j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
In no particular order, some facts and observations, with a sprinkling of opinions mixed in:
  • I learned that options and their prices vary widely by country. The below is for US Taycans, and, as mentioned in the title, is skewed toward the GTS and specifically a White GTS, though most of the information is more generally applicable as well. Side note: The UK seems to get the best prices, measured by configuring in local currency and then converting to USD.
  • Many trim pieces, including the window surrounds, the rear bumper insert, side skirt inserts, the power charge port cover accent strip, and the mission-e wheel spokes, are GLOSS black on the GTS version, but unless you tick a few boxes, you may be surprised to find some unexpected satin black trim messing up your color scheme.
    • I ordered the "Exterior Mirror Lower Trim in Exterior Color and Base in High Gloss Black" option to turn the mirror base from satin black plastic to gloss. And now that it's gloss, you can PPF it along with the rest of the mirror. The Turbo S gets gloss by default.
    • Similarly, I ordered the "Model designation on rear in gloss black" option. The Turbo S also has this by default.
    • On the GTS, you can't get the "electric logo on front doors" option in gloss black from the factory, but Suncoast will sell them to you! As user tigerbalm pointed out, gloss black is again standard on the Turbo S.
  • If you love the Mision-e prototoype, and order the Mission-e wheels for your white Taycan, be sure to tick the "Wheels painted in exterior color" option, or else they will be silver. Silver versus White wheels look very similar in the configurator, but very different in real life.
  • Locking wheel bolts are now an option, not standard, but they are not expensive. Tick that box on the options list and the adapter you'll receive fits into a dedicated holder in the frunk. Nice.
  • Order the 2+1 rear seat option and you get a fold-down pass through to the trunk, which is nice, but the rear seats change shape and look less like the fronts, you lose the arm rest (user RIngoDingo points out that you still get one), there is an extra seatbelt cluttering up the look (which stays standard color even if you order contrasting color seatbelts) and you also get another headrest blocking more of the extremely tiny rear window - though I heard second-hand that you can fold down the headrest if you want. Oh, and only a tiny child could ever sit in that middle seat. Owners with small children and/or avid skiers with no second car may strongly object, but I did not go with the 2+1 option for mostly cosmetic reasons.
  • Order "interior accents in dark silver" if you want to match the look of the Turbo S. It looks really nice in my opinion.
  • If you don't order the "Advanced 4-Zone Climate Control" option, you get a pretty plain rear control panel instead of the cool rear touchscreen. But as the driver you'll never notice. On the other hand, without the 4-zone option it seems you lose the ability to set the front foot well temperature that is different than the overall temperature, which is a loss.
  • The "Storage Package" is useful and (for Porsche) not too expensive. I dig the fold-down grocery bag hook in the trunk.
  • You ordered "Surround View" by ordering the Premium Package, of course, but did you also order "Remote ParkAssist incl. Lane Change Assist LCA)" to get 3D Surround View? And what does the "3D" part get you? I don't fully know since I didn't order that option. It seems Porsche disabled the ability to spin around the camera views unless you spend $1,600 on a different package. The camera hardware for 3D seems to be no different, so it's software only. Frowny face. But there is a company in Germany that sells a software update via a dongle that purports give you back this feature for 300 euros.
  • The smokers package is free, so why not get it. It's removable.
  • The "Bordeaux Red" seatbelts look great - and are far more muted than they appear in the configurator. Chalk would probably also look very nice on a white car, for those with exceptionally clean hands. Dear Porsche: Why no Guards Red option?
  • The "Power charge port cover" blocks the vent behind the front wheels. This does two things: 1) slightly increases drag and 2) prevents dirt and rocks from flying down the side of the car. Take your pick.
  • Yes, you do get a simple mobile charger "for free". Do not buy the $1,100 "mobile charge connect" upgrade. Instead, get an even better third-party EVSE for your home for half the price, and keep the included mobile charger in the trunk for travel.
  • The taycan can charge at 11kw all day, in spite of the official US specifications saying 9.6KW max. So when you do buy a home EVSE, spend a little extra to get a 48A (11KW) hardwired one on a 60A circuit if you can. As user whitex pointed out, you can also spend $1,680 to upgrade the Taycan guts to 19.2kw charging, after which you'll also need a 19.2kw home EVSE at around $2,200, a new 100A circuit that could cost you $400-$2,000 more than a 60A one, and quite possibly a $5-10K new electrical service and panel since 100A is a good percentage of the standard 200A feed to a home. 19.2kw is more than 11kw, of course, but it's a rather expensive +8kw and almost nobody needs to charge that quickly at home.
  • As user Fall7St8nd pointed out, it is a good idea to tick the "On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger" for $460, and I did so. The Taycan is an 800V system, but there are lots of 400V Tesla chargers out there, and without this rather inexpensive option you are capped at 50kW. This will really matter if/when Tesla opens up their Supercharger network in the US to non-Tesla vehicles in order to be eligible for federal subsidies.
  • "Porsche intelligent range manager" is software, is available after purchase, can be trialed, and can be discounted from time to time. So consider trying it later instead of ordering it on your car.
  • The GTS gets a fantastic Alcantara / Race-tex headliner standard. It's a big upgrade from the standard Taycan cloth. You may consider turning the b-pillars into Race-text as well, but it's not really necessary.
  • If you do not order the "Adaptive Cruise Control" (ACC) then you don't get the ugly bubble camera in the front bumper, and you can't really upgrade later for any reasoable price. If you do order ACC, then I hear that you can upgrade to "InnoDrive" via software. This is all well and good, but the Taycan is never going to drive itself, and I didn't buy a Porsche because I wanted the car to be less engaging, so I skipped ACC entirely and will not miss it. And with no front bubble camera, I assume I'll never have to pay $1,200 for a camera "calibration" after a front-end alignment. Or so I hear. Others have strong opinions in the other direction, saying that ACC is a must-have option and is good for resale.
  • The heads-up display adds a rather ugly bump to the dashboard. I skipped it for that reason. I would have loved to have heads-up if it was better integrated into the design.
  • For $130 you can get the "Preparation for Porsche Dashcam (Front and Rear)" option, just in case you want to add your own camera later. Saves having to run wires and tap into the fusebox. By the way, third-party dash cams seem like a better option than the Porsche version.
  • The Taycan is a LONG car. But add rear axle steering (RAS) and it becomes incredibly agile around town, with a turing radius identical to a 992 sans RAS. I recommend it.
  • Should you order the "Porsche Surface Coated Brakes (PSCB) with Calipers in White" option? You almost certainly don't need better brakes given the incredible regen on the Taycan, and they sure are expensive. But the white calipers look very sharp on a white Taycan, and they produce very little dust - brake dust is my nemesis. And if you look at the cost over 80K miles, they might just pay for themselves given that they seem to last much longer under normal use conditions. Oh, and they are required if you get the mission-e wheels, and I belive you cannot use 19" winter wheels if you have them.
  • There are two different "Whites" available - standard and Carrara. The standard is non-metallic and a bit yellow-warm. The Carrara white has an extremely subtle metallic flake and is more neutral. When looking at the color chips, I preferred the warmth of the standard white. But when faced with two cars side-by-side outdoors, the Carrara white was the hands-down winner. To my eye, the "warmness" of the plain white made the Taycan look a bit dull, and a bit old fashioned. You can't easily see the metallic flake in the Carrara white, but it does contribute to the overall visual effect in a subtle way. In the end, your choice will be a personal one, but I highly encourage you to make that choice by looking at cars, not color chips.
Everything above assumes, as mentioned, that you are firmly in the Mission-e camp. If you instead you go for the GTS version of the RS Spyder rims, which are satin black, be sure to go satin wherever you can to coordinate.

Oh, and yes I know it's carrAra white, not carrEra - but I type it correctly only about half the time anyway.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
    • You can't get the "electric logo on front doors" option in gloss black from the factory, but Suncoast will sell them to you!
Unless you pick Turbo S where gloss black is standard.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
  • The taycan can charge at 11kw all day, in spite of the official US specifications saying 9.6KW max. So when you do buy a home EVSE, go for a 48A hardwired one if you can.
Unless you order the 19.2KW upgrade, then it can charge at 19.2KW all day when connected to an 80A hardwired EVSE, but will charge at slower EVSEs no problem.

Fall7St8nd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You've very well summarized months of my reading the great info on this forum and reaching similar conclusions. Thanks!

I've just ordered a 4S Chalk and would add...
  • I've got Mission E wheels selected, but skipped "Wheels painted in exterior color." This option looks incredible for a white car... I'm not as convinced with chalk, based on pictures.
  • I've checked and unchecked "Interior accents in dark silver" countless times... and left it unchecked currently (but thinking about checking it again before my lock date)
  • Contrasting "Bordeaux Red" belts to complement my black leather interior selection? See the check/uncheck reference above. :)
  • Definitely added the "power charge port cover" because of posts related to dirt/rocks down the side of the car. Mission E wheels are already reducing efficiency... let's just keep it going.
  • Skipped "Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)"... this will be my daily driver with a shorter commute. I also don't like the look of the bubble camera up front as much. And If I wanted to focus on self-driving tech, I would've more seriously considered Tesla.
  • "Onboard 150 kW/400V DC Charger" has been selected. While I have a shorter commute, if Tesla does open their fast-charging stations... I like more (working) stations to choose from (looking at you EA) and don't want to be limited to 50kW... if needed.
  • I've selected "Preparation for Porsche Dash Cam" as a $130 experiment. Only a front-facing camera from Porsche currently available. When will a rear camera be available? How much installation labor does it really save? Looking forward to the forum updates on this option.
  • "Sport Chrono" selected purely based on convenience of the dial and additional individual mode setting.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
  • Definitely added the "power charge port cover" because of posts related to dirt/rocks down the side of the car. Mission E wheels are already reducing efficiency... let's just keep it going.
Don't half-ass the job then, add a roofbox and the rear bike carrier! ;)

• I've selected "Preparation for Porsche Dash Cam" as a $130 experiment. Only a front-facing camera from Porsche currently available. When will a rear camera be available? How much installation labor does it really save? Looking forward to the forum updates on this option.
I read around here somewhere that for dual dashcam you just order two singles, but I have not seen any confirmation. I have the preparation checked on my car, but do not plan to use the Porsche dashcams primarily because installing them disables wireless Apple Car Play. Will probably end up installing Blackvue 2ch 4K set.

OP
OP

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

PLEASE Porsche make a rear bike carrier that works with the Taycan Sedan - or rather a mod to the Taycan that can accept the existing Taycan bike carrier. I'll even pay your insane prices for it. I suspect that the required mounting locations are already there, hiding behind the rear bumper plastics.

Last edited:

Fall7St8nd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S
Country flag

I read around here somewhere that for dual dashcam you just order two singles, but I have not seen any confirmation. I have the preparation checked on my car, but do not plan to use the Porsche dashcams primarily because installing them disables wireless Apple Car Play. Will probably end up installing Blackvue 2ch 4K set.
I read something similar about disabling wireless Apple Car Play for the Porsche dashcams… but was that all the time? Or only when you want to view a replay recording through the Porsche dashcam app? Again, more to learn.

I like the look of the Blackvue setup much better (particularly to avoid buying another large looking Porsche dashcam for the rear!) … so please create a thread on your experience when complete.

Now time to buy that bike carrier, roof box… and snow chains!! 😆

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
I read something similar about disabling wireless Apple Car Play for the Porsche dashcams… but was that all the time? Or only when you want to view a replay recording through the Porsche dashcam app? Again, more to learn.

I like the look of the Blackvue setup much better (particularly to avoid buying another large looking Porsche dashcam for the rear!) … so please create a thread on your experience when complete.

Now time to buy that bike carrier, roof box… and snow chains!! 😆
The Suncoast product description says CarPlay is lost “while using” the dash cam. I interpret that as while it is operating, not just reviewing footage but I don’t have a source to back that up. I’m going to go with a FitCamX because of the OEM look and no invasive wiring (even though that’s minimal with BV) beyond running the rear cam cable.

Mookow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan GTS
Country flag
The Suncoast product description says CarPlay is lost “while using” the dash cam. I interpret that as while it is operating, not just reviewing footage but I don’t have a source to back that up. I’m going to go with a FitCamX because of the OEM look and no invasive wiring (even though that’s minimal with BV) beyond running the rear cam cable.
I think it's when you load the app on your iPhone to view footage, it connects to the camera via WiFi, so CarPlay disconnects. Once you close that connection, you can reconnect to PCM for CarPlay.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think it's when you load the app on your iPhone to view footage, it connects to the camera via WiFi, so CarPlay disconnects. Once you close that connection, you can reconnect to PCM for CarPlay.
Have you actually tried it yourself, or just speculating? As I understood it, the dashcams communicate with the PCM all the time to get things like parked/driving/impact/alarm status and other information.

Another way to check whether those are independent, see if you can connect an iPhone via wireless CarPlay while another device (iPad for example, or an Android device) is connected to the dashcam, see if that works (it should if your theory is correct).

Mookow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Have you actually tried it yourself, or just speculating? As I understood it, the dashcams communicate with the PCM all the time to get things like parked/driving/impact/alarm status and other information.

Another way to check whether those are independent, see if you can connect an iPhone via wireless CarPlay while another device (iPad for example, or an Android device) is connected to the dashcam, see if that works (it should if your theory is correct).
You connect to the camera via Wi-Fi to view footage. You use Wi-Fi to connect to the car for CarPlay. You can’t be on 2 Wi-Fi networks at once. This exact set up is how it works with other cameras, so while I don’t have the Porsche one, I can pretty much assume it’s the same.

GAMEISRIGGED

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan GTS
Country flag
In no particular order, some facts and observations, with a sprinkling of opinions mixed in:
  • The Taycan is a LONG car. But add rear axle steering and it becomes incredibly agile around town. I recommend it.
Any noticeable difference in parking garage? Considering trading in my Macan GTS and order a Taycan GTS ST; the length difference is only 9.3"

Also how did you get the newer configurator for Taycan GTS? I saw someone posted a link of the updated configurator for Taycan Turbo [US] on forum but looking for Taycan GTS ST configurator specifically.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm pretty sure you still have the armrest in the 2+1. I have it as it's more than usable for short trips where my 10 year old is comfortable. Wouldn't rely on it for road trips, but helpful to have in a pinch. For me it's the difference between a car I can use this weekend while my wife is away and a car I could not drive. But for those with 1 or 2 kids or no kids, I agree it's totally optional.

Also, I think the silver on the Mission E wheels look good with the white car. I prefer it to the white on white, which can be a bit matchy-matchy for my taste (but fair to point out to those who might not otherwise be aware).

OP
OP

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Any noticeable difference in parking garage? Considering trading in my Macan GTS and order a Taycan GTS ST; the length difference is only 9.3"
Yes, definitely. Any low speed turning benefits significantly from rear-wheel steering. It's not as dramatic as say a Mercedes EQS, but definitely noticeable and beneficial.

I read that the Macan GTS turning circle is 19.6ft (sorry about the units Europe) which is very similar to the normal Taycan GTS ST, while a GTS ST with RWS is even better at 18.4ft. 1.2 feet of difference isn't enormous, but in practice it "feels" like a real difference. That said, I believe that the Taycan is wider than the Macan, which means something in a tight parking garage.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You connect to the camera via Wi-Fi to view footage. You use Wi-Fi to connect to the car for CarPlay. You can’t be on 2 Wi-Fi networks at once. This exact set up is how it works with other cameras, so while I don’t have the Porsche one, I can pretty much assume it’s the same.
I don't think you read my question. You CAN be on 2 WiFi's if you have two devices. To make it more clear, can you connect your phone to Porsche wireless CarPlay while your friend connects their phone to view the Porsche camera footage?

The question is whether the camera uses WiFi to talk to the PCM to get things like car status, alarm, g-sensor, etc.
Sponsored