What happened to the 19.2 KW AC on board charger option ?

PorschePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Audi Q7
Country flag
It kind of does seem like a mystery to many. If there wasn’t there would not be threads like this. If what I am installing in my home does not take advantage of this feature then I’m not going to gamble on ever finding a charging station in the US that will take advantage of the option. Plus it does not seem clear here whether the 19.2kW option actually works some say yes some say no. So to me it is a bit confusing. I do agree wholeheartedly that this forum is of great help but there are things posted that are not all in line with each other. Which is why I plan to use a trusted resource to help me navigate. If you don’t mind me asking what do you have installed in your garage that allows you to take advantage of the 19.2kW option? How much did it cost to implement?
Sponsored

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
It kind of does seem like a mystery to many. If there wasn’t there would not be threads like this. If what I am installing in my home does not take advantage of this feature then I’m not going to gamble on ever finding a charging station in the US that will take advantage of the option. Plus it does not seem clear here whether the 19.2kW option actually works some say yes some say no. So to me it is a bit confusing. I do agree wholeheartedly that this forum is of great help but there are things posted that are not all in line with each other. Which is why I plan to use a trusted resource to help me navigate. If you don’t mind me asking what do you have installed in your garage that allows you to take advantage of the 19.2kW option? How much did it cost to implement?
the 19.2 onboard charger has been pulled from the options this is because it caused a software issue that blocks the plug and charge from working and in my car it makes every EA charge stop a roulette situation. Porsche seems to have no answer for the issues that they baked into the car and charged those of us who paid for this option that causes charging conflicts.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Just a clarify a few things:
  1. The 19.2kW charger does work. I’m not aware of anyone saying otherwise
  2. Questions about the 19.2kW Charger on here are largely one of 3 categories (none of which are waiting on information from Porsche )
    1. What is the option/what do I need to use it/do I need it?
      1. This one largely comes from ignorance and isn’t much different from other charging related questions. Just people looking for help
    2. Where did the 19.2kW option go?
      1. It was removed from the 2021 configurator in March when Porsche discovered it interfered with Plug & Charge; but it’s back for 2022
    3. Why doesn’t Plug & Charge work?
      1. …see #2
To take advantage of the 19.2kW Charger you need a hardwired Level 2 EVSE that can deliver more than 11kW (what the Taycan appears to charge with standard equipment, despite being spec’ed at 9.6kW). To take full advantage, you’d have a 19.2kW EVSE.

I have an 18kW EVSE for mine. It cost $1200 for the EVSE and another $1800 to add a 125A subpanel to my garage, wire the EVSE, and add an additonal 14-30 receptacle (which I’ve temporarily replace with a 14-50 for testing).

The only thing that is maybe in question is a rumor that Porsche may have an update of some sort for the 2021 19.2kW cars to allow P&C, but I’m not holding my breath.

All that said, please do share any info you happen across! Even if you think the forum may already know, it’s alway nice to have more sources!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
will it work properly? what about those of us who it doesn't work for?
Well; since Porsche pulled it in 2021, I’m going to say there’s a good chance they gave it a once-over before putting it back on the menu for 2022.

As far as 2021 cars…

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

PorschePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok thanks for the info it is much appreciated. The confusion is some are saying it doesn’t work like kort and moreover is hindering charging. Is it a 2021 vs 2022 thing? Did Porsche resolve this issue on the new production cars which is why it is back on the options list? Are any 2022 owners having issue that got this option? I’m in the process of ordering a build and this is really the last thing I’m trying to understand to decide whether or not to put it on the build.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok thanks for the info it is much appreciated. The confusion is some are saying it doesn’t work like kort and moreover is hindering charging. Is it a 2021 vs 2022 thing? Did Porsche resolve this issue on the new production cars which is why it is back on the options list? Are any 2022 owners having issue that got this option? I’m in the process of ordering a build and this is really the last thing I’m trying to understand to decide whether or not to put it on the build.
@kort is referring to Plug & Charge not working in addition to general issues with Electrify America. Neither of which are related to the use of the 19.2kW Charger itself.

So, P&C doesn’t work because the 19.2kW Charger is installed, but the 19.2kW Charger itself works.

2022 configurator just went live last week. It’ll be months before there are any 2022 cars. But I think it’s unlikely Porsche will make that mistake twice.

Whether or not you need it…depends on how you plan to use the car and whether or not you have available load at home to install a large enough EVSE for it.

In the US, it’s mostly for home use.

PorschePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@kort is referring to Plug & Charge not working in addition to general issues with Electrify America. Neither of which are related to the use of the 19.2kW Charger itself.

So, P&C doesn’t work because the 19.2kW Charger is installed, but the 19.2kW Charger itself works.

2022 configurator just went live last week. It’ll be months before there are any 2022 cars. But I think it’s unlikely Porsche will make that mistake twice.

Whether or not you need it…depends on how you plan to use the car and whether or not you have available load at home to install a large enough EVSE for it.

In the US, it’s mostly for home use.
Ok got you, thanks for breaking it down for me. I understand now. Sorry to clog up the board with this.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
@kort is referring to Plug & Charge not working in addition to general issues with Electrify America.
who are you to be speaking for me and the issues that I've encountered, to repeat do not speak for me! the issues I have charging have zero to do with any EA issues, it is 100% a problem with the car which I attribute to the conflicts caused by the 19.2 charger failures.

PorschePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for clarifying kort. To take a option off the list then put it back on is a bit concerning and seems to point to there being potential issues with it. If it was just software issue you’d think they would keep the option on the list while preparing an update rather than take it off completely. Well best we can do is keep an open dialogue and share info as this forum seems to do so well.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for clarifying kort. To take a option off the list then put it back on is a bit concerning and seems to point to there being potential issues with it. If it was just software issue you’d think they would keep the option on the list while preparing an update rather than take it off completely. Well best we can do is keep an open dialogue and share info as this forum seems to do so well.
It’s not that simple. The issue with the 19.2kW charger was related to a certificate for P&C that could not be updated.

To be clear, I have seen zero reports of the 19.2kW charger not working. All of complaints I’ve seen were related to P&C.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
who are you to be speaking for me and the issues that I've encountered, to repeat do not speak for me! the issues I have charging have zero to do with any EA issues, it is 100% a problem with the car which I attribute to the conflicts caused by the 19.2 charger failures.
I’m not speaking for you. I’m speaking about you.

And that’s necessary as you’re spreading information that is misleading and confusing.

With phrases like “19.2 charger failures”.

Have you had any issues with the AC charger? And if so, are they different than the ones people have had generally?

The only issue I’m aware of is with a certificate that affects P&C, which causes you to have to use the app to charge at EA, which is hit and miss for you. Tell me where I have it wrong.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I’m not speaking for you. I’m speaking about you.

And that’s necessary as you’re spreading information that is misleading and confusing.

With phrases like “19.2 charger failures”.

Have you had any issues with the AC charger? And if so, are they different than the ones people have had generally?

The only issue I’m aware of is with a certificate that affects P&C, which causes you to have to use the app to charge at EA, which is hit and miss for you. Tell me where I have it wrong.
once again you are commenting about issues I am having, you seem to have no clue about the issues with my car charging at EA chargers. the fact that the AC charging works fine is irrelevant when I am at 10 miles of range at an EA charger that keeps throwing errors and the EA people say that they cannot even see the car on their systems.
the only conclusion is that these failures are related to the plug and charge conflict caused by the 19.2 kw unit in the car causing the malfunctions.
you are not in a position to know what the issues are, please stop commenting on what issues that I am having

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I may be an anomaly but I have the 19.2kW and I also have the plug'n'charge option to check, which has been actually working with EA over the past month.....I don't see any updates, but that is not to say they did not push one OTA???

I have no idea, but wanted to chime in and say that it is not as black and white as it seems....which is really strange. I am taking the 'win' right now, but I did have issues with charging in the beginning.
Sponsored