What battery level you guys recommend charging and up to what max level ?

Computerglitch

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG 43 , 997
Country flag
When I collected mine 3 weeks ago from Porsche, it was charged to 96%. When I asked my SA he said it’s fine to charge to that level if you are using it. I’ve still only charged to 85% as I’ve not needed a long run yet.
Sponsored

ardevd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I’ve worked with the Jaguar I-Pace engineering team and the insight it provided gave me great confidence in modern EV batteries. The benefits of limiting charge to 85% is negligible but for long term storage you’d definitely want to keep the SoC at around 50%.

Generally, there are things that are detrimental to battery health: Rapid rate of charge, rapid rate of discharge, heat, and complete discharge. JLR engineers found that any single factor alone wasn’t enough to cause noticeable detriment to the health of the battery but when you combine two or more you start to see issues over time.

Jaguar did some pretty crazy experiments where they had an I-Pace driving at high speeds on closed circuits down in a certain middle eastern country during the summer and only used fast charging to charge it back up again. Even after 200 000 Km the battery health was still around 90%. If they removed the heat and high speed driving out of the equation they saw around 97%.

it’s important to note that the batteries in an EV are completely different than batteries in other consumer electronics. One of the primary reasons your cellphone battery deteriorates is because it’s allowed to expand and contract. In EVs the battery pack is pinned down with force which prevents that same expansion and contraction. The battery composition as well is very different. Effective cooling prevents it from becoming too hot as well.

Unfortunately, the EV battery manufacturers provide very conservative warranties which negatively impact us as customers.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Porsche maintain a 15% buffer to manage and protect the battery.

In effect this means your 100% is actually 85% of available battery capacity.

Well documented and no different to other EVs where a % of battery is always reserved and inaccessible to the user

sfr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4s MY 2021
Country flag
Yep (my car is one of them) but I think this is an error / misprint. The app for managing charging has 85% marked as a default as has the battery display in the car. Porsche Good To Know App also maintains 85%.

With an 8 year battery warranty we should not worry or overthink this.
For my MY, Good To Know app recommends 80%.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
For my MY, Good To Know app recommends 80%.
Yes - a misprint I think. Up to you but I'd happily ignore it and Porsche should formally communicate this if deemed "essential" but given they haven't...

Reactions: B61

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag

Well documented and no different to other EVs where a % of battery is always reserved and inaccessible to the user
It’s 10%, not 15%. I also haven’t seen it stated what amount is at the top and what amount is at the bottom. For example, if it’s split evenly, then displayed 100% is an actual 95% and displayed 0% is an actual 5%. But I don’t know how it’s split.

MTGBUK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Turbo S CT (Received :)
Country flag
I charge to 100% but I only charge it once a week. Definately wouldn't over think it. Obviously owning a fairly expensive car it's understandable to try find out and follow the manufacturers recommendations. But tbh charge it how you see fit. It's your car at the end of the day. I doubt Porsche would reject a warranty claim on the basis that you were charging to 100% rather than 85%.

I would say using 150KW+ chargers on a consistant basis like more than once a week would be more detrimental to the battery than charging to 100%. You currently have many EV owners especially Uber drivers here in London exclusively using fast chargers.

You have many people with high powered ICE cars put 95RON unleaded in the tank whereas it's recommended to put 97RON or higher.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I charge to 100% but I only charge it once a week. Definately wouldn't over think it. Obviously owning a fairly expensive car it's understandable to try find out and follow the manufacturers recommendations. But tbh charge it how you see fit. It's your car at the end of the day. I doubt Porsche would reject a warranty claim on the basis that you were charging to 100% rather than 85%.

I would say using 150KW+ chargers on a consistant basis like more than once a week would be more detrimental to the battery than charging to 100%. You currently have many EV owners especially Uber drivers here in London exclusively using fast chargers.

You have many people with high powered ICE cars put 95RON unleaded in the tank whereas it's recommended to put 97RON or higher.
Agreed but there is an option to manage fast charging within the PCM to protect the battery which essentially throttles it back.

I can’t imagine there isn’t inbuilt protection anyway so I agree with you - use it how you wish.

offplan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S , bicycle , my own feet
Country flag

Thanks of the info, but I believe other EV's dont manage the battery like porsche does. I'm talking about the concept of keeping the reserved cells as back up/hotswap if there is an issue with the usable cells so that the battery's range overtime doesn't reduce. Please correct me if im wrong about this.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks of the info, but I believe other EV's dont manage the battery like porsche does. I'm talking about the concept of keeping the reserved cells as back up/hotswap if there is an issue with the usable cells so that the battery's range overtime doesn't reduce. Please correct me if im wrong about this.
Hot swap isn’t a thing - replacement cells potentially and complete battery backs definitely.

I don’t think cells are kept in reserve but rather the entire charge is software managed and spread across all with a safety margin maintained in each. This safety margin (in Porsche’s case) is likely to be quite conservative and is reportedly 15% (or 10%).

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
so if you were to drive the car everyday it would be ok to charge to 100% and let it discharge till you get down to say 20%?

i currently charge to 85% and drive around 44 miles per day minimum and charge between 20-25%

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
so if you were to drive the car everyday it would be ok to charge to 100% and let it discharge till you get down to say 20%?

i currently charge to 85% and drive around 44 miles per day minimum and charge between 20-25%
this has been gone over ad nauseam
there is no problem when charging to 100% or running the car below 20% SOC. the problem is letting the car sit for extended periods of time at either extreme.

so to answer your question, if your daily drive allows the battery to discharge to under 80% then it is ok to charge to 100%.

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
this has been gone over ad nauseam
there is no problem when charging to 100% or running the car below 20% SOC. the problem is letting the car sit for extended periods of time at either extreme.

so to answer your question, if your daily drive allows the battery to discharge to under 80% then it is ok to charge to 100%.

Thanks I was pretty sure I read that somewhere but just wanted to make sure before I start ruining my battery ?

kadwar

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Macan GTS, Audi R8, 2022 Taycan 4S coming
Country flag
I go to 90 percent.
Sponsored