What happened to the 19.2 KW AC on board charger option ?

Socks

First Name
Candi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
After reading this thread I'm glad I didn't opt for the 19.2kW charger. My thought was that the existing 9.6kW unit plugged into a 50A circuit in my garage was perfectly adequate for my charging needs. Finding out that significant electrical work would be required to use the optional 19.2kW unit just reinforced my choice, not to mention the fact that it apparently wouldn't have made it into my build anyway.

OTOH, I'm a little sorry that I optioned the 400V/150kW DC upgrade since after reading @daveo4EV's posts it sounds like I will likely get little return on my $460.

Anyway, thanks to all for the explanations.
Hi..we are taking ownership on Wednesday. I have a Tesla s that I’m trading in..I’m so confused on the charging..I just purchased the Tesla tap mini 60 amp adapter. I also have the Porsche mobile charger connect. Are you happy with the charger? Now I have to learn how to work the car..but it looks worth while to learn..such a beautiful car..any suggestions would be appreciated >

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I take a lot of road trips. I may use DC fast charging 60 times a year. My concern is less about the time and hassle, but rather the larger potential (and in my mind, likely) implication. We know there are still handshake issues between Porsche and EA. I’m concerned that once plug and charge is common that both Porsche and EA will stop spending any time on improving the app / handshake experience when using the app. I say this with an engineering, software development, and product background with a major technology company. The likelihood that a product manager will decide “it’s good enough” for the small and continuing to dwindle “non plug and charge” population and decide to focus resources on continuing to improve the experience for the growing population is high.

Said another way...

I might be OK if it meant a consistent extra 20-30 seconds at each charge stop. I’m not OK if it’s the difference of 2-10 min per stop, or the risk of not charging at all.

If the answer is MY22 then transfer my deposit, negotiated discount, and give me an early MY22 allocation.
any update here? I’m insanely curious.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
any update here? I’m insanely curious.
I took delivery of the car last week. I promptly drove it to the detailer for PPF, etc., so I haven’t even charged it overnight yet. I did initiate a charge for a few minutes to just to confirm the 19.2kW charger was functional.

Porsche didn’t commit to fixing it, but they have backed off their original position of “it can’t be fixed”. Unofficially, the sales manager at my dealership was told by PCNA that they hope to fix it in software. Not a plan, but hope. I interpret this to mean they’re exploring options with suppliers and don’t yet know if they can fix it or create a workaround.

Porsche Taycan What happened to the 19.2 KW AC on board charger option ? C7097ABC-FF2D-49B9-A4A4-AFA6E8D7851D

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I took delivery of the car last week. I promptly drove it to the detailer for PPF, etc., so I haven’t even charged it overnight yet. I did initiate a charge for a few minutes to just to confirm the 19.2kW charger was functional.

Porsche didn’t commit to fixing it, but they have backed off their original position of “it can’t be fixed”. Unofficially, the sales manager at my dealership was told by PCNA that they hope to fix it in software. Not a plan, but hope. I interpret this mean they’re exploring options with suppliers and don’t yet know if they can fix it or create a workaround.

C7097ABC-FF2D-49B9-A4A4-AFA6E8D7851D.jpeg
thank you for your update - I appreciate it.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
Hi..we are taking ownership on Wednesday. I have a Tesla s that I’m trading in..I’m so confused on the charging..I just purchased the Tesla tap mini 60 amp adapter. I also have the Porsche mobile charger connect. Are you happy with the charger? Now I have to learn how to work the car..but it looks worth while to learn..such a beautiful car..any suggestions would be appreciated >
Hi Socks. To be clear I don't have my car yet (should be delivered in the next 10 days). In any event, the charger that I've been using for our e-tron and will be used for the Taycan as well is a Clipper Creek 9.6kW charger plugged into a 50A circuit in my garage. Since we don't drive every day and our mileage driven is typically fairly low the Clipper Creek has been more than adequate. It's powered by our solar array and Powerwall batteries so charging is clean and free. The fact that it's a little slower to charge than higher powered setups is of no consequence to me.

My Taycan is coming with the standard Porsche Mobile Charger, not the fancier Porsche Mobile Charger Connect that you are getting. I will reserve the PMC for when I travel away from home and can plug in.

Enjoy your new car when it arrives!

mrcool1122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3, Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
All so bizarre. I entered my order for a Turbo Cross Turismo in April 2021, and it's either on the boat or in the port. I have a 100A circuit at home with a Tesla wall connector for my existing Model S. Nothing about the 19.2 option rings any bells from back when I was configuring online, nor did the dealer mention it. But it seems like something I definitely would have wanted in order to take advantage of my home's existing wiring. Now I'm a little annoyed at the thought of being limited by the car when my outgoing Model S P100D from 5 years ago apparently is beefier. But the difference between the 9.6 and 19.2 also isn't terribly clear to me, despite having owned EVs for a decade now.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
But the difference between the 9.6 and 19.2 also isn't terribly clear to me,
The difference is 9.6?

Nothing about the 19.2 option rings any bells from back when I was configuring online, nor did the dealer mention it.
The option was removed in early March once they discovered the interference with Plug & Charge.

I have the 19.2 kW charger. 80% of the time I don’t need it and the other 20% I only think I do. ?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
9.6 kW = 10-12 hours for a 100% charge (0% to 100% battery SOC)
19.2 kW = 4-6 horus for a 100% charge (0% to 100% battery SOC)

most of the time it doesn’t matter because:
  • the battery isn’t empty
  • the battery isn’t that far “down” from daily driving
  • the car is charging overnight while you sleep so it doesn’t matter if it finished at 3 am or 5 am - either way it’s done before you wake up
I‘ve owned Model S’s with the dual charge option (100/80 amps 19.2 kW charge rate) - and it used to matter to me one day a year - thanks giving week - when I was doing multiple back and forths from san Jose to SFO, and then over to santa cruz and back again - pull in with 15% SOC and plug in and be able to get back to 40 or 50% SOC in 1 or 2 hours was awesome - that was awesome - but it was also before there were superchargers all over the place - today I’d just hit a fast charger for 20 minutes along the route…

also 19.2 kW chargers “in the wild” are a rare rare bird in North America - and 97% of them are going to be Tesla Destination chargers - so other than home (or work if you have one) you’d need a TeslaTap 80 amp version to have a Taycan take advantage of any 100/80 amp chargers you encounter in the wild - pure J-1772 100/80 amp chargers are very very very very rare.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
All so bizarre. I entered my order for a Turbo Cross Turismo in April 2021, and it's either on the boat or in the port. I have a 100A circuit at home with a Tesla wall connector for my existing Model S. Nothing about the 19.2 option rings any bells from back when I was configuring online, nor did the dealer mention it. But it seems like something I definitely would have wanted in order to take advantage of my home's existing wiring. Now I'm a little annoyed at the thought of being limited by the car when my outgoing Model S P100D from 5 years ago apparently is beefier. But the difference between the 9.6 and 19.2 also isn't terribly clear to me, despite having owned EVs for a decade now.
19.2 has been deleted because it conflicts with the plug and charge. be thankful that you do not have it because it has really screwed up my EA charging

mrcool1122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3, Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
9.6 kW = 10-12 hours for a 100% charge (0% to 100% battery SOC)
19.2 kW = 4-6 horus for a 100% charge (0% to 100% battery SOC)

most of the time it doesn’t matter because:
  • the battery isn’t empty
  • the battery isn’t that far “down” from daily driving
  • the car is charging overnight while you sleep so it doesn’t matter if it finished at 3 am or 5 am - either way it’s done before you wake up
I‘ve owned Model S’s with the dual charge option (100/80 amps 19.2 kW charge rate) - and it used to matter to me one day a year - thanks giving week - when I was doing multiple back and forths from san Jose to SFO, and then over to santa cruz and back again - pull in with 15% SOC and plug in and be able to get back to 40 or 50% SOC in 1 or 2 hours was awesome - that was awesome - but it was also before there were superchargers all over the place - today I’d just hit a fast charger for 20 minutes along the route…

also 19.2 kW chargers “in the wild” are a rare rare bird in North America - and 97% of them are going to be Tesla Destination chargers - so other than home (or work if you have one) you’d need a TeslaTap 80 amp version to have a Taycan take advantage of any 100/80 amp chargers you encounter in the wild - pure J-1772 100/80 amp chargers are very very very very rare.
You're of course totally correct on an objective level that at home, charging overnight, we won't hardly notice a difference since it'll still be topped up each morning regardless. But I can't deny it's annoying that I invested the money years ago in my home infrastructure to make sure the garage stuff wouldn't ever be a limit in the future, and now it's the car that's taking a step backward. This only ever came to my attention when I started researching my options to update the 100A / Tesla HPWC setup in anticipation of Taycan delivery in July. I've decided just to go with a TeslaTap 80 because it's cheaper than installing a ClipperCreek 80A EVSE, even though I know, logically, that all of it will be beyond what the new car can accept. Just hate the idea of moving backwards in capability. And our utility's lowest-cost TOU tier is from 10 pm to 8 am; less than 12 hours. All edge cases, I know, but still I will feel my feelings before moving on with my life.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you are not moving backward - 100 amps prepares you for eventual multiple EV ownership and you can install dual EV chargers that can dynamically split the load between two EV's charging at the same time overnight…

your Taycan will charge at 48 amps (60 amp breaker) or 11 kW on your Tesla Charger - the 9.6 kW "limit" is only when using a 40 amp EV charger (50 amp breaker) which is the only EV charger porsche ships in North America

your Tesla Wall charger at 100 amps can charge the Taycan at a full 48 amps (11 kW) - which will be about 10.68 kW reported by the car

mrcool1122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3, Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I hear you that practically there is no difference because overnight is overnight. But kw-for-kw, is it not slower to charge than a (Model S or hypothetical Taycan) 19.2 kw otherwise would be, given my home wiring? My Model S currently indicates it charges at like 55-57 amp. I'm trying to figure this stuff out as I go so maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but seems like it will be slower to charge even with the same equipment I already have. But really I understand that I'll probably never care day-to-day; part of my reptile brain just wants "the best."

PorschePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Audi Q7
Country flag
This forum is awesome because without the knowledge and expertise of you all things like the issue specified in this thread would be lost on me, so thanks.

With this in mind, I called Porsche support this morning to see if my Taycan which is scheduled for production on 3/19 would be affected by this issue as I specified the 19.2KW option in my build because the sales guy indicated it would be a good idea—you can’t after all have too many charging options he cheerfully told me. I asked the support team if it would be automatically deleted. No one there knew the answer.

Porsche support, if you have had reason to call them, is essentially non-existent. The person I spoke with was great and super-nice, but he fully owned up to the fact that the support team knows nothing about the software in the Taycan or any issues related to options being deleted from the configurator and how they affect production.

Like it or not, Porsche has become a technology company and it’s up to Porsche USA to respond accordingly. For example, if you call Apple for support, you mention your product and you are then connected to someone familiar with that product. If that person is unable to help, your are connected to Tier 2 support. Porsche needs to do the same thing as the cars have become “computers” on wheels.

Finally, the dealers need to up their game in terms of being experts on the products they sell. It’s astonishing to me that there is wildly differing levels of knowledge at the dealer level. The lack of training is extremely problematic and should be addressed ASAP.
I have become friends with the head of the Porsche service department in my area. I’ve found it much more beneficial and informative to go through the service department with my questions. The service department is after all responsible in the end to fix issues with the cars. I am having the head of the service department handle the sale of my Taycan because he’s who I trust and to be honest the sales staff can be somewhat useless regarding info like this. I am going to ask about this option and will try and post any pertinent info I get here.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I have become friends with the head of the Porsche service department in my area. I’ve found it much more beneficial and informative to go through the service department with my questions. The service department is after all responsible in the end to fix issues with the cars. I am having the head of the service department handle the sale of my Taycan because he’s who I trust and to be honest the sales staff can be somewhat useless regarding info like this. I am going to ask about this option and will try and post any pertinent info I get here.
That’s great that you’ve developed a relationship with someone you trust, but I don’t understand the last part of your note. We know exactly what the 19.2kW option does. I have it and use it every day, but my situation is different than most.

If you have questions, there are several people here who can answer them. There isn’t any mystery here.
Sponsored