What the point of roof rails? Every image of CT with that thing.

Jackson

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 640d, CT4
Country flag
Hey guys. I am new to cross Turismo cars, mostly went for sports sedans before. But this time I couldn't resist the temptation for a universal EV car.
I ordered CT in carrara white to stay with a sporty look as much as possible (see picture below). But almost every image I see on Instagram/TikTok has roof rails.

What is the point?
In my opinion, it looks a bit strange on fast luxury cars. Am I missing something significant?:)

33 y.o, no kids, no dogs.

Porsche Taycan What the point of roof rails? Every image of CT with that thing. iris

Porsche Taycan What the point of roof rails? Every image of CT with that thing. iris (1)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hey guys. I am new to cross Turismo cars, mostly went for sports sedans before. But this time I couldn't resist the temptation for a universal EV car.
I ordered CT in carrara white to stay with a sporty look as much as possible (see picture below). But almost every image I see on Instagram/TikTok has roof rails.

What is the point?
In my opinion, it looks a bit strange on fast luxury cars. Am I missing something significant?:)

33 y.o, no kids, no dogs.

iris.jpeg

iris (1).jpeg
If you don't add the rails then you can't add a roof box, cycle rack, fishing rack and so on using the Porsche Transport System.

I think now you are forced to take the 'Preparation for rear cycle carrier' for MY22 orders which saves a costly retrofit should you want to hang a bike or two off the rear. This negates the need for the bars if you don't plan on transporting other items. The actual cycle carrier is a costly £1600+ (UK).

On cars with no Pano roof (saloons and CTs) you can't retro fit roof bars (saloon) and rails (CT) so be careful when ordering.

On a white car the gloss black rails blend into the Pano roof due to the curvature so you don't actually notice them (low in profile). Adds to the 'sporty' youth outdoorsy lifestyle image....

Aside from the absence of rails you will find the interior claustrophobic with no Pano roof and a dark interior.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Roof boxes, skis, bikes, camping gear, kid gear, etc.......

I tend to put roof racks/boxes on most of my cars.

Porsche Taycan What the point of roof rails? Every image of CT with that thing. IMG_6769.JPG
Porsche Taycan What the point of roof rails? Every image of CT with that thing. IMG_1309
Porsche Taycan What the point of roof rails? Every image of CT with that thing. IMG_7032%20(2)

schredder13

First Name
Florian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Benz G, Taycan 4 Cross Turismo in week 41
Country flag
Exactly. Otherwise why get the CT?
„ Off-road use„ could be the rational? :cool:
Sorry @Jackson no offense…
I have two kids, in my avatar you can see my G-wagon, and we manage to even get that one packed for a 10 day trip…so rails and box are no question for me. 2-3 times a year for a couple of days, and I wanted the pano roof anyway. Coming from an Gelandewagen the little more rugged look fits, for me at least (especially with the black wheel arches)

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
He might ski, fish, cycle, kayak, canoe ;)
If he was an outdoor weekend Warrior then he would already know the point of roof racks and wouldn't be posting this question ?

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
Actually, I added rails to my order after never thinking about them. Now that the new US configurator has the proper graphics (pana roof in pictures now), I add them and they look nice to me. Maybe loos a mile or 2 in the aero department, but it's a daily commuter and not a road tripper.

-ThinkMac-

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I went for the CT simply because I have a dog, otherwise it would be the saloon. I have never had roof rails on a car in 50 years :)
I much prefer the look without rails and particularly without the pano roof.
I didn't notice whether the one I drove had a pano roof or not, so hardly an essential fitment for me so easy to choose the better looking (to me) option so no roof rails for me either.
I am bored rigid by the inevitable black interiors anyway so will go for something paler.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
The practical question is what’s the range with a roofbox or other outdoor accessory on these rails during a roadtrip. I see at least a 25% hit on Panamera ST which isn’t an issue @ 500+ miles per tank, but the frequency of stops with the TCT + roofbox would make it a nonstarter for a western US roadtrip where 600-900 miles in a day is a given.

I’m excited to roadtrip my wife’s TCT at some point but will plan to travel light and as aero as possible.

Also would love to see photos of someone transporting kayaks, paddle boards, etc on the TCT.
Sponsored

Last edited: