daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
From 8 pm to 6 am are 10 hours, that fills up the battery. If you really need faster charging you have 3 options:
  1. Get the 19.2 kW option, but will not have Plug&Charge
  2. Charge more often, so the battery is not that empty
  3. Find a DC fast-charger for home
you're still limited by what sort of home AC circuit you can install home - residential DCFast chargers top out at 100 amp circuits just like the AC ones - a home charger isn't going to charge any faster than the 19.2 kW version of the Taycan.

@Viv S is overthinking the EV charging duration - it doesn't matter how long it takes if it's being done while you are sleeping or while the car isn't being used.

the LIMIT here is _NOT_ the charger - it's the amount of power you can install in a residential setting…100 amps is pretty beefy - and that is a maximum charge rate of about 20 kW - which best case is 5 hours to fully charge a Taycan - changing charger technology does not work around the residential power limits
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't want to spend 9 hours charging...Thank you. (New to this electric car world...)
if the Taycan is nearly empty
and you are charging at home
and you did not specify the 19.2 kW option

it could take 9 hours to charge your Taycan at home - there is _NO_ way around that FACT.

Residential electrical systems do NOT have the capacity to charge the Taycan any faster

but keep in mind charging duration is directly proportional to amount of driving you do on any given day. If you drive 40 miles - it will take 1 hour to charge your Taycan - if you drive 260 miles it will take 9 hours to charge your Taycan.

now:

how many miles a day do you drive?
do you care how long it takes to charge your EV if you are asleep while you are doing it
do you need to drive 260 miles - come home - take a shower and then drive another 260 miles after only 1 or 2 hours of "charging" time in your home?

for most people it DOES NOT MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES to charge the EV cause it happens while the car is sitting idle in the garage while they sleep and is full before they wake up - even if it takes hours!!!

what are your daily driving requirements in terms of miles - then we can tell you how long it will take to charge the car in your home.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Viv S

how long your Taycan will take to charge at home depends on how many miles you drive a day.

without that information this is all teeth nashing

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
you're still limited by what sort of home AC circuit you can install home - residential DCFast chargers top out at 100 amp circuits just like the AC ones...
Have you ever looked into battery storage solutions for fast DC charging? This tech is used in some public charging stations, where the power supply is limited or higher power supply is too expensive...

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you ever looked into battery storage solutions for fast DC charging? This tech is used in some public charging stations, where the power supply is limited or higher power supply is too expensive...
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
21” wheels
Sport sound
Sport chrono
Air suspension
Power operated fuel door
Glass roof
Bordeaux leather 18 way sport seats
Free Smokers package (ashtray is just cool)
Fire extinguisher (it’s just a cool little package mounted on passenger seat)
Black pack
4S

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Sport chrono
Air suspension
Glass roof
Bordeaux leather 18 way sport seats
Free Smokers package (ashtray is just cool)
Fire extinguisher (it’s just a cool little package mounted on passenger seat)
Yep! I ❤ Bordeaux - have it in Taycan and Cayenne GTS. Yes, ashtray is cool. :fist bump:

Viv S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera/Taycan
Country flag
I can’t make it any clearer. If you want to charge faster at home, you need the 19.2 kW option. And the right electrical hookup and a more robust EVSE. Good luck.
Got it. Thank you so much.

Viv S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera/Taycan
Country flag
you're still limited by what sort of home AC circuit you can install home - residential DCFast chargers top out at 100 amp circuits just like the AC ones - a home charger isn't going to charge any faster than the 19.2 kW version of the Taycan.

@Viv S is overthinking the EV charging duration - it doesn't matter how long it takes if it's being done while you are sleeping or while the car isn't being used.

the LIMIT here is _NOT_ the charger - it's the amount of power you can install in a residential setting…100 amps is pretty beefy - and that is a maximum charge rate of about 20 kW - which best case is 5 hours to fully charge a Taycan - changing charger technology does not work around the residential power limits
Thank you so much for the explanation. Really appreciate it.

Viv S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera/Taycan
Country flag
I think the message here is that if you live in the US (with the exception of Montana, Wyoming, etc), 80%+ of your charging on the road will be done at EA stations. And even those states are being built out now. So you're talking about a very rare instance that this could come into play. That's why some people call it an insurance option. The use case isn't really there now but who knows about the future. And just to be clear, this option ONLY applies to DC charging (when you're on the road and looking for a fast charger). Has nothing to do with charging at home.
Thank you for the explanation.

Reactions: cfp

Viv S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera/Taycan
Country flag
if the Taycan is nearly empty
and you are charging at home
and you did not specify the 19.2 kW option

it could take 9 hours to charge your Taycan at home - there is _NO_ way around that FACT.

Residential electrical systems do NOT have the capacity to charge the Taycan any faster

but keep in mind charging duration is directly proportional to amount of driving you do on any given day. If you drive 40 miles - it will take 1 hour to charge your Taycan - if you drive 260 miles it will take 9 hours to charge your Taycan.

now:

how many miles a day do you drive?
do you care how long it takes to charge your EV if you are asleep while you are doing it
do you need to drive 260 miles - come home - take a shower and then drive another 260 miles after only 1 or 2 hours of "charging" time in your home?

for most people it DOES NOT MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES to charge the EV cause it happens while the car is sitting idle in the garage while they sleep and is full before they wake up - even if it takes hours!!!

what are your daily driving requirements in terms of miles - then we can tell you how long it will take to charge the car in your home.
Thank you for the explanation.

BTN1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S & 2020 911 Turbo S
Country flag
Hey there, can you post pic of Red Chrono? I also have Red Interior but ordered my Chrono standard color and after delivery wished I ordered in RED so I just ordered from Suncoast and dealership is going to install Red Chrono when it arrives in 4 weeks...

Not really giving up anything except maybe the GT wheel. I say maybe because I forgot if you can get the GT steering wheel alone without chrono pack on RWD. I do love the clock especially since I ordered mine with red face to match red interior. I think it adds to the overall aesthetic.

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads