Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
The Taycan is my first EV. Here are a couple "learnings/tips" that I pass on to people - who don't have EVs - who look at my car:
--Many EVs are highly computerized. "You don't drive the car, you operate computers that control the car". Not only the drive train, media, and nav unit, but also braking, suspension, steering 'assist', even unlocking the doors.
Implications:
(1) expect computer-generated warning/error messages that may be difficult to interpret, software/hardware related "glitches" that may or may not recur but are difficult to reproduce, potential need to "reboot" your car, periodic software upgrades and their aftermath.
(2) diagnosing and repairing problems can be complex and time-consuming, for the owner and for most service technicians and dealers who are new to EV technology.
(Someone in this forum reported that a service tech told him fixing a Taycan was like throwing wads of gum at the car and hoping some would stick.)

--Before you agree to buy an EV, don't just look at EV reviews. Most reviewers are temporary EV users. Spend time browsing online owner forums for the brand/model of EV you are interested in. Learn what actual owners have to say about their EV experiences, options they like, problems they see, and service quality.

--In addition to the well-known, often discussed, big high-voltage lithium battery that powers the drive train, an EV has an often never-mentioned 12-volt battery that operates most of the instrumentation and control systems. If that 12-volt battery stops functioning, the EV is dead. Learn how to keep the 12-volt battery working, and what to do when it fails.

--EV's are leading/bleeding edge technology for drivers, manufacturers, dealers, and service departments. Don't become an EV owner unaware of this fact. (See example below: )

Bleeding edge technology example: --If your EV fails on the side of the road or your driveway and will not move (and wheels will not roll), does the tow truck driver you call know how to move the car?
There are a lot of good points here. I'll look at adding some of this info to the article tomorrow. I need to go play a game with one of my kids now :) Appreciate the extra info!
Sponsored

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Hi all, I just published a new article and I'd love some feedback from the community here. I tried to create an educational article based on what I've been reading here and in other places. I have no doubt I got some things wrong and I'm sure I left some important things out. If you're so inclined, I would welcome feedback on how to improve the article. I can't guarantee I will take all suggestions but I'm very open to making changes. Thanks... https://medium.com/@the.ev.newbie/what-everyone-should-know-before-they-buy-an-ev-1ba9095c15ba
  • If you don’t have regular access to an AC charging station you might not want an EV right now. DC fast charging is not intended for daily (or frequent) charging and will wear out your EV battery much faster than using slow AC charging.
Highly debated topic. What's everyone's view on this?

It's the excess heat from fast charging that results in degradation, but the BMS will control this if I recall. Frequent daily DC charging is bad, but once a week or twice a month DC charging results in battery degradation as well? That sounds absurd. Keeping the SoC between 20% and 80% at all times seems to be a consensus in maintaining battery health.

OP, Could you provide a reference to your statement? Much appreciated!

Last edited:

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Thank you for writing this ! and I have to say I’m absolutely loving the peer editing of this article. wish academic peer editing could be like this :)

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Nicely done! After 6 months of waiting, I finally took possession of my Taycan (loving it) and have been digging into the weeds of living with it as my daily driver. This article was monumentally helpful. Thank you!

OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
  • If you don’t have regular access to an AC charging station you might not want an EV right now. DC fast charging is not intended for daily (or frequent) charging and will wear out your EV battery much faster than using slow AC charging.
Highly debated topic. What's everyone's view on this?

It's the excess heat from fast charging that results in degradation, but the BMS will control this if I recall. Frequent daily DC charging is bad, but once a week or twice a month DC charging results in battery degradation as well? That sounds absurd. Keeping the SoC between 20% and 80% at all times seems to be a consensus in maintaining battery health.

OP, Could you provide a reference to your statement? Much appreciated!
Work and family have kept me pretty busy the last few days but I'm going to revisit this post today and update based on everyone's continued feedback.

Your points on DC fast charging made me go out and do more research. You're right about this topic being debated. I found some older information indicating that certain vehicles could have an issue with frequent DC fast charging but I don't see much of anything recently published that is conclusive in any way.

Loltheinternet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Range Rover L405, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Enjoyable article, and hello from the Austin area as well!
Sponsored