B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
FYI: in Slovenia, there are no tolls for EV vehicles.

EDIT: i was wrong. We have to pay for annual vignette, but there are no annual fees for usage roads at registration.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
FYI: in Slovenia, there are no tolls for EV vehicles.
That's really great – but I suspect won't last when there are a lot of EV's on the road. Right now though, it seems like a good incentive/reward for EV adoption.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Agreed. Otherwise, annual vignette costs only 110€.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 11: Grossglockner High Alpine Road (Austria)

Today we drove around the Grossglockner High Alpine Road which is at the heart of High Tauren National Park. The mountain pass road has a total of 48 km with 36 turns that leads deep into the centre of Austria’s largest national park.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report Screenshot 2021-09-13 at 06.44.55

They are well setup for EV's – with multiple chargers along the route – and a €10 discount for entry to the park – bringing the ticket down to €29. They even have a page dedicated to EV's on their website at https://www.grossglockner.at/gg/en/motorsandtyres/emobility. All the chargers along the route are free to use.

As we were only 50 km from the park, we didn't need them – but wanted to experience the impressive setup – we did get some top-ups. Before we purchased our ticket, we got a quick DC top-up.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2826

The DC charger was unusual, in that the UI gave a lot more info than a charger would typically - including what the car's BMS was "demanding". I thought it interesting:

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3075

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3076

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3078

The last time I was here was in 2007 when I was driving my then two month old Volvo S40 D5 Diesel. This is the car that I traded in 13 years later in 2020 for my first Porsche – a Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid – a significant upgrade!

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report DSCN0005

The roads here are sweeping, wide and steep – in a nutshell they are brilliant.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2143

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2209

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2244

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3053

Until we reached the glacier.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2081

We did the tourist thing and went on the funicular.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2929

We saw this beautiful 911 parked in the multi-story car park. Anyone know what colour blue this is?

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2097

At lunch we grabbed another free charging top-up – this time AC.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2976

The charger wasn't on PlugShare so I added it – https://www.plugshare.com/location/338247

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report 795191

And then a pleasant evenings drive back down to Lienz.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2275

The days charging stats:

LocationStart SOC %End SOC %kWh addedCostDurationAmbient TempBattery TempCharger TypeNetwork
Grossglockner Hochalpenstrass, Austria83%96%10.051€0.0023 mins22.530DC 50kWUnknown
Grossglockner Hochalpenstrass, Austria71%90%16.587€0.001 hour 15 mins23.035AC 22kWUnknown

Today we did 165 km over 4:39 hours, with an average speed of 36km/h, consuming 27.7 kWh/100km.

Last edited:

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What's in our frunk?

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3128

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3113

• Juice Booster 2 Travel Charger
  • Travel Charger 5 meter extension cable
  • Adaptors:
    • UK
    • Swiss
    • Schuko
    • Italian
    • 32A 3-phase industrial
    • 32A 1-phase industrial
    • 16A 3-phase industrial
    • 16A 1-phase industrial
  • Mennekes branded Type 2 AC Charging Cable
  • Porsche Cleaning Kit
  • Screenwash

The travel charger handles everything from 3 amp single phase up to 32 amp three phase electricity supplies. It also handles the three phase electrical networks without a neutral – like those found in Norway.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
What's in our frunk?

IMG_3128.jpeg

IMG_3113.jpeg

• Juice Booster 2 Travel Charger
  • Travel Charger 5 meter extension cable
  • Adaptors:
    • UK
    • Swiss
    • Schuko
    • Italian
    • 32A 3-phase industrial
    • 32A 1-phase industrial
    • 16A 3-phase industrial
    • 16A 1-phase industrial
  • Mennekes branded Type 2 AC Charging Cable
  • Porsche Cleaning Kit
  • Screenwash

The travel charger handles everything from 3 amp single phase up to 32 amp three phase electricity supplies. It also handles the three phase electrical networks without a neutral – like those found in Norway.
You certainly seem to be ready for anything. Back in the early days of EV road trips I carried all sorts of adapters but since networks like EA, ionity and so many others are available the need to have so many adapters is lessened. Enjoy your epic trip and keep the reporting coming

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 12: Lienz (Austria) -> Salzburg (Austria) ?

We left Lienz this morning for an easy drive north (and slightly further east) to Salzburg along the A10 motorway – making use of that digital vignette!

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report route ma

The weather was a balmy 25C all the way and Salzburg is at 26C.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2324

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2335

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2364

We made a pitstop at a self-service laundry for some washing chores.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3142

Before driving the remaining few kilometres to our hotel – Sheraton Salzburg – where there is a public charger right outside the hotel's entrance.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3228

Our balcony overlooks the Kurgarten beside the Mirabell Palace and Gardens.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3231

My co-driver and I got married here in the Marble Hall – 15 years ago – and the reason for this trip has been to celebrate that wedding anniversary.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report marble hall

We've been re-tracing all the places we visited at the time of our wedding and the few years around it – as we road-tripped first by train and then in our Volvo. The route hasn't been at all random!

Now to enjoy sunny Salzburg!

The days charging stats:

LocationStart SOC %End SOC %kWh addedCostDurationAmbient TempBattery TempCharger TypeNetwork
Salzburg, Austria58%100%35.15€20.412 hours2631AC 22kWPorsche Charging Service

Today we did 209 km over 3:33 hours, with an average speed of 60km/h, consuming 17.5 kWh/100km.

Last edited:

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
What a great driving vacation! Thanks for taking the time to do this travel log. Your car is making me want Neptune and Turbo S wheels for my CT4. Beautiful pictures of the scenery (and the car).

Last edited:
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 13: Salzburg (Austria) -> Stuttgart (Germany)

After a walk through Mirabell Gardens, we left Salzburg along the A8 autobahn for Stuttgart.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3409

It was threatening to rain and the traffic – especially around Munich – was very heavy.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2401

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2393

This was my first time driving the Taycan on the autobahn and I was very impressed by the car's behaviour and performance. It felt very comfortable at the higher-than-normal speeds typical of the autobahn. I was actually surprised at how "normal" the car felt. It didn't sound any different, the surface coated brakes (PSCB) behaved as they did at lower speeds. You still can't feel the transition between regen and friction braking.

The only thing I visually noticed is that tapping the brake pedal at the higher speeds would instantly cause the green regen bar to grow rapidly and start putting serious power back into the battery.

I run the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's at 2.5 bar on the front axel and 2.2 bar on the rear axel – the recommended pressures for half-load – and they were at 2.8 bar and 2.4 bar respectively as they heated up while underway.

When at speeds in excess of 180 km/h the silence of the Taycan – mine has the acoustic glass – is uncanny. While one might miss the sound of a flat-six in a 911 – I think the silence is also an impressive party piece.

You need to keep an eye on the speedometer though as without the noises of a combustion engine under a bit of strain – it is all too easy to reach speeds faster than you'd think in a Taycan.

We made our first of two scheduled charging stops at IONITY Friedberg, where we grabbed some quick fast food while waiting for around 30 kWh to be added to our battery.

There were three test Mercedes vehicles here, where Mercedes employees appeared to be testing their different vehicles at the public chargers. It was interesting to see pre-production vehicles with racks of servers and wires in the boot and passenger areas. That's not something I see everyday.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3427

Near the IONITY chargers was a Fastned Charing Station. As I am an investor and I'd never seen one of their stations before, I found it interesting. The covered areas was impressive as was the chargers and the seating bench provided out of the elements. Certainly a better "built environment" than the typical IONITY charger setup and with easier parking.

They are not on the Porsche Charging Service – I hope that is something that is addressed.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3438

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3434

We continued towards Stuttgart along the A8 where the unrestricted sections increase in length and traffic away from Munich became a little lighter. Consumption at the higher autobahn speeds was around 10 kWh/100km higher than our usual motorway consumption. We also don't have easy destination charging at our hotel, so we stopped in for a final charge at IONITY Denkendorf just before we reached Stuttgart.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3447

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3441

Our hotel for the next two nights is Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2422

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2439

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3461

The days charging stats:

Friedberg, Germany32%77%30.33€10.0117 minutes24.536DC 350kWIONITY
Denkendorf, Germany31%76%40.86€13.4819 minutes2139DC 350kWIONITY

Today we did 378 km over 5:35 hours, with an average speed of 69km/h, consuming 23.1 kWh/100km.

Last edited:

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Day 13: Salzburg (Austria) -> Stuttgart (Germany)

After a walk through Mirabell Gardens, we left Salzburg along the A8 autobahn for Stuttgart.

IMG_3409.jpeg

It was threatening to rain and the traffic – especially around Munich – was very heavy.

IMG_2401.jpeg

IMG_2393.jpeg

This was my first time driving the Taycan on the autobahn and I was very impressed by the car's behaviour and performance. It felt very comfortable at the higher-than-normal speeds typical of the autobahn. I was actually surprised at how "normal" the car felt. It didn't sound any different, the surface coated brakes (PSCB) behaved as they did at lower speeds. You still can't feel the transition between regen and friction braking.

The only thing I visually noticed is that tapping the brake pedal at the higher speeds would instantly cause the green regen bar to grow rapidly and start putting serious power back into the battery.

I run the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's at 2.5 bar on the front axel and 2.2 bar on the rear axel – the recommended pressures for half-load – and they were at 2.8 bar and 2.4 bar respectively as they heated up while underway.

When at speeds in excess of 180 km/h the silence of the Taycan – mine has the acoustic glass – is uncanny. While one might miss the sound of a flat-six in a 911 – I think the silence is also an impressive party piece.

You need to keep an eye on the speedometer though as without the noises of a combustion engine under a bit of strain – it is all too easy to reach speeds faster than you'd think in a Taycan.

We made our first of two scheduled charging stops at IONITY Friedberg, where we grabbed some quick fast food while waiting for around 30 kWh to be added to our battery.

There were three test Mercedes vehicles here, where Mercedes employees appeared to be testing their different vehicles at the public chargers. It was interesting to see pre-production vehicles with racks of servers and wires in the boot and passenger areas. That's not something I see everyday.

IMG_3427.jpeg

Near the IONITY chargers was a Fastned Charing Station. As I am an investor and I'd never seen one of their stations before, I found it interesting. The covered areas was impressive as was the chargers and the seating bench provided out of the elements. Certainly a better "built environment" than the typical IONITY charger setup and with easier parking.

They are not on the Porsche Charging Service – I hope that is something that is addressed.

IMG_3438.jpeg

IMG_3434.jpeg

We continued towards Stuttgart along the A8 where the unrestricted sections increase in length and traffic away from Munich became a little lighter. Consumption at the higher autobahn speeds was around 10 kWh/100km higher than our usual motorway consumption. We also don't have easy destination charging at our hotel, so we stopped in for a final charge at IONITY Denkendorf just before we reached Stuttgart.

IMG_3447.jpeg

IMG_3441.jpeg

Our hotel for the next two nights is Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten.

IMG_2422.jpeg

IMG_2439.jpeg

IMG_3461.jpeg

The days charging stats:

Friedberg, Germany32%77%30.33€10.0117 minutes24.536DC 350kWIONITY
Denkendorf, Germany31%76%40.86€13.4819 minutes2139DC 350kWIONITY

Today we did 378 km over 5:35 hours, with an average speed of 69km/h, consuming 23.1 kWh/100km.
Nice! I also noticed the autobahn nuked my consumption averages. Nav sent me to a Fastned in Germany that didn’t work with Porsche charge card. Found that a bit annoying…

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 14: Stuttgart (Germany) -> Karlsruhe (Germany) + Porsche Museum

We are probably the easiest going – roll with it – kind of travellers. When on a trip like this, it is impossible to plan for every eventuality so being flexible is essential to having a successful journey and a good time.

We had planned to stay two nights at our current hotel – Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten in Stuttgart – but unusually for us – have decided to move on this morning to a new hotel.

The three reasons for the decision – in no particular order – were:

#1 Destination charging

Though the hotel shows up as having EV chargers on hotels.com – the reason I originally booked it – the hotel wrote to me in advance of my stay to say they had no charger compatible with my vehicle.

This turned out to be untrue and there was a standard working Type 2 charger in the hotel underground car park. However, I only stumbled upon it accidentally late at night and by that stage it was blocked by a non-EV car.

This is the only hotel that we failed to get any charge at due to misinformation. Ironic that in the home of Porsche, that we'd experience our first five-star hotel that would be so EV unfriendly.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3482

#2 Rats

There are rats everywhere outside the hotel. We're not talking one or two but dozens at once. At one stage on our attempt to walk to a nearby restaurant there were numerous in front and behind us.

This is not necessarily the fault of the hotel – and might be due to the extensive construction taking place at the nearby main train station – but it was enough to make my co-driver uncomfortable with staying, using the underground car park and generally walking within the local environs around the hotel.

#3 Bar

With such an extensive driving trip – by necessity alcohol isn't a big feature – but we're coming towards near the end of the long driving sections and we thought we'd have a drink at the hotel bar after last nights dinner – only to be told that every empty table/seat was reserved.

Even though we were guests at this 5-star hotel – it was made fairly clear that we were not wanted. Instead, we went back to our room. As I mentioned earlier – we're not too fussy – but I don't like paying to be made feel unwelcome.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 18.48.34

Mercedes-Benz Museum

So after check-out we headed to the Mercedes-Benz Museum – in the rain – good timing on having mostly indoor activities today. The car park had plenty of EV chargers free.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3489

The charger started to immediately giving us 20kW of power – that would quickly make up for the lack of destination charging last night. Thank you Mercedes-Benz!

The museum is very impressive and well done. Being that we're here on a wet Thursday morning – its very quiet – which allows us to easily spend time at each exhibit. I think the 1930's cars were the ones that stuck out for me – they have such design flair.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3583

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3577

In term's of EV's they had this prototype police car.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3613

And this general concept EV.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3660

Which I thought had some Taycan elements to its design.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3663

And close up of an EV motor and battery components.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3675

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3676

Porsche Museum

Then it was on to Porsche Museum – thankfully the rain had stopped at this stage.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2475

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_2480

Traffic was really heavy in Zuffenhausen and it was difficult to find your way and manoeuvre around the general area.

Parking was easy at the museum itself and there was again plenty of chargers. We decided to top up again – as much for the novelty of doing so at Porsche as anything. The chargers only gave 11kW here – half the speed of Mercedes-Benz.

Our Taycan is now parked 100 meters from where it was "born".

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3749

Why PIN protect them and then tape the code to the chargers – ?‍♀ ?

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3743

After grabbing some Currywurst in the cafeteria we headed up to the museum proper.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3761

They certainly make a big deal right at the start that Porsche + Electricity are not at all strangers.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3774

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3773

The PCM looks solid – and trouble free.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3789

There are so many great cars here – I think its very difficult to pick one. But I enjoyed seeing "The Pink Pig" in real life.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3914

They had a Euro NCAP crashed Taycan 4S.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3947

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_3940

And a Taycan battery cell from LG Chem.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_4027

Some bits of the museum was like being at a nicely appointed dealer.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_4042

It was interesting to see a Formula E car up close.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_4047

Unfortunately, Factory Tours are not available until 2022 due to the pandemic. We knew that coming here, but it would still have been great to see the assembly line where our car was built.

With both the Mercedes-Benz and Porsche Museum's the buildings that house them are as much a part of the attraction as the exhibits themselves.

Karlsruhe

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 18.48.48

It was then time to head out of Stuttgart for our new hotel – Hotel Der Blaue Reiter – in Karlsruhe. While it was only around 55km away – it took 1.5 hour due to traffic jams. New hotel is great – even has its own brewery attached to it – shouldn't be too difficult to get a beer tonight!

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_4097

The days charging stats:

Mercedes-Benz Museum, Germany71%100%24.237€0.001 hour 12 minutes18.030AC 22kWNone/Free
Porsche Museum, Germany93%100%5.85€0.0023 minutes2032AC 11kWNone/Free

Today we did 117km over 3:58 hours, with an average speed of 30km/h, consuming 21.6 kWh/100km.

Last edited: