submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Day 6: Zermatt (Switzerland) -> Andermatt (Switzerland)

Probably the most dramatic exit of a hotel I've ever experienced. The elevator from the reception brings you through 35 meters of rock to a cave under the hotel that leads out to the main square in Zermatt.

Exiting The Omnia Hotel [Video Clip]
I wish this exit was for cars, then you could exit the hotel in your Taycan like you're exiting the Batcave :)

ElectricSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2021 Taycan 4 CT in Crayon
Country flag
We arrived at our hotel – The Chedi at Andermatt with 37% battery from our destination charge at Täsch/Zermatt last night. The valet took care of plugging in for tonights destination charge – and I can see from the app – I am getting the full 20.5 kW – with the car being AC charged to full in three hours.

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 18.02.36.png

We're here two nights – so tomorrow we tackle the Gotthard Pass which is almost directly outside our hotel and use the excellent spa here to restore body after the drives so far since Friday.
That hotel was in the news lately for accepting cryptocurrency. Hope your stay won't be ruined by Bitcoin bros crying about the dip ;)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-swiss-luxury-hotel-to-accept-crypto-payments

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Super thread, thanks for sharing :like:

Great to see how good the Ionity network is in Europe. Next week I go on holiday to the Outer Hebrides here in Scotland, finding charges over 22kW will be a challenge!

JD4S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Probably the most dramatic exit of a hotel I've ever experienced. The elevator from the reception brings you through 35 meters of rock to a cave under the hotel that leads out to the main square in Zermatt.

Exiting The Omnia Hotel [Video Clip]

We head down on the train to our fully charged car in the parking garage at Täsch.

train.jpeg

Every morning we wake up to a fully charged car. With a bit of planning are EV road trips actually easier than with an ICE car ?

Today we head to Andermatt – again indirectly – via the Simplon Pass – which briefly brings us into Italy.

route map.png

This my first Swiss mountain pass in the Taycan and the 4S performs excellently. I'm blown away with how well the regen is working and the RWS, PTV+ and PDCC working in unison to keep the car flat in the corners.

I'm not breaking any speed limits here in Switzerland – but I'm also able to take mountain pass bends at the 80 km/h limit when there is no traffic.

IMG_0762.jpeg

IMG_0781.jpeg

IMG_0833.jpeg

IMG_0835.jpeg

IMG_0841.jpeg

IMG_2508.jpeg

Short clip driving in Italy [Video Clip]

I keep the car in Sport mode and am accelerating and breaking as the road dictates. The harder you do that, the more the range just extends! This car is a chameleon – its one car on the motorway and another in the twisty bits.

Here are the stats after doing the Simplon Pass (climbing and dropping more than 1000 meters) and continuing in and out of Italy – heading towards the Gotthard Tunnel:

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 19.12.58.png

As the battery was at 71% – I decided to drop my planned "safety" charge at IONITY Bellinzona – and instead pushed on to Andermatt.

To reach our hotel we went through the 17km long Gotthard Road Tunnel - after 20 mins of traffic queues.

FullSizeRender 2.jpeg

I was surprised at the temperature of 38.5C in the tunnel. Taycan hit 15,000 km (50% to first service) somewhere in the middle.

FullSizeRender 3.jpeg

We arrived at our hotel – The Chedi at Andermatt with 37% battery from our destination charge at Täsch/Zermatt last night. The valet took care of plugging in for tonights destination charge – and I can see from the app – I am getting the full 20.5 kW – with the car being AC charged to full in three hours.

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 18.02.36.png

We're here two nights – so tomorrow we tackle the Gotthard Pass which is almost directly outside our hotel and use the excellent spa here to restore body after the drives so far since Friday.

The days charging stats:

LocationStart SOC %End SOC %kWh addedCostDurationAmbient TempBattery TempCharger TypeNetwork
Andermatt, Switzerland37%100%52.731€0.003 hours14.034AC 22kWHotel

Today we did 246km over 5:31 hours, with an average speed of 46km/h, consuming 21.2 kWh/100km.
Amazing trip post - thank you for sharing.

Oysterquartz

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s Cross Turismo
Country flag
Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 08.26.07.png

A quick update on costs

Distance travelled:
1,414 km
Public charging costs: €45.44

It's worth remembering that I am slightly over-charging at IONITY – to protect from not being able to get a destination charge – something which hasn't happened yet.

For US readers – in Europe we don't get any free charging sessions, you are charged from the first kWh – however the membership fee for Porsche Charging Service is waved for the first three years. On the other hand, with the RFID card that comes with the service, I've had to use zero apps to start a charge at any charger (destination or not).

I have the 22 kW AC charger – so don't have Plug & Charge capability.
Thanks for sharing. This was a really fun read, and an amazing post!

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Day 7: Mountain Passes and Valley Floors (Switzerland)

Woke up to a relaxing swim – and a day of driving for the enjoyment of it.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report The-Chedi-Andermatt-SPA-Indoor-Pool-01

Today is the first where we're not on the move and the plan is to enjoy the many mountain driving passes in the area.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report route pla

This hotel is certainly no stranger to Porsche – woke up to ten 911's parked out the front:

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2542

Valet brought up car fully charged and we headed off for the Furka Pass. As can be gleaned from the picture of the Porsche's it's been raining and views are non-existent.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report Rainy

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report FullSizeRender 4

However, that gives me the opportunity to experience more of the car's grip and all-wheel drive system – together with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's – its confidence inspiring.

As we come down the other side of the pass, the weather clears and we see no more rain or fog for the rest of the day.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report FullSizeRender

Leaving the Furka Pass behind us, we head up the Grimsel Pass, picking up a couple of 911's en-route – with a few more behind us. It was interesting to experience the rumble of the flat-sixes and the silence of the Taycan keeping effortlessly on their tail – I enjoyed it!

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report FullSizeRender 3

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report FullSizeRender 2

At the bottom of each mountain pass are lush valleys full of Swiss industry and agriculture.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_1151

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_1152

We stopped over in Interlaken for a bite to eat - with our parking having a AC charger – I thought I'd grab some electrons while I was eating. However, I couldn't get the charger to work – it kept indicating that charge was complete the moment it begun.

I noticed the car was at 80% state-of-charge, so maybe its one of these chargers that won't allow you charge above 80%. The attempts did show up in my Porsche Charging Service list with a zero cost.

I didn't need the charge anyways, so nothing lost.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2550

After lunch – as I wanted to experience a "car-train" – we head for Kandersteg and board the awaiting carriages.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_1203

Car Train [Video Clip]

We then head for the Gotthard Pass – I was impressed with how wide the road is over this pass.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_1309

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_1324

And of course the famous cobblestones of Tremola Pass.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_1346

Driving to the start of Tremola Pass [Video Clip]

Driving the middle of Tremola Pass [Video Clip]

And back to The Chendi for tonight and a re-charge. Unbelievably given that we climbed and dropped 1000+ meters a few times today our overnight destination charge lasted all day and we finished the day with 31% having relied only on re-gen to top up the battery coming down from the passes. On many occasions we added 5% to the battery on our way down.

The days charging stats:

LocationStart SOC %End SOC %kWh addedCostDurationAmbient TempBattery TempCharger TypeNetwork
Andermatt, Switzerland31%100%60.237€0.003.5 hours13.036AC 22kWHotel

Today we did 275km over 6:59 hours, with an average speed of 40km/h, consuming 20.6 kWh/100km.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Very nice videos and photos. Thanks for sharing those plus all the information.

Really nice trip.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
Today was a long one – will post write up in my morning.
Must have been a long one, if you were posting after 11:20pm local time...

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 8: Andermatt (Switzerland) -> Lake Garda (Italy)

Today we leave Switzerland for the last time – heading for Italy – the plan being to avoid the motorways (via Milan) and instead route over the mountain pass via Aprica and down to Riva del Garda.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report route ma

Leaving our hotel again with a full destination charge we headed down to the Gotthard Road Tunnel – to unfortunately find it closed (reason: unknown). Traffic queues were chronic and we quickly made the decision to route again over the Gotthard Pass itself. For the first time, using a mountain pass to actually get somewhere!

As our hotel is between the start of the tunnel and the pass – with traffic – we found ourselves driving past our hotel an hour after we left it and with 15% of battery used – a bit frustrating. However, with plenty of chargers along the route – we'd be able to easily compensate for the unplanned usage of energy later.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_1360

Once over the Gotthard Pass we dropped down towards the city of Lugano – deciding to grab a quick charge at IONITY Bellinzona Nord station while availing of toilet facilities and grabbing some supplies. In our 25 minutes there doing our chores – including clearing out the interior of the car – we brought the car back up to 99% charge – plenty for the days drive – and neutralising the effect of climbing a few 1000 meters more than we'd original planned with the tunnel closures.

Combining a charge with chores/rest/sightseeing really helps make a charging stop feel "free" in terms of time spent.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_1389

We headed east – away from the motorway that would otherwise take us to Milan – around Lake Lugano and Lake Como and over the mountain pass up to Aprica.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_1448

Driving up to Aprica #1 [Video Clip]

Driving up to Aprica #2 [Video Clip]

(Apologies, forgot music was playing via PCM Apple Music player – playlist: The Lounge)

Arriving at Aprica with approximately two and a half hours to our next hotel.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_1538

As we didn't know what the exact situation with destination charging at our hotel (and its not on PlugShare) and there isn't a lot of high-speed chargers around Lake Garda – we decided to stop off for a "safety" charge at IONITY Trento.

We arrived with 33% – charged for 9 minutes and left with 55% charge – plenty to give us a few hundred km tomorrow if we don't get a charge overnight. There were a few EV owners already charging and the > 200 kW rate seemed to provide much interest from an Austrian Skoda ENYAQ owner. I think the fact we were there – charged – and gone within 10 minutes – really sealed the deal!

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2584

We left the charger in the dark – first time doing so on this trip – with the matrix lights doing their job well – including "dipped beam conversion mode" allowing for the fact we're driving on "the wrong side of the road" – something which has been active since we left the car ferry a week ago.

Heading for our hotel just past Riva del Garda – there were plenty of signs warning of deer crossing – but our Night Vision Assist picked up no wildlife tonight!

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report csm_eala_di_sera_1754f500ce

We pulled into our hotel – EALA Lake Garda – just before 21.00 (9pm) where the valet quickly plugged our car into a Porsche Destination 22kW AC charger. This is the first time our Taycan has plugged into an official Porsche Destination charger – the stop at IONITY Trento proving to not have been necessary.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report destination charger

Grabbing a beer after check-in – and too tired to write up this report – woke up this morning – to a fantastic view from our room over a peaceful Lake Garda.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImagenkG48C

Time for some bubbles.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report Screenshot 2021-09-11 at 08.40.20

The days charging stats:

Bellinzona, Switzerland82%99%19.48€0.00 (free vend - unsure why)25 mins24.532DC 350kWIONITY
Trento, Italy33%55%20.37€6.729 mins20.536DC 350kWIONITY
Limone Sul Garda, Italy45%100%46.03€0.002 hrs 45 mins20.030AC 22kWPorsche Destination Charger

Today we did 467km over 9:34 hours, with an average speed of 51km/h, consuming 17.4 kWh/100km.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Route Planning with Porsche Connect App

Route planning via the Porsche Connect app has become indispensable. We use it to plan each day's route and value its accuracy in terms of calculating battery consumption and charging stops. It uses the same algorithms that the car itself uses and I've found it more accurate than A Better Route Planner app*.

Being able to send the entire route with stopovers (waypoints) to the car ahead of going out to it is also very useful – and saves typing everything into the PCM keyboard itself.

Route Planning with Porsche Connect App [Video Clip]

* I am a paying subscriber.
Sponsored

Last edited: