What good is 19.6kw charging capacity if Porsche doesn't have way of charging on AC with Porsche Connect?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
no doubt it’s a great feature - I routinely charge my Wife’s 2017 Model X @ 72 amps - it’s wonderful to come in from a 120 mile drive and fill it up in 3 hours or less - but I installed it because I value the charge time at home this offers - I had _NO_ delusions that this would be beneficial for me when away from home - I do find the occasionally 80 amp charger in the wild, and it‘s nice, but not anything you can rely on.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the good news here is that the FastDC charging network is being built out - and the slowest FastDC charges tend to be 25 kw, with a lot of charger at 50 kW, and an ever increasing installed base of 150/350 kW chargers…

so the “need” for 19.2 kW AC/L2 chargers is being supplemented by a growing installed base of FastDC chargers that are much faster…

that is another reason while this feature is questionable in the US market - FastDC is the clear path forward and this option plays no role in that charging system.

BoltsFan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan - On order
Country flag
Thanks to everyone for the quick and thorough answers. And thanks for your patience as I am a newbie to Porsche and to EVs. But everything you said makes sense to me. Two more questions(that I'm sure is obvious to others)
1) If I were to get the 19.6kw charger option, would it be "smart enough" to use a 40amp supply if that was what was connected? In other words, if the car had this option but I went to L2 public charger that was running at 40amps, could I still use it, albeit at the slower charge rate?
2) Do most public chargers have just a type 2 socket (I would need my PMCC) or do they have a cable with a j1772?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In the US, almost all chargers have cables. The car and the charger negotiate whatever the most appropriate rate of charge is. You'll get the max charge the EVSE can supply up to whatever the car will take at a particular moment. So yes, you'll get 40A from a 40A charger.

BoltsFan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan - On order
Country flag
Thank you. That's what I thought. So, the only "downside" of getting the 19.6kw is that if I don't upgrade my home to 100amp and I don't find many chargers with 100amp in the wild, then I've wasted $1680 on the option. But the car will still charge as if I hadn't purchased the option. Right?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the massage seats are a much better use of $1860 - and they will be used more often - my wife after experiencing them in the Taycan have made them a “must have” for her Cayenne eHybrid…

seriously $1860 that will provide nearly ZERO value in the North american market - people have argued over the $700 400V/150 kW option and determined it’ snot work it - honeslty it’s a much better bet that you’ll run into a 400V 150kW charger in the wild than a 19.2 kW charger in the wild - and the 400V/150kW option is cheaper…

unless you’re going to have your home/work charger setup for this, or you KNOW chargers you plan to use that are more than 48 amps - this option will be used less than vritually any other option on your Taycan.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
also there are 3 costs here - not just the option:
  1. cost of the option from Porsche
  2. cost to install a 100 amp circuit in your home
  3. cost to purchase/install a 100 amp EVSE (charger)
I’d be surprised if the total cost of all 3 items is less than $7500 when you add it all up.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche now has a 100 amp breaker capable charger - and it appears not to suck and is reasonably priced

Porsche Wall Charger - link here.

it's adjustable from 20 amp to 100 amp breaker - so it's very flexible for any set up.

it's probably not a bad choice if you want a 19.2 kW capable charger and wanna stick w/Porsche as your vendor.

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
I am a bit concerned by your post that "you need 80AMPs" for the 19.6kw AC charger. I have a Turbo S on order with a build date of mid-Nov. I purposely delayed the order ( I was able to move it a month) so that I could get the upgraded charger. I asked the dealer about the electrical requirements for home and he researched it with the electricians that they use. He told me that you use the same 50amp circuit and Mobile Charger Connect but that I would need to install a voltage regulator (that Porsche supplies) so that it doesn't prevent the rest of the electrical devices in the house from working. Is what they told me accurate? Or will I need to upgrade to a 100amp circuit?
You will need a 100a circuit to run a hardwired 80a wall connector in order to deliver up to 19kW to your new Taycan.

Maximum amperage on a 50a circuit is 40a if you comply with U.S. electrical code (NEC). You can use a NEMA 14-50 plug-in wall connector up to 40a; 48a and up need to be hardwired. Most EVs have a maximum AC charge rate of 11kw (48a) which is more than ample.

Point is using a 40a (9kW) or 48a (11kW) wall connector is not going to be very different in practice and I can't think of many cases were 19kW would be needed for home charging; perhaps your case is different.

Last edited:

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
Thanks to everyone for the quick and thorough answers. And thanks for your patience as I am a newbie to Porsche and to EVs. But everything you said makes sense to me. Two more questions(that I'm sure is obvious to others)
1) If I were to get the 19.6kw charger option, would it be "smart enough" to use a 40amp supply if that was what was connected? In other words, if the car had this option but I went to L2 public charger that was running at 40amps, could I still use it, albeit at the slower charge rate?
2) Do most public chargers have just a type 2 socket (I would need my PMCC) or do they have a cable with a j1772?
1) Yes, slower rates are not an issue.
2) The PMCC is just nice to have in your trunk for an emergency as you could plug-in to a Level I in a pinch or maybe someone's dryer outlet NEMA 14-50, possibly a campground RV NEMA 14-50.

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
I’m comparing options for 19.2kW (80A/240V) wall chargers (i.e. EVSE / Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment.) Here are the options I’m considering; am I missing anything?
  1. ClipperCreek CS100 ($2195)
  2. Porsche Wall Charger Connect ($ 1586, currently out of stock)
  3. Tesla Gen1/Gen2 Wall Connector ($500) + TeslaTap 80amp High Power ($240) - ($740 total)
Given the price and availability, the Tesla Gen1/Gen2 Wall Connector seems a very good option. Plus, the TeslaTap can be taken on road trips and used with Tesla Destination Chargers at hotels.

Am I missing anything here? Would I be giving anything up by going with the Tesla wall charger vs. Porsche? The usage history data on the Porsche portal is the only thing I’ve come up with.

Last edited: