What good is 19.6kw charging capacity if Porsche doesn't have way of charging on AC with Porsche Connect?

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
If you haven't noticed by now, the configurer is up in the US and one notable change is the AC charging available at 19.6kw. My question is, what good is that if you need 80AMPs and Porsche doesn't have a way of charging on AC with the Porsche Connect? Are they making a higher Kw charger cable/unit in the rest of the world. It is a $1700 option to add to your order, wondering if it is worth it. We only have 150AMPs at the house and I can't see using half of it for night time charging, my furnace/oven would never work at the same time. Thoughts?
Sponsored

dgompper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
If you haven't noticed by now, the configurer is up in the US and one notable change is the AC charging available at 19.6kw. My question is, what good is that if you need 80AMPs and Porsche doesn't have a way of charging on AC with the Porsche Connect? Are they making a higher Kw charger cable/unit in the rest of the world. It is a $1700 option to add to your order, wondering if it is worth it. We only have 150AMPs at the house and I can't see using half of it for night time charging, my furnace/oven would never work at the same time. Thoughts?
I spoke with my dealer last night, and he informed me that this charger will not be available until November, probably Dec. at the earliest. I took it off only because I didn't wish to have the build delayed.

OP
OP
rquinton

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
I spoke with my dealer last night, and he informed me that this charger will not be available until November, probably Dec. at the earliest. I took it off only because I didn't wish to have the build delayed.
I have a November 27 start to my build, so you are saying we would get delayed if we added it before the lock date for Nov/Dec Builds?

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
It's probably more useful when using public chargers, but even then there are very few public chargers above 11kW. Most are in the 6-10kW range. Compared to the standard 11kW, a 19.6kW would reduce your total (0-100%) charging time from roughly 7.5hrs to 4.5hrs.

Seems like an expensive option with very little benefit.

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
It's probably more useful when using public chargers, but even then there are very few public chargers above 11kW. Most are in the 6-10kW range. Compared to the standard 11kW, a 19.6kW would reduce your total (0-100%) charging time from roughly 7.5hrs to 4.5hrs.

Seems like an expensive option with very little benefit.
Completely agree. And for home, how often would you ever need that? How often are you running near 0 and need to get back to high SOC within just a couple hours for another long drive? And yet you wouldn’t be stopping at any DC charger...seems like a big expense (including home upgrades) with little practical use/benefit. IMO

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag

dgompper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have a November 27 start to my build, so you are saying we would get delayed if we added it before the lock date for Nov/Dec Builds?
You might ask your rep about any delays IF you lock in for a Nov/Dec build. I was told that if I added it, my vehicle wouldn't show up until Feb/March.

BoltsFan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan - On order
Country flag
I am a bit concerned by your post that "you need 80AMPs" for the 19.6kw AC charger. I have a Turbo S on order with a build date of mid-Nov. I purposely delayed the order ( I was able to move it a month) so that I could get the upgraded charger. I asked the dealer about the electrical requirements for home and he researched it with the electricians that they use. He told me that you use the same 50amp circuit and Mobile Charger Connect but that I would need to install a voltage regulator (that Porsche supplies) so that it doesn't prevent the rest of the electrical devices in the house from working. Is what they told me accurate? Or will I need to upgrade to a 100amp circuit?

OP
OP
rquinton

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am a bit concerned by your post that "you need 80AMPs" for the 19.6kw AC charger. I have a Turbo S on order with a build date of mid-Nov. I purposely delayed the order ( I was able to move it a month) so that I could get the upgraded charger. I asked the dealer about the electrical requirements for home and he researched it with the electricians that they use. He told me that you use the same 50amp circuit and Mobile Charger Connect but that I would need to install a voltage regulator (that Porsche supplies) so that it doesn't prevent the rest of the electrical devices in the house from working. Is what they told me accurate? Or will I need to upgrade to a 100amp circuit?
I am not an electrician and I can tell you that Porsche reps don't honestly know what they are talking about with these units. To get 19.6Kw, there has to be more AMPs. You need to ask the dealer what they mean. This isn't an issue if you are charging at a Ionity or EA but as another forum member stated, what is the value then because you would be using DC charging and this option would be useless. I see no value in it unless you have 80AMPs vs 50AMPs at home and want to charge in less time.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
19.2kW allows you to use any J-1772 100A (80A continuous) EVSE. No "mobile" or plug-in EVSE will go beyond 50A (40A continuous) by code. If you want 60A or 80A continous current, you'll need a hard-wired install. Once they don't force the super-expensive mobile charger, people will be more likely to get a wall-mounted 3rd party EVSE, and it's good that the Taycan will support the same options that other cars do.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag

To achieve the 19.2kW charging rate, you will need a 100 amp circuit that enables the EVSE to utilize 80 amps (80% of total amperage available on the given circuit) for charging. You need the 100 amp circuit/80 available amps for that level of 19.2kW charging.

I'm sorry to say that it seems your dealer gave you bad information.

The current Porsche Mobile Connect Charger that comes with your Taycan is "capable" of charging your car at 40 amps (achieving the stated 9.6kW charging rate. To accomplish that rate of charging, the PMCC will need a 50 amp circuit. The PMCC (aka Porsche's supplied/branded version of an EVSE) as well as any other EVSE will always be limited to 80% of available amperage. Thus a 50 amp circuit yields a 40 amp charge rate which yields a max charge rate of 9.6kW for your car.

If you want to charge at a 19.2kW rate, assuming your car is capable of that rate, you will need to have a 100 amp circuit installed, an EVSE capable of consuming 100 amps and producing 80 amps of charge. and OBTW, the EVSE will be hard-wired to the 100 amp circuit - it is NOT a mobile/plug-in device.

I bought a ClipperCreek HCS-60 unit for my Taycan 4S and happily charge at just shy of 11kW all day long - with NO residual heat in the system as produced by the PMCC.

There are many threads on this subject in the Charging forum. @daveo4porsche is a GREAT, KNOWLEDGABLE source of information on EVSEs and charging options.

Toby

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
what @Toby Pennycuff said - and Porsche dealers have no idea what they are talking about.

it’s really quite simple
  1. you want to charge at 19.2 kW at 240 volts
  2. you live in north america - not europe
  3. you need 80 amps of charging capacity
    1. it’s math - north american 240 volt single phase power can only provide 19.2 kW of power at 80 amps
    2. 240 volt single phase power is the 99.9% installed base in north america
  4. that requires a 100 amp circuit be installed
  5. in north america any circuit above 50 amps is hardwired - no ”plug” based system exists that matchs any building code in north america for more than 50 amps.
  6. porsche could choose to provide a Porsche branded 80 amp charger
  7. _IF_ porsche provided this charger it would _NOT_ be mobile in the north american market - no building code support for that type of configuration
    1. it MUST be hardwired!
  8. it would be expensive - it’s Porsche
  9. it will overheat - it’s Porsche
  10. and you will end up buying the clipper creek HCS-100 - cause it’s the only one that would work.
  11. this feature isn’t that useful in north america because there are not that many 19.2 kW chargers in the wild
    1. virtually non-existent ”in the wild” - a few here and there - but nothing that would make your day better with any regularity
    2. most public chargers in north america you’re lucky to find a full 40 amp charger
  12. _IF_ you do find a public charger in the wild that is 80 amps - it’s very very likely to be a Tesla Wall Charger Gen1 or Gen2 installed at business
    1. you’ll need an 80 amp TeslaTap/JDapter to safely use this charger
    2. very very very few business are going to pay $2500 for an EV charger (ClipperCreek) + the cost to install a 100 amp circuit to charge EV’s for their customers
      1. keep in mind also - 95% of EV’s SOLD in north america can NOT charge above 40 amps
      2. so there is both no demand (few if any EV’s can use this)
      3. and there is no supply - most EV chargers are not > 40 amp and they are expensive to install
  13. Porsched doesn’t understand this because in europe they have 22 kW public chargers all over the place that are plug based
    1. North America is different - and more complex
  14. I have had Tesla Gen1/Gen2 100 amp chargers installed for _YEARS_ - this is how it works - anyone telling you anything different DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
if you option this feature do not expect to use it all that often away from home in north america - you should only get this option if _YOU_ are dirving your Taycan over 200 miles a day/week and will value the improved charge time in your garage (5 hours vs. 11 hours for a FULL charge) - but if you’re charging overnight while you sleep how fast the vehicle charges is irrelevant - unless you want to start charging at midnight and be done by 5 am - EVERY DAY regardless of how much you drive...

I mean no one has every said “my EV charges too fast” - honestly 100% true....

but this option will have very very very very little benefit away from home, and if you don’t invest in a 100 amp circuit for your garage it will have virtually _NO_ benefit - because honestly you can measure the number of > 40 amp public L2 chargers on the entire west coast in less than 100, and probably less than 200 for the rest of the country

you are very very very unlikely to run into a > 40 amp L2 charger “in the wild” ever - a few hotels - yes, but not in any way that makes this feature useful.

again it’s different in europe - in that 22 kW is more ubiquitous, and you can have a 22 kW “mobile” charger.

even Tesla the pinoneer of this feature (the original Model S had an 80 amp L2 charging option) no longer ships any vehicles with more than 48 amp charging option in North America.

keep in mind 100 amps is the power servcie for an ENTIRE home in most residential installs in North America - so most residential installs could not handle adding another 100 amps for an EV charger.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Also keep in mind to charge at 80amp continuous at home (19.2kW) you probably want a 200amp main connection to your utility. Anything less (100-150amp) and you will be using a very high percentage of your main breakers capacity. If you try running other things in your house (electric oven, dryer, hot tub, etc) you could easily overload your main.

OP
OP
rquinton

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if you option this feature do not expect to use it all that often away from home in north america - you should only get this option if _YOU_ are dirving your Taycan over 200 miles a day/week and will value the improved charge time in your garage (5 hours vs. 11 hours for a FULL charge) - but if you’re charging overnight while you sleep how fast the vehicle charges is irrelevant - unless you want to start charging at midnight and be done by 5 am - EVERY DAY regardless of how much you drive...

I mean no one has every said “my EV charges too fast” - honestly 100% true....

but this option will have very very very very little benefit away from home, and if you don’t invest in a 100 amp circuit for your garage it will have virtually _NO_ benefit - because honestly you can measure the number of > 40 amp public L2 chargers on the entire west coast in less than 100, and probably less than 200 for the rest of the country

you are very very very unlikely to run into a > 40 amp L2 charger “in the wild” ever - a few hotels - yes, but not in any way that makes this feature useful.

again it’s different in europe - in that 22 kW is more ubiquitous, and you can have a 22 kW “mobile” charger.

even Tesla the pinoneer of this feature (the original Model S had an 80 amp L2 charging option) no longer ships any vehicles with more than 48 amp charging option in North America.

keep in mind 100 amps is the power servcie for an ENTIRE home in most residential installs in North America - so most residential installs could not handle adding another 100 amps for an EV charger.
Thanks Daveo, it is dead to me, dead. Thanks and my home electricity thanks you!
Sponsored