What do you think of my RWD build?

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
The Porsche Code

Trying to keep it under $100K but can stretch my budget a little bit if there's any change I can make to (significantly) improve the daily driving experience and/or the resell value in a few years. A few questions in particular:
  • Obviously very personal but what do you think of the Gentian Blue Metallic exterior and Standard Interior in Black/ Limestone Beige interior combination?
  • Didn't check Performance Battery Plus (93.4 kWh). Not too concerned about range as I have access to charging stations at home/work and don't do long road trips that often. Also from what I've seen while it's a bigger battery, it also adds weight so the net gain isn't that much. Is there still an argument to spend almost $6K for it?
  • Checked Rear Axle Steering. Liked it on Panamera but not sure on Taycan, as I haven't test driven with and without it to compare. Worth the $1.6K or better off saving the money/spending the money somewhere else?
I don't think anything else I've checked can be dumped. Anything I missed?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Taycan24

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD due in June
Country flag
Heated Front Seats come standard, so the box you checked is for heated rears in addition. I missed that the first time around and then unchecked the box once somebody pointed it out.

I have a fairly basic build as well but opted against Air Suspension & Rear wheel steering after scouring this forum. I gather both are nice but after having adjustable suspension in my last Tesla just didn’t use it enough to justify $2.2k

OP
OP

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
Great build, because its what you desire.
One comment, why the charger option? Please research the utility of KM2 option, not sure it is worth it in the US.
I honestly didn't spend much time thinking about this one. I believe it's future proof and at $460 it seems like a bargain, especially if it can help with the resale value in a few years.

OP
OP

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
Heated Front Seats come standard, so the box you checked is for heated rears in addition.
This is good to know! Thanks. Yeah I don't need heated rear seats.

I have a fairly basic build as well but opted against Air Suspension & Rear wheel steering after scouring this forum. I gather both are nice but after having adjustable suspension in my last Tesla just didn’t use it enough to justify $2.2k
I don't think I'll be adjusting suspension that often. With that being said I do prefer air suspension over steering suspension so I consider it more like a passive feature that's always on.
Still debating whether to get RAS or not.

Taycan24

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD due in June
Country flag
I honestly didn't spend much time thinking about this one. I believe it's future proof and at $460 it seems like a bargain, especially if it can help with the resale value in a few years.
It’s actually my understanding we need KM2 to be able to charge at Tesla Supercharger speeds at the Electrify America Chargers. I originally didn’t have the box checked, and then after reading around on this forum checked it when I added to my build after my freeze point (that’s another story).

if nothing else, I would recommend looking into it before unchecking, although I can be wrong.
Certainly wouldn’t want to spend 90 minutes at a charger during the occasional road trip when it can be just 30 minutes with the KM2 option though.

OP
OP

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
It’s actually my understanding we need KM2 to be able to charge at Tesla Supercharger speeds at the Electrify America Chargers. I originally didn’t have the box checked, and then after reading around on this forum checked it when I added to my build after my freeze point (that’s another story).

if nothing else, I would recommend looking into it before unchecking, although I can be wrong.
Certainly wouldn’t want to spend 90 minutes at a charger during the occasional road trip when it can be just 30 minutes with the KM2 option though.
Sounds good! I'll do some research as well but yeah unless there's a strong argument I'll just have it checked.

nav1

First Name
nav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
jaguar
Country flag
Great build, because its what you desire.
One comment, why the charger option? Please research the utility of KM2 option, not sure it is worth it in the US.
I went for fairly basic on spec and am very happy -regular suspension is super smooth as it is; one thing I would get next time is the heated steering wheel - heating the cabin sucks up a lot of power compared to heated seats (and I presume heated steering wheel) -so I would consider adding that in if you have not done already

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
It will as well as the bigger battery. Get the bigger battery.

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Heated Front Seats come standard, so the box you checked is for heated rears in addition. I missed that the first time around and then unchecked the box once somebody pointed it out.

My RWD will hopefully be on the next boat out of Emden. Even without test driving regular or air suspension, I ordered air suspension. The smartlift feature sold me as my driveway bottoms out most cars and we have way too many speed bumps where I live.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Porsche Code
  • Checked Rear Axle Steering. Liked it on Panamera but not sure on Taycan, as I haven't test driven with and without it to compare. Worth the $1.6K or better off saving the money/spending the money somewhere else?
Thanks in advance!
I opted no rear axle steer and allocated funds to interior bits that I will enjoy more being inside the car everyday. (red face chrono, crests, etc.) Unless you're planning aggressive track use I do not see a huge benefit for rear axle steer. My incoming RWD is for daily duty.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Even without test driving regular or air suspension, I ordered air suspension. The smartlift feature sold me as my driveway bottoms out most cars and we have way too many speed bumps where I live.
I tested both and ordered air. Smartlift alone is worth it and the ride is fantastic.

OP
OP

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
From my Research (I am no expert):

"It takes expensive circuitry to handle high power levels so Porsche decided to save money. When plugged into a DC charging station that can’t do 800V the car tells the station it can only accept up to 50 kW. It then passes the incoming 400V power through its built-in DC to DC converter. If you think you want it to handle up to 150 kW incoming at 400V you have to pay the extra cost for a more capable built-in DC to DC converter.

That more-capable DC voltage converter option sells for $460. So, it’s a good thing it isn’t really needed. Even the wealthy count their spare change.
That option isn’t needed because essentially every DC charging station in North America capable of putting out greater than 50 kW is already able to put out power at “800V” so the Taycan’s default 400V 50 kW converter limitation doesn’t apply."
If you are interested in reading the entire article here is the link. https://electricrevs.com/2019/11/19/...kw-dc-charger/

I have read the above explanation on multiple reputable websites from reviewers.
Thanks for the detailed reply! Appreciate it. After reading the article it does seem like the option can be unchecked then.

OP
OP

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
I opted no rear axle steer and allocated funds to interior bits that I will enjoy more being inside the car everyday. (red face chrono, crests, etc.) Unless you're planning aggressive track use I do not see a huge benefit for rear axle steer. My incoming RWD is for daily duty.
Thanks! That's helpful. I'll see I can test drive two back to back to compare but leaning towards unchecking it for now as well.

Shaqs

First Name
Shakil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3.
Country flag
I went for fairly basic on spec and am very happy -regular suspension is super smooth as it is; one thing I would get next time is the heated steering wheel - heating the cabin sucks up a lot of power compared to heated seats (and I presume heated steering wheel) -so I would consider adding that in if you have not done already
have asked this q in other threads but would be good to get your opinion considering you live in the uk.
With the spring suspension do u have issues with road ramps and car park entrance inclines etc. This would be the only reason I consider forking out for the air suspension with the ability to raise the car and avoid scraping the base of the front
been told by others that it shouldn’t be an issue but would very much value your opinion.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I agree with the others on dropping the 400 volt charger, you won't see it used here and you will get full power from EA stations without it.

I would encourage the Electric Sport Sound, it honestly seems silly but it does add something and I find I always have it on.

The one thing my build lacks is Sport Chrono which I wish I had solely to get Sport Plus mode.

Also I think you should strongly consider the bigger battery. While you may not need the range NOW, batteries degrade and lose range over time which will likely become a regret.
Sponsored