Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Clever antenna engineering...

Now if they only used that same clever engineer to help them make a center arm rest that stayed open and doesn't slam shut on it's own. It maxes out at a 75% angle that causes you to either hold it open with the other hand or awkwardly use your elbow wile you reach for you phone or it slams shut on its own. Drives me nuts.
Lol! So true!
Sponsored

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Clever antenna engineering...

Now if they only used that same clever engineer to help them make a center arm rest that stayed open and doesn't slam shut on it's own. It maxes out at a 75% angle that causes you to either hold it open with the other hand or awkwardly use your elbow wile you reach for you phone or it slams shut on its own. Drives me nuts.
Yeah, but it DRIVES like a Porsche!

(Sorry!)

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'ld be willing to bet your calendar is coming in over Bluetooth. ...just like Phone Messages, Phone Audio, Contacts, etc...
I connected my calendar using Microsoft Office 365 so it syncs with the car's LTE connection and does not need the phone. But it doesn't cache so it takes forever to load and then there isn't much I can do with it. I haven't figured out how to ask porsche assistant what my next meeting is or where it is for navigation. Both things siri can do once I plugged in CarPlay. In the USA we don't get Hotspot data for devices over the car's LTE connection. Pretty much a dead feature for now.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
No it does not connect and sync over Bluetooth. Once I turn off the WiFi in the phone the calendar disappears from the PCM! . Blue
OK, I'll bite? Why do you think your calendar is coming in over the WiFi HotSpot and NOT Bluetooth?
I connected to the hotspot in the car and lost all connection via LTE so could not see anything in the connect app. As soon as I turned off the WiFi on the phone, my calendar disappeared. I will try it again tomorrow and make a few screen shots. As I said it might work if you also pay for that data package.?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I connected my calendar using Microsoft Office 365 so it syncs with the car's LTE connection and does not need the phone. But it doesn't cache so it takes forever to load and then there isn't much I can do with it. I haven't figured out how to ask porsche assistant what my next meeting is or where it is for navigation. Both things siri can do once I plugged in CarPlay. In the USA we don't get Hotspot data for devices over the car's LTE connection. Pretty much a dead feature for now.
Yes I have seen that both the Microsoft and Google calendar seem to synchronise with the car, but I do not have any of that.

Dead feature yes. The navigation is not much use either. And the charging planner is outright useless.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No it does not connect and sync over Bluetooth. Once I turn off the WiFi in the phone the calendar disappears from the PCM! . Blue

I connected to the hotspot in the car and lost all connection via LTE so could not see anything in the connect app. As soon as I turned off the WiFi on the phone, my calendar disappeared. I will try it again tomorrow and make a few screen shots. As I said it might work if you also pay for that data package.?
This is very interesting...

We (in the USA) don't have an option for a Data Package (yet).

Your testing is going to deliver different results in any case because, when we connect to the HotSpot, we effectively lose all Internet Connectivity to our phones. When you connect, you just switch where you're getting your Internet Connectivity from...

Can you confirm you still get PCM Text Messages, Contacts, Phone Dialing, Music, etc from your phone when connected ONLY via Bluetooth? Its only the calendar that appears to become available with the HotSpot? ...are you sure its not just a difference in cellular coverage between your phone vs PCM LTE?

I don't use IOS. CarPlay is being delivered via the USB connection, right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes I have seen that both the Microsoft and Google calendar seem to synchronise with the car, but I do not have any of that.

Dead feature yes. The navigation is not much use either. And the charging planner is outright useless.
I also have the PIRM. I guess I need to plan a virtual trip to see it in (in)action...

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I'm wondering how many people are having this exact problem and then reporting:

- They can't get Internet Reception on their phone while inside the "thermally and acoustically insulated glass". Blaming the loss of reception on the glass...

- Inability to log onto Porsche Connect or Charging NA cause their phone has locked onto a "dead" hotspot. Its hard enough to get logged into the Porsche Connect App even when you DO have Internet access...
Yes, that makes sense.

My Porsche dealer installed a forward car cam, which sits perfectly under the rear mirror. It is very good and very useful and I always wanted to have that, but it also has a dead end WiFi hot spot.

Once I switch off the WiFi on my phone, I have good connection inside the car. But I only have the car for a week, need more testing...

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is very interesting...

We (in the USA) don't have an option for a Data Package (yet).

Your testing is going to deliver different results in any case because, when we connect to the HotSpot, we effectively lose all Internet Connectivity to our phones. When you connect, you just switch where you're getting your Internet Connectivity from...

Can you confirm you still get PCM Text Messages, Contacts, Phone Dialing, Music, etc from your phone when connected ONLY via Bluetooth? Its only the calendar that appears to become available with the HotSpot? ...are you sure its not just a difference in cellular coverage between your phone vs PCM LTE?

I don't use IOS. CarPlay is being delivered via the USB connection, right?
Now I have tested a few things, and I am quite confused about how this is intended to be used and set up

There is the option here to get the data package, which I have NOT subscribed to.

Porsche Taycan What is the PCM HotSpot for anyway? 7E5C3E25-3D50-43EE-A8AD-F60916269FC4

Here is what I discovered.
Phone is not connected via Bluetooth or WiFi
The car is connected via LTE and I can play Apple Music or internet radio and I was actually playing a US radio station. But OMG how much I had to swipe to get to the USA stations.

If I go into Calendar in PCM I am asked if I want to synchronise my calendar,
Google Calendar, Office 365 or Smartphone. I do not have the first two calendars, only Apple iCal. So I need to do it with my Smartphone.
Porsche Taycan What is the PCM HotSpot for anyway? DB43156B-51DE-4C03-9EA4-5EF100548946
Porsche Taycan What is the PCM HotSpot for anyway? DB43156B-51DE-4C03-9EA4-5EF100548946

That brings me to the display showing Link smartphone calendar and shows the QR code.
Porsche Taycan What is the PCM HotSpot for anyway? 45642663-929F-4C07-B153-2BB1D095044F

Trying to scan this via the Connect App is a dead end. Opening the camera app it will ask if I would like to join the Taycan WiFi.

Once joined on the hotspot the calendar syncs fine and I can see entries per week and click on them to see the details
Porsche Taycan What is the PCM HotSpot for anyway? 569F153A-81CD-4695-8361-C98C29316E44

As you can see on the screen I can now transfer this to the navigation system and get the guidance.

Bluetooth was OFF so the phone obviously does not work in the car. Switching Bluetooth back on phone works and is still connected via WiFi to the car.

I can also play my music via Bluetooth, but only music stored on the phone. I can not stream from any streaming service since I have no internet connection in my phone! Also if I want to use Waze or Google Maps for direction or Waze for warning about speed checks or other trouble along my route it will not work.
When I plug in the phone to use Apple CarPlay and perhaps play music it can not connect to the internet.
Porsche Taycan What is the PCM HotSpot for anyway? 33E1FB55-800E-44E3-A357-4F1F30510CF1

S
Porsche Taycan What is the PCM HotSpot for anyway? 1902BF9F-D556-4DD5-90DB-F4BF9102E693

Switching the WiFi OFF then Apple ~CarPlay etc all works fine, but now Calendar is no longer working.

Once the car and phone are linked via WiFi all internet connections from the phone is dead.

WHY have Porsche linked the iPhone calendar via WiFi, and not Bluetooth?

And once you are using Apple CarPlay the lower display can no longer be used for scrolling etc. You will need to use the main display and the screen from CarPlay. Which feels a bit clumsy but that might be how Apple CarPlay is designed to take over the screen completely.

I will just forget that the cars WiFi is there until Porsche have sorted this out. It really is of no use whatsoever.

If someone else has found a way to make these things work, please share your set up.

I normally like to have all the appointments with addresses etc in my Calendar, where apointments can be entered invitations from my family etc. But need to find new ways for Taycan, which seems such a waste of time, when it works with other cars etc.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
2020-08-28_19.27.06.jpg

My phone connects to it when I want to send charge profiles/nav routes to the car when I'm at home.
It works most of the time.
I guess "Geen verbinding" is your home WiFi?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I guess "Geen verbinding" is your home WiFi?
You can't connect to a home WiFi, it's the WiFi spot of the car.
It says "geen verbinding" which means "no connection" but in reality it's sleeping and doesn't show the name of the hotspot (which is "mothership" btw).
Still, there is a connection.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
There is the option here to get the data package, which I have NOT subscribed to.

Once the car and phone are linked via WiFi all internet connections from the phone is dead.
19 Euros for what exactly? Just data on the built-in LTE connection?

WHY have Porsche linked the iPhone calendar via WiFi, and not Bluetooth?
Data transfer speed and reliability as well as maybe the need to sell WiFi packages.

I will just forget that the cars WiFi is there until Porsche have sorted this out. It really is of no use whatsoever.
I think you figured it out, what it is used for. If you want tight integration of your phone with the car, then you need the WiFi connection from your phone to the car, which in turn forced you to have a working hotspot with internet connection, so that the phone also has data.

If someone else has found a way to make these things work, please share your set up.
I have Porsche Connect service in China opening tickets. No connection to the Porsche Server.

Well at least there are some details about Porsche Connect to see if all the trouble is worth it.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Clients connect to hotspots to get service (not the opposite). The hotspot is for your phone to get "something" from your car.
Once a WiFi connection is established it is like a network cable is plugged in. Anyone connected can now act as a server or a client or both. So the car could open a connection to your running app on the phone. The phone would act as a server and deliver data to the car or relay information from Porsche Server.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
You can't connect to a home WiFi, it's the WiFi spot of the car.
It says "geen verbinding" which means "no connection" but in reality it's sleeping and doesn't show the name of the hotspot (which is "mothership" btw).
Still, there is a connection.
Ah, how did I miss the "Keine Verbindung"?

My app on my phone shows any WiFi hotspot name I am connected to.
Sponsored