What level are you? Post your garage charging plans or what you've done

What EV level are you?

• Level 4 - I don't use my electric water heater any more - so I'll use it's plug for my EV

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Is there an option for using a Tesla Wall charger? It gives 22kw I think (with the optional 22kw on board charger).
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Is there an option for using a Tesla Wall charger? It gives 22kw I think (with the optional 22kw on board charger).
Doesn't the EU Tesla charger use J1772 type 2 already?

In the USA you can get an adapter (e.g. TeslaTapm but there are others), or just convert your Tesla charger with a J1772 cable (requires being comfortable with some wiring, or pay someone to do it). Personally I am converting one of my 80A Tesla chargers since it load balances with another Tesla which will remain in the garage for now after Taycan gets delivered (the Taycan is replacing one Tesla).

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Doesn't the EU Tesla charger use J1772 type 2 already?

In the USA you can get an adapter (e.g. TeslaTapm but there are others), or just convert your Tesla charger with a J1772 cable (requires being comfortable with some wiring, or pay someone to do it). Personally I am converting one of my 80A Tesla chargers since it load balances with another Tesla which will remain in the garage for now after Taycan gets delivered (the Taycan is replacing one Tesla).
Sorry I meant a poll option above.

In Europe Tesla uses the same standard as everyone else so you can plug any car (including Taycan) into a home installed Tesla Wall charger. I have a Porsche Mobile connect system sitting in the bag as the existing Tesla charger makes it redundant

gps217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I think I have figured out what set up I am going to use but would like to see this confirmed explicitly:

If I have a Nema 14-50 plug installed I will be able to simply plug in the mobile charger plus that comes with the car and charge my car overnight?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I think I have figured out what set up I am going to use but would like to see this confirmed explicitly:

If I have a Nema 14-50 plug installed I will be able to simply plug in the mobile charger plus that comes with the car and charge my car overnight?
as long as you order the NEMA 14-50 supply cable with your vehicle/pmc+ that will be no problem - and everything will "just work" - NEMA 14-50 is the default choice for PMC+/PMCC in North America if you do not specify otherwise - check with your dealer/order to confirm you are receiving a NEMA 14-50 supply cable with your PMC+ - see picture below from Porsche Taycan website - "standard equipment"

Porsche Taycan What level are you?  Post your garage charging plans or what you've done Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 7.57.50 AM

Taycan Standard Equipment PDF Attached - NOTE: NEMA 14-50 supply cable is listed in the "eMobility" section…

the following alternate PMC+/PMCC supply cables are available for $0 at order lock time w/Dealer -
note these are most expensive when ordered later via VW/Audi/Porsche parts - they are in fact so expensive that I recommend just buying a whole alternate EV charger (EVSE) - these parts and chargers are shared across the VW/Audi/Porsche products and are in fact nearly identical (eTron owners receive something very very very similar to the PMC+ with an Audi Logo - but they can share supply cables with the PMC+/PMCC).
  • NEMA 6-30
  • NEMA 14-30
  • NEMA 6-50
NEMA 6-30 & 14-30 are 30 amp plugs for North America and will result in a raw charge rate of 5.76 kW (vs. 9.6 kW for 6-50/14-50 - i.e. slower charging than 14-50/6-50) - usage of these plugs requires a 30 amp breaker dedicated circuit installed by your electrician -the two plugs are functionally identical for EV charging it purely a matter of preference or pre-existing condition/install as to which one to choose.

Why use 30 amp plug?
  • Cost may be cheaper.
  • It may be all your home/electrical-panel can handle with out major upgrades
  • pre-existing unused plug in the garage so this approach could be low cost and low effort.
NEMA 6-50 is functionally identical to NEMA 14-50 for EV charging (both yield 9.6 kW raw charge rate) - NEMA 14-50 plugs have a 4th connector for the electrical neutral which is used by RV's for their power hook ups - the Neutral is unused by North American EVSE's (PMC+/PMCC/others) - so the choice between plugs is purely personal or pre-exisitng condition/install. NEMA 14-50 is the preferred supply cable because you are more likely to encounter a 14-50 while away from home - for purely home use 6-50 or 14-50 makes _NO_ difference - adapters to convert 6-50 to 14-50 or 14-50 to 6-50 are safe, effective and simple and easily ordered from Amazon for less than $50 - so if you have a 6-50/14-50 and the additional converter from Amazon your PMC+/PMCC could easily be compatible with either a 6-50 or 14-50 plug at home or while traveling.

Porsche Taycan What level are you?  Post your garage charging plans or what you've done Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 8.08.03 AM

Attachments

Last edited:

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if you plan to travel with your Taycan and want to be able to use both a NEMA 14-50 plug or NEMA 6-50 plug - here are example adapters from Amazon that are safe, effective, simple and cheap…for purely home use these adapters are UNECESSARY - the only reason to carry one of these is if you want to increase your charging options for when you are away from home

Scenario: You own a PMC+/PMCC w/NEMA 14-50 Supply Cable
You arrive at a hotel with a NEMA 14-50 plug accessible in the parking lot
Adapter Required: NONE - you already own/use a NEMA 14-50 supply cable.

Scenario: You own a PMC+/PMCC w/NEMA 14-50 Supply Cable
You arrive at a hotel with a NEMA 6-50 plug accessible in the parking lot
Adapter Required: NEMA 6-50P to NEMA 14-50R - $42 from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Weld...s=6-50+to+14-50+adapter&qid=1632928583&sr=8-5
It is safe? YEs because NEMA 6-50 and 14-50 are both 50 amp plugs - this is a safe and simple adapter requiring no changes to the charge rate of the PMC+/PMCC. In the picture below the NEMA 6-50 "end" is the one with the exposed 3 prongs - the NEMA 14-50R "female" end is where you'll plug in your PMC+/PMCC

Porsche Taycan What level are you?  Post your garage charging plans or what you've done 517TkLmF6qL._AC_SL1100_

Scenario: You own a PMC+/PMCC with NEMA 6-50 supply cable
You arrive at a hotel with a NEMA 14-50 plug accessible in the parking lot
Adapter Required: NEMA 14-50P to NEMA 6-50R - $23.89 from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Welder-Adapt...s=6-50+to+14-50+adapter&qid=1632928583&sr=8-8
It is safe? YEs because NEMA 6-50 and 14-50 are both 50 amp plugs - this is a safe and simple adapter requiring no changes to the charge rate of the PMC+/PMCC. In the picture below the NEMA 6-50 "end" is the female "end" - the NEMA 14-50P "male" end is where you'll plug into the hotel parking lot plug - your PMC+/PMCC w/6-50 supply cable will plug into the NEMA 6-50R female "end".
Porsche Taycan What level are you?  Post your garage charging plans or what you've done 51J6QEehM0L._AC_SL1000_

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Summary: NEMA 14-50 is standard/default and a great choice. However if you get a NEMA 6-50 plug/supply cable don't sweat it - an adatper/converter from 6-50 to 14-50 is easy, safe, and not a lot of money - and having one anyways is useful so that you can use either plug type while away from home.

NEMA 6-50 for home install "might" be the preferred option because it's a 3 wire install rather than a 4 wire install - depending on length/complexity of the install this may save some money since the electrician will not have to pull an additional 4th high amp capacity wire (copper is wicked expensive right now) for the unused 4th connector electrical neutral connection.

NEMA 14-50 is the default "best" choice in North America because it's the most common 240V/50 amp plug you are likely to run into the wild, but that only matters if you plan to use a PMC+/PMCC when away from home - for home use there is no real advantage or disadvantage to either plug type because your PMC+/PMCC will match what ever you tell your electrician to install.

As demonstrated above however a safe, effective, simple converter between 6-50/14-50 is less than $50 from Amazon so if you get the "wrong" plug or supply cable - there is a simple solution - and the solution is as useful as part of your "road warrior" EV I want to charge anywhere kit…

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Advanced User Warning:

Boat owners will be or should be familiar with "marine shore power" connectors - what they may not realize is these are simply a locking plug type for a NEMA 6-50 (2 hots + ground) connector - 240V @ 50 amps.

It also turns out there are more of these than you might imagine because this type of connector is used in connection with the following types of usage:
  • marina's
  • parking-lots/stadiums/concert venues (power for the stage equipment)
  • high capacity generators
  • some RV parks have them instead of NEMA 14-50
  • some race tracks have them in the paddocks (Sonoma Raceway for example has no NEMA 14-50's but does have a few NEMA SS2-50R plugs around the paddock)
Amazon also sells simple, cheap, effective "shore power" to NEMA 14-50 plug adapters as well $47.42:

https://www.amazon.com/ONETAK-SS2-5...+to+marine+shore+power&qid=1632929659&sr=8-12

advanced Taycan owners which to maximize their away from home charging options can add one of these bad boy's to their collection and then also be able to charge from these types of 240V/50 amp plug types (generators for emergency use for example).

Porsche Taycan What level are you?  Post your garage charging plans or what you've done 61y6n1yIBsL._AC_SL1500_

Last edited:

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
a "kit" for 50 amp NEMA plugs types in North America could be:
  • PMC+/PMCC w/NEMA 14-50 supply cable - charge anywhere you find a NEMA 14-50R (plug socket) - included with your Taycan $0
  • [Adapter] - NEMA 6-50P to NEMA 14-50R adapter cable - charge anywhere you find a NEMA 6-50R (plug socket) - $50 or less
  • [Adapter] - NEMA SS2-50P-* to NEMA 14050R adapter cable - charge at marina's, parking lots, concert venues, and generators - $50 or less
actual utilization will be very very low for these adapters, but piece of mind while traveling away from home may be very very high if you want confidence in your ability to charge at most any 240V/50 amp plug type while traveling.

* - for maximum confusion NEMA SS2-50P is also known as 886399 shore power - both are equivalent and there is no functional difference.

Last edited:

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Level 7 - I have my new 80A / 19.2kW Porsche Wall Charger Connect sitting in the box awaiting installation by my electrician. All I need after that is my CT4 to connect it to!

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Level 7 - I have my new 80A / 19.2kW Porsche Wall Charger Connect sitting in the box awaiting installation by my electrician. All I need after that is my CT4 to connect it to!
Pictures of the supply cable for your 19.2 kW PMCC please?

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Pictures of the supply cable for your 19.2 kW PMCC please?
I haven’t opened it up yet, but from the surprisingly thorough installation instructions (available online) it apparently doesn’t come with a supply cable / pigtail. Instead it accepts a variety of wire gauges (AWG 0 to AWG 4).
I will have my new 100A circuit run to a disconnect, and then conduit/supply gauge of my electrician’s choosing from the disconnect to the PWCC.

I shall definitely share some pictures when I get to installing it!

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I haven’t opened it up yet, but from the surprisingly thorough installation instructions (available online) it apparently doesn’t come with a supply cable / pigtail. Instead it accepts a variety of wire gauges (AWG 0 to AWG 4).
I will have my new 100A circuit run to a disconnect, and then conduit/supply gauge of my electrician’s choosing from the disconnect to the PWCC.

I shall definitely share some pictures when I get to installing it!
still curious how it attaches to the "top" of the PMCC…any picture of that?

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
still curious how it attaches to the "top" of the PMCC…any picture of that?
Promise I will follow up with real pics when I get to it, but in the meantime, here are the closest illustrations from the manual. Seems like the supply is fed in either from top or bottom of the case, and then connected internally to the main unit.
Porsche Taycan What level are you?  Post your garage charging plans or what you've done 34F0DA37-B9DF-4151-9414-DD3F68893BA8

Porsche Taycan What level are you?  Post your garage charging plans or what you've done 95C2CF27-92B1-41BA-BE33-7420A77306E5

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I ran a dedicated 150amp sub-panel to my garage and have a 60amp circuit with Tesla Wall Connect version 3 installed and an 80amp Tesla tap for the Taycan usage. I did all of this when I expected that my '21 Model S order was going to come to fruition on my stated delivery date (suprise, surprise, it didn't). When that didn't happen and it continued to arbitrarily move with no response from Tesla as to why and when, I ordered my 4S and adapted with the TeslaTap option keeping everything else the same. In the event my Tesla order EVER materializes and I choose to take it, I'll be able to support both at least. I should take possession tomorrow or Monday and I can't wait to try it all out.
Sponsored