What happened to DC Fast Chargers at Porsche dealers?

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I think it will be important these chargers are in the front and not blocked unless in use. They should be for profit so it discourages abuse - but with hopefully a reasonable price per kWh. Traveling will be much easier if one can rely on dealer's chargers in addition to EA.

I remember I asked the same question on a different thread long time ago, someone replied that Porsche is late in delivering the chargers to dealers.

Both Minneapolis and St Paul Porsche had plans to install 800V chargers in front
Sponsored

Cilviloze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, MB E class, MB S class, Alphard
Country flag
I'm no electrical engineer, but I'm not sure that is accurate. The input is 400V 3-Phase, but the charger has the ability to transform and output over a wide range of amperage and voltage. The ABB Terra HP 350 cabinet, for example (which this may actually be) takes a 400V 3P input and can output up to 350kW if my reading is correct.

1597460285244.png
Thanks for the picture. According to the spec sheet 150-920V, 500A = 350kw. I'm now sure that mine (well, not mine. Porsche Thailand's) are 350kw.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Sorry, stand corrected. Looks like in fact that is a 350kw. The label on my dealers one is 50KW output.

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag
Can you share your experience if you use the chargers mentioned? I purchased my vehicle out of state (for an earlier allocation) so interested in if these chargers are available for anyone to use and if they are 24 X 7.
I have no experience charging there but I’m pretty sure they are only available during business hours as the dealer entrance is locked w chains when closed. The L2 chargers are in the external/front parking lot. I don’t recall seeing the 2 fast chargers so they are most likely somewhere in their service department. I’m sure if you call them or pre-arrange they should accommodate for use.

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 2017 Range Rover HSE, 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396
Country flag
I drove my Taycan from Erie, Pa to Rochester and stopped at the dealer there to use their charger. It is the "fast" charger with two plugs, similar to the Electrify America chargers.
Something wasn't right though. After 2 hours it went from 40% to 80%. Very slow.
My dealer in Ohio does not have the dc charger yet. Says there was a delay getting them during Covid.

I have used the Electrify America chargers twice. Very fast-20 minutes 40% to 80%. Gives me some confidence in being able to travel.

OP
OP
porsche_coyote

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Sorry, stand corrected. Looks like in fact that is a 350kw. The label on my dealers one is 50KW output.
FWIW, EA has nearly identical chargers at a couple of locations here on the Peninsula (same output rating on their stickers) and they're labeled as 150 kW. So I think this charger's capability is only a part of the story.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
This is timely; I was at my dealership today (Hennessey Porsche in Alpharetta, GA, USA) to pick up the Porsche Charging Dock so I can install prior to delivery. While I was there I walked around their attached covered parking and saw their DCFC in action today. It's an enormous tower and runs at 800V I believe. I asked my SA if customers could use it. He said he wasn't sure about policy but if I call ahead he would be happy to accommodate me. He said they mainly use it for charging demo and customer delivery vehicles.

BTW, there were at least seven Taycans on the lot that I saw (plus at least one inside I'm sure). I finally got to see one in Gentian Blue and with the 20" Turbo wheels, just like my spec. If it's possible, I think I'm even more excited now.

I'll be back at the dealership on Tuesday to actually finalize my purchase (read: write a big check). If I remember I'll try to grab a picture of the dealership's charger.

Brent
@LonePalmBJ - I was at Hennessy this past Wed to get the software update. You are correct, there were a bunch of Taycans in the lot. I missed seeing the chargers. Fyi, there are some fairly new EA chargers not too far away. They are near the Chili's restaurant. Although they are all 150kW chargers, they all work and are reasonably quick. Here is the address:

7800 North Point Parkway, Alpharetta, Georgia, 30022, US

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag
Porsche of North Houston has 2 Fast Chargers according to response just now from my rep.
Here is a follow up correction to my earlier message. After the rep confirmed having 2 DC fast chargers at the dealer, I connected with the service tech to see if they were up to speed on the power whip heating issue (separate forum threads). He gave more context to the 2 fast chargers as follows..............

Dear RIchard
.".....Porsche Cars North America is working on all the solutions for the 800 volt 350kw chargers. It is more than just adding a charger. These chargers have large batteries to store power so multiple Taycans can be charged at once to reduce the load on the power grid as well as other systems like fluid cooled cables and equipment. We have signed agreement to add the chargers but we have to wait for Porsche Cars North America to finalize and supply the systems this may not be until the end of the year or the beginning next year. COVID has slowed everything down. We do have two 400 volt 50kw chargers for prep and service......"

Disappointing, as many of you have already said or suggested.

mike-taycan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
My dealer has a L2 charger up front and a higher capacity charger in the back which is meant for service. My rep said I could bring it in for a quick charge whenever but it’s not a “rapid” charger. Said they are upset at Porsche because they told dealers they would provide them fast DC charger solutions but then said they needed to pay for them.

TobiZH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo. Model X P100D
Country flag
My Zürich based dealer has 2 of them installed. And in Frankfurt, Germany I was also able to charge at >250kw speed at the local dealer (at no cost).
The connection through the Porsche charging card does not work yet, though...

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I was at my dealership today to finalize the paperwork, do all of the registration activities and fork over an astounding amount of money. While I was there I strolled over to the DCFC they have set up in their parking area and took a couple of pics. I wasn't able to charge anything so I couldn't tell the max charge rate is, but a quick Google search suggests this is a 50kW unit.

Porsche Taycan What happened to DC Fast Chargers at Porsche dealers? 1597781617486
Porsche Taycan What happened to DC Fast Chargers at Porsche dealers? 1597781636291
Porsche Taycan What happened to DC Fast Chargers at Porsche dealers? 1597781648467
Porsche Taycan What happened to DC Fast Chargers at Porsche dealers? 1597781657965

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
@LonePalmBJ - I was at Hennessy this past Wed to get the software update. You are correct, there were a bunch of Taycans in the lot. I missed seeing the chargers. Fyi, there are some fairly new EA chargers not too far away. They are near the Chili's restaurant. Although they are all 150kW chargers, they all work and are reasonably quick. Here is the address:

7800 North Point Parkway, Alpharetta, Georgia, 30022, US
There are a few scheduled to open soon for EA in the metro area of Atlanta. One is at Lenox Mall (350Kw):

Lenox Square (Atlanta, GA)
3393 Peachtree Rd NE Atlanta, GA 30326

OP
OP
porsche_coyote

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
I was at my dealership today to finalize the paperwork, do all of the registration activities and fork over an astounding amount of money. While I was there I strolled over to the DCFC they have set up in their parking area and took a couple of pics. I wasn't able to charge anything so I couldn't tell the max charge rate is, but a quick Google search suggests this is a 50kW unit.

1597781617486.png
1597781636291.png
1597781648467.png
1597781657965.png
Given that it says that the max output voltage is 500V, my guess is it can't be any faster than 150kW, and more likely based on the label it would max out at 60-75 kW.