What level are you? Post your garage charging plans or what you've done

What EV level are you?

• Level 4 - I don't use my electric water heater any more - so I'll use it's plug for my EV

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Me and many of the Scandihooligans here are Level 6.5 - 11kW achieved using 400V/16A.

Edit1: Installed the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect in the garage. No need (for me) to have it in the car.

Edit 2: The PMCCs are delivered with different specs. For instance:

US spec (Max 9,6kW):
Porsche Taycan What level are you?  Post your garage charging plans or what you've done 1603646786962

Scandi spec (Max 11kW MY2020, Max 22kW MY2021):
Porsche Taycan What level are you?  Post your garage charging plans or what you've done 1603646822987

Edit3: And who doesn't want a BJ, btw? (I'll show myself out...)

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@JasonATX I have _NEVER_ regretted having fast charging at home - it’s quite frankly very very satisfying that when I plug my Model X in that is virtually no amount of driving that will take more than 2 hours to charge!! (2017 Model X P100D w/Optional 72 amp charger (90 amp breaker))

Congrats - and if you’re ever on the west coast I can hook you up with some “known” 64 amp or better chargers!!

My goal is never to have anyone not do something, it’s to make sure they are making a well informed decision!!

JasonATX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY20 G63, MY20 Model X, MY21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
This thread was INSANELY helpful in deciphering the options.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
I have a Tesla wall charger which I’m planning to replace with the Porsche mobile charger unit
Can this Porsche unit be hardwired directly to the wall or do I need to plug into a 240V outllet?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
nema 14-50

the tesla wall unit charges my taycan just fine fyi...

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@PanameraFrank - for those that wish to follow in your foot steps - what EVSE are you using and what charge rate does the Taycan report on the center console lower screen while charging? (both the mpm & kw number if you can please)

oh and please vote - I don’t see any votes for level 2 :)
I looked back at the other thread you referenced and I'm a bit confused by your "levels".

I'm 240V/16a on a 20a breaker, not 120V/16. Would you like me to list as level 2 or 4?

I use the ClipperCreek LCS-20.

Will then edit this post w/ charging info I collect tonight.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
level 4 :)

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Level 6.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bought a new Wallbox for my other home. Use the Porsche charger in my primary residence.

Dr Monty

First Name
Monty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, BMW iX50, Audi
Country flag
Choices in Japan are more constrained, so I'm getting 200V 50amp circuit installed. In theory, this will be (partially) fed by solar panel array which dump (some of) their power into two Tesla Powerwall battery units, so at least a fraction of the power will be very green and free if I blithely ignore the CAPEX of the solar system and batteries. Which I will do. YOLO....

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hmmm, I don't see my option. I have 2 EVSEs installed on a single 50 Amp circuit, using sharing. So, 9.6 kW, not 7.2. Except when it's 4.8 if my wife is charging her car at the same time...
@porsche_coyote, We have ordered a second EV, and like you, will be sharing a 50 amp circuit between the two vehicles. I plan to order a couple clipper creek share2’s. But I am concerned about using the charging timers. It seems that on initial plug-in, the Taycan briefly checks the power supply of the charger. Then presumably it starts charging at the necessary time using that power supply and the set time of completion in the timer.

But my concern is that it will check power supply on plug-in, determite it has 9.6 kw, but actually only have 4.8 kw when both vehicles are charging.

Did you abandon use of timers all-together? Or have you figured out a better solution?

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
It might be interesting to add to the poll how many people use multiple EVSE's shared on one AC connection. My house only has 100 amp service and my Juicebox 40 works fine with my EVs as long as I charge one at a time.
But at some point I might need multiple EVSE's and they will need to share the one AC connection.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@PanameraFrank - for those that wish to follow in your foot steps - what EVSE are you using and what charge rate does the Taycan report on the center console lower screen while charging? (both the mpm & kw number if you can please)

oh and please vote - I don’t see any votes for level 2 :)
Here I am... voted for Level 2 (instead for Level 6).... which means 11kw for me without any changes on my infrastructure (400V, 16A, with Porsche mobile charger).
Sponsored