What level are you? Post your garage charging plans or what you've done

What EV level are you?

• Level 4 - I don't use my electric water heater any more - so I'll use it's plug for my EV

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

astrojeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, VW ID.4, 2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I ran a dedicated 150amp sub-panel to my garage and have a 60amp circuit with Tesla Wall Connect version 3 installed and an 80amp Tesla tap for the Taycan usage. I did all of this when I expected that my '21 Model S order was going to come to fruition on my stated delivery date (suprise, surprise, it didn't). When that didn't happen and it continued to arbitrarily move with no response from Tesla as to why and when, I ordered my 4S and adapted with the TeslaTap option keeping everything else the same. In the event my Tesla order EVER materializes and I choose to take it, I'll be able to support both at least. I should take possession tomorrow or Monday and I can't wait to try it all out.
Congrats on your new car! I did the same thing. I had a Plaid on order set for August delivery. Then they changed the date to February. No communication from Tesla. The customer service has gone to pot since we originally bought our cars 6 years ago. At that point I ordered a 4S which will arrive the first week in January, if all goes well. Still on schedule. I moved my Tesla wall charger to charge my wife's Model S and installed the Porsche Wall Charger Connect on my side for the new car.

Jeff
Sponsored

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Congrats on your new car! I did the same thing. I had a Plaid on order set for August delivery. Then they changed the date to February. No communication from Tesla. The customer service has gone to pot since we originally bought our cars 6 years ago. At that point I ordered a 4S which will arrive the first week in January, if all goes well. Still on schedule. I moved my Tesla wall charger to charge my wife's Model S and installed the Porsche Wall Charger Connect on my side for the new car.

Jeff
I thought about doing that, but I genuinely like the footprint of the wall connect v3 a lot more than the porsche option. Time will tell how well it charges and if I stick with it though. It's crazy that I was able to order my 4S in July and take delivery last Friday on October 8th. My delivery date keeps changing on the Model S, but a funny thing happened over the weekend. Since my wife might be interested in taking the S delivery, I updated the color and interior options over the weekend, and because of that lost my lock-in price that was before the 10K price increase. As soon as the price increase went into effect, I got a delivery date of February 17th. This supports my theory that they kept kicking my delivery date that was supposed to have been August of this year because I had an order locked from back in the early spring before the 10K went into effect. Just solidifies my theory that they were screwing me over because I opted to pre-order the new Model S early on, and before they jacked up prices even though I was much further ahead in line than the new reservations.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Promise I will follow up with real pics when I get to it, but in the meantime, here are the closest illustrations from the manual. Seems like the supply is fed in either from top or bottom of the case, and then connected internally to the main unit.
34F0DA37-B9DF-4151-9414-DD3F68893BA8.jpeg

95C2CF27-92B1-41BA-BE33-7420A77306E5.jpeg
How did the install go? Can you share final pictures?

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I ran a dedicated 150amp sub-panel to my garage and have a 60amp circuit with Tesla Wall Connect version 3 installed and an 80amp Tesla tap for the Taycan usage. I did all of this when I expected that my '21 Model S order was going to come to fruition on my stated delivery date (suprise, surprise, it didn't). When that didn't happen and it continued to arbitrarily move with no response from Tesla as to why and when, I ordered my 4S and adapted with the TeslaTap option keeping everything else the same. In the event my Tesla order EVER materializes and I choose to take it, I'll be able to support both at least. I should take possession tomorrow or Monday and I can't wait to try it all out.
Pictures please if you have the time...

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
How did the install go? Can you share final pictures?
It’s delayed. The electrician ghosted me!
While I pursue a new electrician quote, I’ve been working on improving my garage space overall. Nesting ahead of the new arrival perhaps?
I installed Proslat slatwall last weekend and am planning to mount the PWCC directly over that, into the wall studs behind. I might tackle the mounting of the unit (minus the electrical supply) this weekend, in which case I will share pics of the unboxing and mounting. Stay tuned!

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
The customer service has gone to pot since we originally bought our cars 6 years ago.
Having bought 5 Teslas between 2013 & 2018 - it was never any good for me - my perspective is - same as it ever was - it was never any good, so it couldn't have gotten worse cause Tesla's customer service sucks, has always sucked, and will always suck…good thing their products are strong enough that after you go through the torture of their abysmal business practices you don't have to interact with them very much after taking delivery…but that's just my $0.02

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Pictures please if you have the time...
Sure thing. Haven't painted the walls in the garage yet, as you can see. Did throw down flooring and get the whole thing organized while waiting for my order to progress. Need to get around to mudding, sanding and painting as the weather cools. :). I ended up throwing the sub-panel in an alcove I have in the garage with my work bench and tools and stuff, so it worked out well. I have enough extra in the panel to throw an additional charger, or heating/cooling if I end up wanting it in the garage. Trying to plan ahead in the build out.

Porsche Taycan What level are you?  Post your garage charging plans or what you've done charger

Porsche Taycan What level are you?  Post your garage charging plans or what you've done sub-panel

Porsche Taycan What level are you?  Post your garage charging plans or what you've done wall charger

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It’s delayed. The electrician ghosted me!
While I pursue a new electrician quote, I’ve been working on improving my garage space overall. Nesting ahead of the new arrival perhaps?
I installed Proslat slatwall last weekend and am planning to mount the PWCC directly over that, into the wall studs behind. I might tackle the mounting of the unit (minus the electrical supply) this weekend, in which case I will share pics of the unboxing and mounting. Stay tuned!
I found myself doing the exact same thing while I was playing the waiting game. Did a full reno on the garage and it's been good busy work while I was neurotically checking TYD :)

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My charger sits on the floor and is plugged into the wall.

sc68z28

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan, 2019 Sprinter, 1968 Z/28
Country flag
you've read the post - now declare your EV charging level!!
Is this thread dead? Seems like a good one. Thanks daveo4EV, I've been reading a lot of the info you have provided in many threads here. I know just enough about electrical to get me in trouble.
New guy here, Please forgive me for I have sinned. It's been 5 years since my last EV and almost 30 years since my last Porsche... a 928 and 911's before that.
I will be "level 5" on your scale. So far I have pulled 3 AWG #6's and one #8 ground into an RV 14-50 outlet box. Using the PMC+ @ 50% until I get the replacement recalled 14-50 cord.
I need to upgrade the outlet to a Hubbell #9450A and probably need to change the box at that point.
My 2023 CPO Taycan RWD, will only see around 3K miles a year. I'm retired, just a bit of local driving. Any out of town trips we have a Sprinter travel van and when I feel the need for speed... The Camaro (in my avatar) is mid 2 second 0 to 60mph at the track.

---Bill.

Porsche Taycan What level are you?  Post your garage charging plans or what you've done IMG_20240225_102256321

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
not dead - but a lot of this is now "common" knowledge and less "insightful" - but thank you for your kind words - I try and share knowledge since this is all new…

once you have the "hubble" socket running at full 40 amps should be no issue…or alternative EVSE are ubiquitous and affordable.

Watchesandburgers

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Purchased the CharePoint EVSE and have the house wired with a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage. Charged my Tesla with it for 10 years. Now the Taycan. I’ve rotated the plug 90 degrees from this picture so the supply cord isn’t kinked as much.
Porsche Taycan What level are you?  Post your garage charging plans or what you've done IMG_7891

Pe4ivko

First Name
Andrii
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F30
Country flag
Hi.
It is not directly for this topic but can't find proper one and don't wish to create new just for rone question:
Does 2025 taycan have AC plug on board? I mean to give power to some other electric devices?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi.
It is not directly for this topic but can't find proper one and don't wish to create new just for rone question:
Does 2025 taycan have AC plug on board? I mean to give power to some other electric devices?
not that I'm aware - the new Macan EV has this option in North American configurator (eMobility section)

.1 Taycan does not have it
.2 Taycan North American configurator does not offer it…and it's not listed as 'standard equipment'
Sponsored

Last edited: