what is the best at home charger for a Taycan?

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
@Ymt400 @911GP thanks for the advice. I spoke with my installer and Elecology, and they said the EO Mini Pro 2 is more than good enough. I don’t need to use the app (except for firmware updates), as I can do the scheduling through the car.
Sponsored

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Factoring in a Type 2 32A 10 meter charge cable at £160 for the EO, the difference between Andersen and EO is £223, which isn’t that much in the grand scheme of things if the Andersen is better.

I figured going with untethered in case the cable develops a fault, it’s cheaper and easier to switch an untethered cable than a tethered one: no electrician required to perform the switch.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I installed a Wallbox Pulsar Plus Level 2 charger connected to a NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50A circuit, charging up to 9.6 kw speed
Porsche Taycan what is the best at home charger for a Taycan? PSX_20210425_141037

Max Attack

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4
Country flag
I'm looking for solutions to have 2 charging ports, in order to charge 2 EV:s at the same time, but with a load balancing. I have 3-phase mains with 25A breakers each (Finland, 230V), which won't allow 22 kW charging on one car, nor simultaneously 2 cars with 11 kW each either. But I could theoretically do 18 kW to one car, and with load balancing have 2 cars charging 9 kW each at the same time.

I figure 22 kW option on the on board charger won't be that useful, so for the CT I've opted for the Euro spec standard 11 kW.

Asking around, there doesn't seem to be many home charger options to fit the need for load balancing in the 11 kW (solo) and up from at least 5 kW each (dual) charging. But this one provider Innohome, suprisingly or unsurprisingly from Finland, came up that seems to have just that: https://innohome.com/products/charlie/

So this Charlie seems to be the best way to go for 2 cars. Not a bad name either. Finnish electric stuff have excellent reputation in general too, no complaint from a local there. But just to make sure, does someone know of other Euro solutions for 2 cars balancing? Again, given that the house has Euro 3-phase mains with 25A each. Charlie all the way?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I'm looking for solutions to have 2 charging ports, in order to charge 2 EV:s at the same time, but with a load balancing. I have 3-phase mains with 25A breakers each (Finland, 230V), which won't allow 22 kW charging on one car, nor simultaneously 2 cars with 11 kW each either. But I could theoretically do 18 kW to one car, and with load balancing have 2 cars charging 9 kW each at the same time.

I figure 22 kW option on the on board charger won't be that useful, so for the CT I've opted for the Euro spec standard 11 kW.

Asking around, there doesn't seem to be many home charger options to fit the need for load balancing in the 11 kW (solo) and up from at least 5 kW each (dual) charging. But this one provider Innohome, suprisingly or unsurprisingly from Finland, came up that seems to have just that: https://innohome.com/products/charlie/

So this Charlie seems to be the best way to go for 2 cars. Not a bad name either. Finnish electric stuff have excellent reputation in general too, no complaint from a local there. But just to make sure, does someone know of other Euro solutions for 2 cars balancing? Again, given that the house has Euro 3-phase mains with 25A each. Charlie all the way?
There are a few other systems available. I think ABB have a few load balancing models.

here is one link to a supplier, but I have no experience about them. Found this on the net.

https://chargingshop.eu/product/abb-terra-ac-22-kw-type-2-socket-with-rfid/

911GP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Volcano Grey
Country flag

Take a look at this one which does load balancing. You can have up to 3 units connected.

https://easee.com/uk/home-charging/

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I installed a Wallbox Pulsar Plus Level 2 charger connected to a NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50A circuit, charging up to 9.6 kw speed
Nice. That's the unit I'm buying if I ever feel the need to change from the charger supplied with the car. I have a 14-50 - 60A circuit.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Nice. That's the unit I'm buying if I ever feel the need to change from the charger supplied with the car. I have a 14-50 - 60A circuit.
I went this route because I didn't want to get the bulky mobile connect charger with my car (sticking with the smaller standard mobile charging cable) and everything I read about programming charging schedules on the Taycan is kind of a convulted mess configuring the charging profiles.

Programming charge times and even throttling down charging speeds via the Wallbox app is super easy.

Porsche Taycan what is the best at home charger for a Taycan? received_319146979574738

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan 4S, Audi e-tron, Chrysler Town&Country
Country flag
This is the charger for my wife’s Etron.

Porsche Taycan what is the best at home charger for a Taycan? B1ECD029-0E1D-4858-A841-543438590763

This is what I have for my Taycan.

Porsche Taycan what is the best at home charger for a Taycan? F7AE4FAD-C36D-4BE6-BBBE-F783A8417498

Porsche Taycan what is the best at home charger for a Taycan? C1400815-619B-44F0-9F78-B0BECF4B8899

Decided to go with the highest rated “smart” charger (Chargepoint) and the highest rated ”dumb” charger per Inside EVs reviews. So far both have been flawless.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
This is the charger for my wife’s Etron.

B1ECD029-0E1D-4858-A841-543438590763.jpeg

This is what I have for my Taycan.

F7AE4FAD-C36D-4BE6-BBBE-F783A8417498.jpeg

C1400815-619B-44F0-9F78-B0BECF4B8899.jpeg

Decided to go with the highest rated “smart” charger (Chargepoint) and the highest rated ”dumb” charger per Inside EVs reviews. So far both have been flawless.
I watched a video where a guy in a truck runs over the Grizzle to demonstrate the strength of housing! I think it is Canadian made too. Good choice!

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan 4S, Audi e-tron, Chrysler Town&Country
Country flag
I watched a video where a guy in a truck runs over the Grizzle to demonstrate the strength of housing! I think it is Canadian made too. Good choice!
Yep. I wanted a little more rugged charger for the wife’s car. It is in a detached unheated garage.
Sponsored