what is the best at home charger for a Taycan?

dwaltchack

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor, ordered TCT Turbo
Country flag
I've heard good things about Juice Box. I'm curious if I should just stick w the Porsche charger or use a different one. Any feedback?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I've heard good things about Juice Box. I'm curious if I should just stick w the Porsche charger or use a different one. Any feedback?
There is nothing wrong with the standard (free) charger Porsche Mobile Charger Plus PMC) that you get with the car or if you have paid extra for the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC).

Both work well and are feature matched to the car - do not spend money on others as there is really no need.

PMC+ is good for single phase (7.4kW) charging as it has a max charge of 9.6kW. PMCC is good for single phase (7.4kW) or double phase (11kW and up to 22kW) and is rated up to 22kW.

More kW charging then the faster - so 22kW AC is the max for home use on a 3 phase supply with PMCC providing you have the 22kW AC onboard charger installed in your car (3 phase supply holds true for 11kW home charging).

Single phase is more than enough for home charging / top-ups and can be configured to take advantage of your off-peak tarriff.

What you must do is have a qualified electrician install a dedicated 32A supply from your existing fuse box terminating in the correct outlet for your charger (i.e. do not use the 3 pin 13A connector) to ensure you get the max kW charge available.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
The answer to this question depends on many factors about what you would like. What is the max charge rate you think you need? What features if any?

There are options from a box on the wall with no display and control (less things can go wrong), to remote controlled, multi scheduled monitored fancy devices, including the Porsche branded monster (no I do not like the Porsche EVSE if that's not clear).

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
There is nothing wrong with the standard (free) charger Porsche Mobile Charger Plus PMC) that you get with the car or if you have paid extra for the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC).

Both work well and are feature matched to the car - do not spend money on others as there is really no need.

PMC+ is good for single phase (7.4kW) charging as it has a max charge of 9.6kW. PMCC is good for single phase (7.4kW) or double phase (11kW and up to 22kW) and is rated up to 22kW.

More kW charging then the faster - so 22kW AC is the max for home use on a 3 phase supply with PMCC providing you have the 22kW AC onboard charger installed in your car (3 phase supply holds true for 11kW home charging).

Single phase is more than enough for home charging / top-ups and can be configured to take advantage of your off-peak tarriff.

What you must do is have a qualified electrician install a dedicated 32A supply from your existing fuse box terminating in the correct outlet for your charger (i.e. do not use the 3 pin 13A connector) to ensure you get the max kW charge available.
not in north america…

OP
OP

dwaltchack

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor, ordered TCT Turbo
Country flag
The answer to this question depends on many factors about what you would like. What is the max charge rate you think you need? What features if any?

There are options from a box on the wall with no display and control (less things can go wrong), to remote controlled, multi scheduled monitored fancy devices, including the Porsche branded monster (no I do not like the Porsche EVSE if that's not clear).
I'll have a 50 AMP circuit for whatever I buy. I just want it to work well and reliably. A wifi interface would be nice. and I live in the US.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I’m utilizing Porsche charger on my existing 60amp circuit with 14-50 plug.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
not in north america…
Good catch. I saw the flag and thought it was UK!

Correct - my advice was for UK consumption.

Chargers and electrical supply are of course different in US.

Basic point of "there's nothing wrong with either PMC or PMCC as a charger" still holds but the capability of PMCC is not 22kW but is headed towards 19.6kW at some point.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I'll have a 50 AMP circuit for whatever I buy. I just want it to work well and reliably. A wifi interface would be nice. and I live in the US.
Standard PMC+ works fine for just charging on a 50A receptacle.
But it doesn’t have WiFi. If you want extra features, I would look elsewhere. Porsche charges too much for PMCC.

I have an 18kW Wattzilla Wall Wattz. No extra features.

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
AC chargers are not chargers. The charger is in the car. These boxes simply provide power to the car and provide some metrics or connectivity with mobile apps.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
AC chargers are not chargers. The charger is in the car. These boxes simply provide power to the car and provide some metrics or connectivity with mobile apps.
Porsche calls their “not chargers” chargers.

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Porsche calls their “not chargers” chargers.

I guess my point is you could technically stick two wires into a wall socket and stick the other end into the holes in the plug of the car and the car would start charging without a "charger". Obviously there are saftey features that would prevent that from happening like a signal line.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess my point is you could technically stick two wires into a wall socket and stick the other end into the holes in the plug of the car and the car would start charging without a "charger". Obviously there are saftey features that would prevent that from happening like a signal line.
I call the cable between my phone and the wall a “charger” too.
Sponsored