through in my Taycan ?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
But my favorite German car rental at MUC airport finally has EVs on offer. Maybe one day, they will have a Taycan. :clap:
I also like Sixt the best when I go to Europe. Quality cars for a similar fee as econoboxes at other rental companies.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So you're asserting that because EU charging is standardized by law, Tesla decided to add the ability to detect and only allow Tesla vehicles to charge on them via some detection/handshake? But in the US, they rely on the plug design being different as the sole way to achieve the same vendor lock in?
CCS / CCS2 plug connector is the EU standard for all EVs - Tesla were forced to comply if they wanted to sell their vehicles in EU.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 08.26.07

A quick update on costs

Distance travelled:
1,414 km
Public charging costs: €45.44

It's worth remembering that I am slightly over-charging at IONITY – to protect from not being able to get a destination charge – something which hasn't happened yet.

For US readers – in Europe we don't get any free charging sessions, you are charged from the first kWh – however the membership fee for Porsche Charging Service is waved for the first three years. On the other hand, with the RFID card that comes with the service, I've had to use zero apps to start a charge at any charger (destination or not).

I have the 22 kW AC charger – so don't have Plug & Charge capability.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 6: Zermatt (Switzerland) -> Andermatt (Switzerland)

Probably the most dramatic exit of a hotel I've ever experienced. The elevator from the reception brings you through 35 meters of rock to a cave under the hotel that leads out to the main square in Zermatt.

Exiting The Omnia Hotel [Video Clip]

We head down on the train to our fully charged car in the parking garage at Täsch.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report train

Every morning we wake up to a fully charged car. With a bit of planning are EV road trips actually easier than with an ICE car ?

Today we head to Andermatt – again indirectly – via the Simplon Pass – which briefly brings us into Italy.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report route ma

This my first Swiss mountain pass in the Taycan and the 4S performs excellently. I'm blown away with how well the regen is working and the RWS, PTV+ and PDCC working in unison to keep the car flat in the corners.

I'm not breaking any speed limits here in Switzerland – but I'm also able to take mountain pass bends at the 80 km/h limit when there is no traffic.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_0762

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_0781

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_0833

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_0835

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_0841

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2508

Short clip driving in Italy [Video Clip]

I keep the car in Sport mode and am accelerating and breaking as the road dictates. The harder you do that, the more the range just extends! This car is a chameleon – its one car on the motorway and another in the twisty bits.

Here are the stats after doing the Simplon Pass (climbing and dropping more than 1000 meters) and continuing in and out of Italy – heading towards the Gotthard Tunnel:

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 19.12.58

As the battery was at 71% – I decided to drop my planned "safety" charge at IONITY Bellinzona – and instead pushed on to Andermatt.

To reach our hotel we went through the 17km long Gotthard Road Tunnel - after 20 mins of traffic queues.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report FullSizeRender 2

I was surprised at the temperature of 38.5C in the tunnel. Taycan hit 15,000 km (50% to first service) somewhere in the middle.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report FullSizeRender 3

We arrived at our hotel – The Chedi at Andermatt with 37% battery from our destination charge at Täsch/Zermatt last night. The valet took care of plugging in for tonights destination charge – and I can see from the app – I am getting the full 20.5 kW – with the car being AC charged to full in three hours.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 18.02.36

We're here two nights – so tomorrow we tackle the Gotthard Pass which is almost directly outside our hotel and use the excellent spa here to restore body after the drives so far since Friday.

The days charging stats:

LocationStart SOC %End SOC %kWh addedCostDurationAmbient TempBattery TempCharger TypeNetwork
Andermatt, Switzerland37%100%52.731€0.003 hours14.034AC 22kWHotel

Today we did 246km over 5:31 hours, with an average speed of 46km/h, consuming 21.2 kWh/100km.

Last edited:

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Great thread and fabulous pictures. How do you make the map showing your trip for the day?
Sponsored