What’s the lowest range or % battery level you risked?

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
I made it him with 8 miles of range and 4% battery. I kept wondering if I could run it to 1 mile of range?
Porsche Taycan What’s the lowest range or % battery level you risked? 08AE6328-5646-47FE-95EF-8F3820240F02
Sponsored

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
OP
OP

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
fair enough, I did a 12 hr, 500+ mile road trip yesterday. I now have a much better appreciation of having to plan these things out.

I tried to land at each charging station with about 15% battery left so I could maximize the changing speed...

1. at 3 different 350 kw Electrify America chargers I maxed out at 139 kWh and the charging speeds slowed pretty dramatically after 70% or so..
2. I was learning how much buffer to add to my changing level over the stated range on the car to account for going faster than 70 mph. I added 10% over but in each case my driving ate up that 10% and at the end I had to make an unplanned stop to top off to just get me home which sucked and I landed home with this.

so I agree, day to day and locally there is no one letting the car get this low but I imagine others doing road trips are planning to minimize time at the charging station

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
In addition to the low state of charge you also need to have the battery at a high enough temperature to maximize the higher charging speeds at the EA chargers. You can precondition the battery with the Porsche nav selecting the charging location as a destination in the Porsche Charging POI or some spirited driving in Sport+.

You can configure the right side display to show battery temp which is more useful than the voltage of the 12v battery in your display. With a low SOC and battery temp above 90F I have been close to 260. You should be able to maintain above 100 kW until about 85% SOC.

kailifish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
was testing the limits when i first got the car, over did it a little. but rolled into a high speed charger as this showed up. it still showed 4km of range at 1%

Porsche Taycan What’s the lowest range or % battery level you risked? DC143144-93A7-4DD8-9068-B1535F7B4A28

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
3% is my comfort level, but that depends on your plan B if you can't charge at your destination or stop-over.

After a TNIA event at VIR Friday, I had 14 miles range left - not enough to get home (66 miles) or to the EA station at Sheetz in Hillsborough, NC (45 miles). L2 charging at the track until PIRM projected 50 miles range and 3% SOC at arrival at the Hillsborough EA station. Arrived there with 5% SOC. Along the way, Night Vision Assist saved a raccoon and three deer.

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag

After a TNIA event at VIR Friday, I had 14 miles range left - not enough to get home (66 miles) or to the EA station at Sheetz in Hillsborough, NC (45 miles). L2 charging at the track ....
Where is the level 2 charger at VIR? Is it near the Oak Tree Tavern? Was it crowded? I am going to the track in Oct and can get down there but not sure I can do a round trip....

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Judging by the speaker volume range, I would expect the lowest SoC to be -1.

I haven’t tried it yet.

OP
OP

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
I just didn't know if these things were like our phones where you might have 2-5% left and they just power down!!!

what are you doing with the Taycan at VIR anyway?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Where is the level 2 charger at VIR? Is it near the Oak Tree Tavern? Was it crowded? I am going to the track in Oct and can get down there but not sure I can do a round trip....
There is a CCS charger at Raceplex just outside of the main entry gate (turn right just before entering, then immediate right - it's across from a row of garages). It's only been working one of the three times I've been there and it's only good for 13 kW. Otherwise in both the North and South paddock there are utility poles with NEMA 14-50 chargers, but the grid at VIR is unreliable and you will have to dial back the charging current to somewhere in the 33A range to keep your charger going. However, considering you are power limited once you get below 25% SOC that's about time to stop to have room to drive home (unless you want to sit in the paddock for an hour for each 20 miles of range you need to add. Which isn't a bad deal - it takes an hour to pack up, and there's always people sticking around and interested in the Taycan - bring a couple of beers and just kick it.

From how far away are you coming, and for what event? I will be there in October as well.
What are you doing with the Taycan at VIR anyway?
Putting an enormous smile on my face, taking in the delicious smell of overcooked all-season tire compound, and releasing some brake pad dust from it's cramped quarters in the front pads.

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag

From how far away are you coming, and for what event? I will be there in October as well.
Lewis, I. am thinking real seriously about taking the Taycan - from Richmond - down for the IMSA race (Porsche Corral) and then staying over the next day for the Euroclassices track day.... not to really run super hard but run a few of what they call control laps -did it with my Carrera S and had a blast carving corners and seeing 120 plus on the straights.... thought that be good fun with the Taycan RWD

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'll see you at the Euroclassics track day (I bought mine from those guys - great group). My first track day with the Taycan was at their event last year. Their green group is paced, and last year had a couple of Cayennes. The yellow group is solo but has some faster drivers as well, but not as crazy as their blue and white groups.

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
I'll see you at the Euroclassics track day (I bought mine from those guys - great group). My first track day with the Taycan was at their event last year. Their green group is paced, and last year had a couple of Cayennes. The yellow group is solo but has some faster drivers as well, but not as crazy as their blue and white groups.
I've been going pretty steady since 2006 when I took my Cayman S. Then again with a '13 Boxster S, a '13 Carrera S, and a '17 Cayenne S.... then back to the Carrera. I am quite happy running in the Green Group each time ... plenty of high speed and go around the corners about as fast as I am capable of running.

luckystone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
Funny question, I went all the way down to 0km. I was sweating and being nervous but I made it to a fast charger just in time. Nothing crazy happened. I figured that electric cars have a safety net built in that still allows your car to go another couple kilometers after it displays 0km left.

Porsche Taycan What’s the lowest range or % battery level you risked? WhatsApp Image 2021-08-24 at 00.36.06
Sponsored