What is the maximum amperage of the Porsche home charger?

Mtljckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT, BMW i3s, X5, 540i
Country flag
Whenever we connect the Porsche home charger to our cars, its screen will tell you the speed you are charging vs the total available. Mine shows 16A (car is standard, so this is the equivalent of 11KW on 3 phases) / 32A (I assume this is the maximum of the charger).
I have a 3 phase connection with 64A breaks. Is the 32A on the homecharger the maximum it can detect as available (ie the car's extra option is 22kW so 32A) or does it detect the electricity company giving only 32A (despite of having 64A breaks)? I don't know if that's even possible (for them to deliver less power than the breaks).
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Single phase dedicated supply from fuse box. Always 32A to max out my single phase @ 7.4kW and barely stroke my PMCC.

OP
OP
Mtljckt

Mtljckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So it shows 32A/32A for you, correct?

Anyone seeing xxA /64A or more with the standard car on-board charger?

OP
OP
Mtljckt

Mtljckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OK, so anyone else seeing more than 32A as max potential on their home charger?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Whenever we connect the Porsche home charger to our cars, its screen will tell you the speed you are charging vs the total available. Mine shows 16A (car is standard, so this is the equivalent of 11KW on 3 phases) / 32A (I assume this is the maximum of the charger).
I have a 3 phase connection with 64A breaks. Is the 32A on the homecharger the maximum it can detect as available (ie the car's extra option is 22kW so 32A) or does it detect the electricity company giving only 32A (despite of having 64A breaks)? I don't know if that's even possible (for them to deliver less power than the breaks).
The indication of amps on the PMCC is dependent on the cable connecting the car to the PMCC, as well as the cable connecting from the outlet plug to the PMCC. Depending of the plug on the lead there seems to be some wiring or settings in the connector between the cable and the PMCC

If you have a CEE 3 phase 32 amp cable inlet, That is the maximum the PMCC will deliver. And it does not matter if you have a 64 amp breaker or a 200 amp breaker in the circuit. There is zero communication between the PMCC and the breaker. The breaker is only a protection device to not deliver more amps than the circuit, wiring can take. If you only want to draw 1 amp from that breaker, that is what will be drawn.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So it shows 32A/32A for you, correct?

Anyone seeing xxA /64A or more with the standard car on-board charger?
On the PMCC you can use a slider to set an amp draw between 6 amp and 32 amps. At 3 phase

OP
OP
Mtljckt

Mtljckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting, so you mean that the cable will filter whatever comes in and the maximum is 32A. That makes sense if the cable is different for the 22kw on board charger.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting, so you mean that the cable will filter whatever comes in and the maximum is 32A. That makes sense if the cable is different for the 22kw on board charger.
No the cable will not filter anything, but the rating of the cable, which is programmed in the connector to the PMCC. The amp will be decided by the item that is connected at the end of the cable. If there is a 1 kw heater it will draw about 4 amps on a single phase 240 volt line. If you have a 22 kW heater on a 3 phase connection it will draw a maximum of 32 amps.

However the two cables, in to the PMCC and out from the PMCC to the car, can have different ratings as well.

Look at @tigerbalm and his travel kit. Lots of different cables with different plugs.
Sponsored