PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Howdy yall. There was a thread awhile ago discussing what happens if you reach 0% and how much extra battery the car actually has. I couldn't find that thread but I accidentally performed an experiment.

I ran my battery to 0% and until the car stalled and died. Whoops. I was about 8 blocks from home, the car had been on 0% for a few minutes and was giving me all sorts of warnings.. then it stalled and died mid turn.

I sat for about a minute pondering my life decisions and how much it was going to cost to tow my Taycan 8 blocks before I tried turning it on again. Miraculously when I turned it back on I was able to drive it again. I immediately jetted it the remaining 8 blocks home and rolled into my parking spot.

So, things I learned.

There certainly doesn't seem to be any super extra hidden battery at 0%. It got average efficiency before stalling.
There DOES seem to be a mechanism to release a little extra battery if you've stalled out and restart the car. I'm guessing this is giving you a bit of the safeguard range of battery and is probably very bad for your car's health. I made it 8 blocks slightly uphill after the stall.
The system stalling and crashing seems to have fixed the SOS error code I was getting. Sweet.

Morale of the story.. don't expect to get much range at 0%. It's not a fun game to play.
Sponsored

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
remember watching one out of spec video where he turn off the car, and turn it back on @ 0% and says there's a little reserve when doing that to drive the car just a little further. Sounds like that's exactly what you did. Not sure how many times you can do that. Maybe it's just once to get you out of a jam or out of harm's way and parked on the side of the street to wait for tow truck.

-ThinkMac-

zzy45

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Love the part where you just sat there and pondering about your life decisions…can relate, happened to me with an ICE car in an extreme cold day after I dropped the kid off at the daycare, came back to a car that won’t start due to cold battery, pondering why the hell did I turn off the engines.

Somehow it started again while I just gotten connected to the the road side assistance.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I double dare you to see how many times....

nevermind :)

JuTheKi

First Name
Jussi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 2022, RR P400e LWB 2018 "fully loaded"
Country flag
Howdy yall. There was a thread awhile ago discussing what happens if you reach 0% and how much extra battery the car actually has. I couldn't find that thread but I accidentally performed an experiment.

I ran my battery to 0% and until the car stalled and died. Whoops. I was about 8 blocks from home, the car had been on 0% for a few minutes and was giving me all sorts of warnings.. then it stalled and died mid turn.

I sat for about a minute pondering my life decisions and how much it was going to cost to tow my Taycan 8 blocks before I tried turning it on again. Miraculously when I turned it back on I was able to drive it again. I immediately jetted it the remaining 8 blocks home and rolled into my parking spot.

So, things I learned.

There certainly doesn't seem to be any super extra hidden battery at 0%. It got average efficiency before stalling.
There DOES seem to be a mechanism to release a little extra battery if you've stalled out and restart the car. I'm guessing this is giving you a bit of the safeguard range of battery and is probably very bad for your car's health. I made it 8 blocks slightly uphill after the stall.
The system stalling and crashing seems to have fixed the SOS error code I was getting. Sweet.

Morale of the story.. don't expect to get much range at 0%. It's not a fun game to play.
I live in Finland so the blocks must be different ? Is 8 blocks like 3 miles or what?

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I think there are other threads on this. You can do it only once (until you have charged it again) and you can drive about 12 miles at a very slow speed. Maybe 15mph. Something like that I think

OP
OP
PanameraFrank

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I live in Finland so the blocks must be different ? Is 8 blocks like 3 miles or what?
It was about half a mile. Maybe it could have gone further but considering the car bricked midway through a turn I wouldn't recommend any of this. :CWL:
Sponsored