What happened to the 19.2 KW AC on board charger option ?

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
I think consumers really need to be responsible for understanding these options, but it seems like it’s going to be a long, hard road.
The Plug and Charge was unexpected and there’s nothing your dealer could have done about that ahead of time. I received an email and call from my dealer about the same issue this past weekend.
But matching up kW for chargers and knowing about 50A receptacle limits needs to be on consumers at least as much as it is on dealers.
My dealer originally tried to tell me I had to buy the mobile charger connect if I add the 19.2kW charger. I told him there’s no way Porsche is requiring me to buy a 40A EVSE because I selected an 80A option.
I have the 75A Wall Watts instead.
https://wattzilla.com/products/wall-wattz.htm
How's that working out? You like it?

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7 | Tesla Model 3 | Taycan 4s (MY21)
Country flag
My build freezes tomorrow. My dealer called today to discuss the 19.2kw OBC. He had the facts presented here. I opted to keep the charger because 90% of the time I'll be charging from home and wanted to keep the faster charging capability.

OP
OP

bjinfl

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 impala, going to taycan s - health permitting
Country flag
I am curious - the most common 50 amp plugs in North America are NEMA 14-50 & NEMA 6-50 - do you actually have a. NEMA 10-50 plug (see pic below)?

91PLnDSmk8L.jpg

NEMA 1-50 is a two-hots & ground - 3 blades - and can be easily swapped for a more common NEMA 6-50 plug - Porsche does not provide a NEMA 10-50 cable option for their EVSE - but they do offer either a NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 6-50 supply cable for their EVSE's

although if you do have a NEMA 10-50 a high quality 10-50 to 6-50 adapter from Amazon would be no problem because both plugs are 50 amp rated and the same number of connectors and wires…

anyways it's easier to find NEMA 14-50 & 6-50 EVSE's than 10-50 EVSE's but adapters are easy and cheap.
Oops my error...it appears that my receptacle is a 14-50 (4 blades), which shows what a lousy electrician I am, tho I did the install myself. On a 50 amp breaker.
Porsche Taycan What happened to the 19.2 KW AC on board charger option ? 1615570659808

What should I order, if anything, in the way of the plug/cord thru Porsche?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
_IF_ you are going with the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect - this is my recommended order for a Taycan - NEMA 14-50 supply cable for the PMCC is the "default" if you do not specify anything else…

Porsche Taycan What happened to the 19.2 KW AC on board charger option ? Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 9.42.50 AM

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
For those that are keeping score at home...

Porsche was not willing to commit to fix the car I ordered - which is at the port now waiting for a ship - in any time frame. They are unwilling to swap out the charger to the standard one to regain Plug and Charge. The only option they gave me was start over and order again. The 19.2kW charger is no longer available, and they won’t even guess if/when it will come back. A dire outcome for not placing the proper digital certificate on a device. Had they sent out the bulletin ~two weeks earlier we could have changed the config.

So that’s what I’m doing. I’m taking the opportunity to switch to the Turismo, so at least I get something out of it. My dealer is now doing all the things to try to secure an early allocation for a 4S or a Turbo, including enlisting the help of PCNA. I think they already sold their 4S allocations and the Turbos have not yet been released. I already sold my Tesla, so I’m fairly screwed. I may end up having to rent something. It really sucks. My entry back to Porsche after a 20 year break is off to a rocky start.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe it’s now fully optional - i.e. it is no longer a mandatory $1120 option for a mediocre big heavy and not so mobile J-1772 EVSE that overheats in normal use…

but Porsche keeps changing what they are doing in this space so it’s best to consult with your dealer for your actual order.

my opinion remains while the PMCC is an ok option and it’s not insanely bad - it’s not the best choice and it’s insanely overpriced for what it is…you really will do better with a non-Porsche option in this space - normally Porsche is the best (even if they are expensive) in this case they are only expensive.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe it’s now fully optional - i.e. it is no longer a mandatory $1120 option for a mediocre big heavy and not so mobile J-1772 EVSE that overheats in normal use…

but Porsche keeps changing what they are doing in this space so it’s best to consult with your dealer for your actual order.

my opinion remains while the PMCC is an ok option and it’s not insanely bad - it’s not the best choice and it’s insanely overpriced for what it is…you really will do better with a non-Porsche option in this space - normally Porsche is the best (even if they are expensive) in this case they are only expensive.
There’s a different charger called the Mobile Charger Plus (not the Connect) that’s listed as standard equipment (in the US).
Porsche Taycan What happened to the 19.2 KW AC on board charger option ? 83D33549-E4FE-4BCF-978C-B2FDFEC3574B

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For those that are keeping score at home...

Porsche was not willing to commit to fix the car I ordered - which is at the port now waiting for a ship - in any time frame. They were unwilling to swap out the charger to the standard one to regain Plug and Charge. The only option they gave me was start over and order again. The 19.2kW charger is not available, and they won’t even guess if/when it will come back. A dire outcome for not placing the proper digital certificate on a device. Had they sent out the bulletin ~two weeks earlier we could have changed the config.

So that’s what I’m doing. I’m taking the opportunity to switch to the Turismo, so at least I get something out of it. My dealer is now doing all the things to try to secure an early allocation for a 4S or a Turbo, including enlisting the help of PCNA. I think they already sold their 4S allocations and the Turbos have not yet been released. I already sold my Tesla, so I’m fairly screwed. I may end up having to rent something. It really sucks. My entry back to Porsche after a 20 year break is off to a fairly rocky start.
buy a Model 3 - drive the snot out of it - and then trade it in when you get the Taycan - probably be a wash with a rental or otherwise in terms of actual depreciation - model 3’s hold value pretty well.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There’s a different charger called the Mobile Charger Plus (not the Connect) that’s listed as standard equipment (in the US).
83D33549-E4FE-4BCF-978C-B2FDFEC3574B.jpeg
I’ll stand corrected with regards to this -Porsche keeps changing options, required, and standard in this space i’ve given up trying to keep it all straight - I still think they charge too much - and their chargers aren’t the best - but if it’s included it hard to say buying something else makes sense.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ll stand corrected with regards to this -Porsche keeps changing options, required, and standard in this space i’ve given up trying to keep it all straight - I still think they charge too much - and their chargers aren’t the best - but if it’s included it hard to say buying something else makes sense.
I agree; Porsche wouldn’t be my “go to” for EVSE.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t know if anyone knows and can confirm this, but I assume that adding PMCC replaces the standard Charger Plus.

If that’s the case, then they’re charging $1120 for some extra features...and that’s it.
Sponsored